ATF: Landmark - Winegard TV PVR Setup

KNPMCM

My dealer has transferred my existing Wingard Dish to my new Ashland and told me that they were unable to connect the PVR Box in the Living Room because there wasn't two cables run to this area. I can't imagine that HL would over look something so basic. I found the Coax Schematic in the forum and would like to know if this is current for the 2016 Ashland? Can you provide the info required for the Dealer to properly install the PVR box in the Living room?

Kirk Nolte

Attachments

• 2013.5_LM-BH_Coax_Layout.pdf
    161 KB · Views: 66

danemayer

The Winegard Travl'er, unless very, very old, should have a SWM LNB. Your receiver, unless very, very old, should also support SWM.

SWM only requires one wire from the dish to the receiver.

Which Winegard model do you have?

Which receiver model do you have?

busted2341

I have fixed the grainy by finding the lose connection behind UDC, so I get HD in the LR and regular Sat. in bedroom and outdoor TV's by splitting signal. Nice...

I have been able to split the satillite, cable and OTA signal from the upper left cabnet in the Ent. Center inside the coach. I have 1 DISH 211z receiver that only allows for HDMI and RC jacks in the back. I have the receiver hooked into thhe HDMI and I have the RCA jacks hooked into the RF modulater so that I get no interferrence on the outside TV. I then split the cable/OTA cable to the bedroom and surprisingly I get satillite in the bedroom but the picture is just not clear. It's viewable but grainy.

My question is, can I split the RF Modulator at the receiver to solve that problem in the bedroom. In other words just plug in a RCA spliter into the receiver then run two modulators off the one receiver to both TVs?

I am using DISH Network with the Winegard GM-1518 Carryout Satellite TV Antenna mounted on a ladder mount .and 211z receiver. Not sure what other receiver will work so you can check DISH for that. I use 12 to 120 Power Converter (5amp). I just run the 12 v line along with the cable to the UDC and mounted a 12v plug in there for poweer. I plug in the converter behind the UDC. When we travel I just unplug it, wind of the cables and attach them to the ladder. Easy. Some day O will attach to the frame so I don't have to do anything but watch TV!... It was realitivly easy....

We don't watch enough TV in the BR to pay for another receiver. I just like doing this stuff??

jbeletti

My dealer has transferred my existing Wingard Dish to my new Ashland and told me that they were unable to connect the PVR Box in the Living Room because there wasn't two cables run to this area. I can't imagine that HL would over look something so basic. I found the Coax Schematic in the forum and would like to know if this is current for the 2016 Ashland? Can you provide the info required for the Dealer to properly install the PVR box in the Living room?

Kirk Nolte

I checked with the plant and confirmed we continue to run 2 coax cables to the living room entertainment area. My sense is that your installer was rushing a bit and for whatever reason, missed it.

KNPMCM

Thanks Jim
Yes I suspect that the installer was cutting corners and wasn't wanting to do the work required to complete the work.
That being said the Dealership only has 4 Heartland units and they may not be familiar enough to know how they are setup. I have forwarded the dealer the Coax Schematic that I found here on the Owners Group.
If they say they can't get it set up I will ask them to contact HL for assistance.

Kirk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

There are 2 cables going from the Docking station to the living room entertainment center. Only 1 is for the Sat and 1 is for OTA/Cable. Why are you needing 2 cables for the dish ?

Well really there is only 1 going straight from Docking station to there, the other goes to the bedroom booster switch.

danemayer

The rooftop pre-wiring comes out in the UDC. To use it, a jumper has to be added to connect the rooftop coax to the living room coax. I've attached a drawing that shows how the UDC connections work.

You also might want to take a look at our Landmark 365 User Guide. Pages 47-49 discuss satellite including some info on installing the rooftop Winegard Trav'ler.

Attachments

• Rushmore UDC COAX Wiring.pdf
    10.9 KB · Views: 40

KNPMCM

Thank you everyone for your feedback. The dealer is telling me that the Shaw PVR requires two cables. Since Im not there to contest I have to take his word for it. They may not be familiar with how the connections are made in the docking station.

Does anyone have a PVR that requires two cable connections?

Kirk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I think that is old school technology. Many years ago we had to have 2 cable if we wanted to watch one channel and record a different channel.
Now with the new boxes you should only need 1 coax cable.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

danemayer

Thank you everyone for your feedback. The dealer is telling me that the Shaw PVR requires two cables. Since Im not there to contest I have to take his word for it. They may not be familiar with how the connections are made in the docking station.

Does anyone have a PVR that requires two cable connections?

Kirk

Kirk,

Maybe Shaw has a newer PVR that supports SWM and only needs 1 wire. SWM has been in play for a number of years. It's also worth a call to Shaw to find out whether your current PVR supports SWM mode. The dealer may just be used to the older MultiSwitch mode that requires 2 wires.

In any event, you have one satellite coax wire going from UDC to the bedroom, and one satellite coax wire from UDC to living room.

If at the end of the day you really need two, you'll either have to run an additional cable from the roof, or run an additional cable from the UDC and hijack the jumper that would normally connect the rooftop line to the bedroom.

Fulltimers

We have ordered the 2017 Newport and I was wondering if there are plans to upgrade the crank up tv antennae to the stationary type (King). I had one on the Redwood and really like the appearance and convenience - especially on such a high end fiver.

jbeletti

We have ordered the 2017 Newport and I was wondering if there are plans to upgrade the crank up tv antennae to the stationary type (King). I had one on the Redwood and really like the appearance and convenience - especially on such a high end fiver.

Andy would have to weigh in to be sure, but I don't see us making a change in this area. Most reviews I've read for the Jack antenna by King Controls are favorable.

If you want something really nice, consider the Winegard Rayzar. Expensive but really nice and no antenna to remember to take back down.

KNPMCM

We picked up the new unit yesterday and i was unable to get the Winegard to work. Not sure what is going on.
Our PVR is less than a year old and is Shaw's latest model. I am going to try and do the hook up on the boxes myself once I can get the Winegard box to function. When I push the power button and hold it for the required 2 seconds (actually held it for about 20 secs) the power goes out again and nothing else happens.

The dealer is going to contact winegard to see what can be done next.

Kirk

KNPMCM

Update to this post.
It turns out that the Winegard cable was faulty.
The issue with the PVR can not be resolved as the Shaw PVR does require two cables from the dish. :( The dealer pulled a second cable from the dish to the Bedroom TV Cabinet but was unwilling to pull second cable to the main TV cabinet.
FYI
I found several loose coax connectors through out the unit. You may want to check these. Particularly the connectors below the slides inside the frame cavity.

Kirk