What was shipped with this unit - SN in thread

Squirlee

And there we go. Both 40 amp fuses on the converter are blown.

I will talk with the dealership before I replace them and see if they want to look at it first.

I am learning. Thanks for the help!

You posted pictures of the Inverter, not the Power Converter. Inverters change 12V DC into 120V AC. Converters change 120V AC into 12V DC.

The Power Converter supplies 12V DC power to the fuse box inside the coach, and also to the battery to keep it charged.

The inverter that powers the refrigerator is usually in the front compartment near the batteries.

The Power Converter is usually behind the rear wall of the pass through storage. I've attached a picture from a Landmark 365 with the rear wall out of the way.

The Landmark 365 User Guide might help you out. A lot of the components are the same.

The 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostic Guide might also help you figure out what's going on.

jbeletti

Generally those are three 30 amp fuses. Check the specs for your converter to know what it should have - then replace all 3. Best to do that with the converter unplugged. If they blow right away again, you have a short or cross-polarity somewhere in the DC circuit.

I'm wondering if your dealer did some "custom" DC wiring for you for some item or purpose. Even if they didn't, yet they messed with the batteries, hooking them up backwards or shorting, just for a second will blow those fuses. Generally doesn't hurt the converter - the fuses are the protection.

I wouldn't haul it back to the dealer for the fuses. Get them swapped out and go from there. Circle back here every step of the way if needed. You will not be judged friend. You will be assisted by the likes of those who have learned before you. Before long, you'll be paying it forward at some campground where some other poor fella has an issue you are now expert on :)

Bones

Here is what my batteries looked like in the box for your reference.

0228161258b.jpg

I have 2 batteries.

danemayer

That is my battery box but there is only one battery. Thanks for the pic.
With the residential refrigerator, I'm pretty sure you need 2 batteries to supply enough power to keep the fridge running during a day of towing and an overnight stop without shore power.

You might call Heartland to make sure that your RV shipped with 2 batteries. It is starting to sound like maybe the dealer ran into some problem and removed one battery. And perhaps blew the fuses on the Converter while working on it.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Dan, question. Is HL now installing batteries at the plant again? There were years the dealers installed battery's. Then HL installed them and I heard HL stopped installing them again. So what's the deal?

It sounds like his dealer owe's him another battery and he needs to make sure its the same as the one he has now.

danemayer

Dan, question. Is HL now installing batteries at the plant again? There were years the dealers installed battery's. Then HL installed them and I heard HL stopped installing them again. So what's the deal?

It sounds like his dealer owe's him another battery and he needs to make sure its the same as the one he has now.

Bob, this came up in the past year and if I remember correctly, we were told that Heartland does now ship batteries. I'd add however, that Heartland has a bunch of different brands and plants, so I wouldn't be surprised to find that there are exceptions.

That said, with the residential refrigerator option, I'm pretty sure Heartland is shipping 2 batteries with the rig.

But I notice that the Oakmont 345RS residential refrigerator is 16 cu ft (versus 22 cu ft in some other trailers). It's possible that the smaller refrigerator uses less power and might not need 2 batteries to keep the fridge cold all day while towing. So they might have spec'd the Oakmont differently.

Squirlee, you might want to call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Ask them how many batteries are included in your Oakmont.

Squirlee

Thanks again for all the help and advice. The forum is awesome.

I couldn't find any 40a fuses at my local Canadian Tire so I grabbed some 30a and it is now charging properly. I will have to get some 40a fuses and hopefully it was just a matter of someone shorting the wires by mistake.

Now I just need to determine if I should have got 2 batteries or if 1 is the norm and I will call Heartland for that information.

Thanks again everyone.

danemayer

Thanks again for all the help and advice. The forum is awesome.

I couldn't find any 40a fuses at my local Canadian Tire so I grabbed some 30a and it is now charging properly. I will have to get some 40a fuses and hopefully it was just a matter of someone shorting the wires by mistake.

Now I just need to determine if I should have got 2 batteries or if 1 is the norm and I will call Heartland for that information.

Thanks again everyone.

You might want to also call Progressive Dynamics or whoever supplied the Power Converter to confirm the fuse values. I might be wrong, but I thought the Progressive Dynamics unit shipped with 30 amp fuses. No idea about WFCO or other brands.

Squirlee

I checked with WFCO and they are 40A fuses in this converter. It is a 75A converter using dual 40A fuses.

You might want to also call Progressive Dynamics or whoever supplied the Power Converter to confirm the fuse values. I might be wrong, but I thought the Progressive Dynamics unit shipped with 30 amp fuses. No idea about WFCO or other brands.

mlpeloquin

I checked with WFCO and they are 40A fuses in this converter. It is a 75A converter using dual 40A fuses.

Sounds like they are using two 40A fuses in parallel to protect the 75 amp output. The converter must have a surge spec that exceeds the 80 amps for a period of time without damage. If you draw 75 amps with a fuse rated at 75 amps or even a circuit breaker, it will blow or trip in a specified period of time by the manufactures specs. My former life as a design and process engineer.

jbeletti

Sorry about leading you down the wrong path on this. Many of us are so familiar with the Progressive Dynamics converter, how it works and what it has for fuses - we (I) just assumed... Happy to hear you have confirmation on what you need. Buy a couples sets of them by taking a blown one with you and you'll be all set for fuses.

Squirlee

To the contrary. You have all directed me to actually finding out what was wrong.

Sorry about leading you down the wrong path on this. Many of us are so familiar with the Progressive Dynamics converter, how it works and what it has for fuses - we (I) just assumed... Happy to hear you have confirmation on what you need. Buy a couples sets of them by taking a blown one with you and you'll be all set for fuses.

crussian

Hi Folks - read the posts on this thread discussing batteries. One reply caught my attention. I guess my question is, while I am towing my Oakmont 345RS (with 2 batteries), isn't the truck charging the batteries as needed? I switch on the By-Pass switch once hooked to the truck and off I go. Once I'm at the campsite, I turn the ByPass switch off and hook to shore power. Am I doing this right? Is my assumption correct about the batteries charging while driving?

I'm pretty sure it's not much of a charge but ....

Thanks.

Bones

Hi Folks - read the posts on this thread discussing batteries. One reply caught my attention. I guess my question is, while I am towing my Oakmont 345RS (with 2 batteries), isn't the truck charging the batteries as needed? I switch on the By-Pass switch once hooked to the truck and off I go. Once I'm at the campsite, I turn the ByPass switch off and hook to shore power. Am I doing this right? Is my assumption correct about the batteries charging while driving?

I'm pretty sure it's not much of a charge but ....

Thanks.
I may be missing something but what bypass switch are you using?

Squirlee

If you are referring to the red switch beside the inverter, I think that is the battery cutoff switch?

20160307_183211.jpg
[/URL]

danemayer

Most rigs with residential refrigerators have two cutoff switches on the 12V system. One cuts power to the inverter that powers the residential refrigerator and the other cuts power to the rest of the trailer.

There may be some units with residential refrigerators that have only one cutoff switch- not sure about Oakmont.

If this is the "bypass" you're talking about, it's not necessary to turn it off during travel. And if you turn off power to the inverter while traveling, your refrigerator will not be cooling.

Attachments

• Battery Cutoff Switches annotated.jpg
    Battery Cutoff Switches annotated.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 22

Bones

Most rigs with residential refrigerators have two cutoff switches on the 12V system. One cuts power to the inverter that powers the residential refrigerator and the other cuts power to the rest of the trailer.

There may be some units with residential refrigerators that have only one cutoff switch- not sure about Oakmont.

If this is the "bypass" you're talking about, it's not necessary to turn it off during travel. And if you turn off power to the inverter while traveling, your refrigerator will not be cooling.
I wish I had a second switch to turn off power to the inverter. I only have one switch and the inverter always has power.