Summer storage checklists/tip sheets for 7 months of storage in southwest FL?

lslade

Does anyone in the Forum membership have any tip sheets / checklists , etc. for best practices for summer storage must-do/to-do items for closed-up RVs sitting for seven (7) months in southwest Florida (start-April through end-October)?
We're looking particularly for best practices related to minimizing mildew, mold, mice, and insects (cockroaches, ants, wasps).
Ideas related to closed-up storage in high heat, high humidity, intense sun, frequent heavy rainfall, high winds.
Thanks!

Gaffer

If you have power available, use a dehumidifier. Put it in the shower so you don't need to empty it.

Last edited by a moderator:

lslade

Thanks for taking a moment to provide a thought on my question. Much appreciated.
Yes, having power available is an option.

MTPockets

We lived in FL for five summers. I never closed up while there, but will advise to close every space & hole you can to keep the pests/wasps/others out. Wasps will likely build nonetheless under on just about anything like frame, propane storage, on top under A/C hood etc.... They'll find the smallest openings that aren't sealed... Be prepared when you return with wasp spray regardless of what you do to protect.. I would also add tie down straps to anchors into the ground. There are several types depending on parking surface.. Thousands do it in FL all the time, so all you can do based on the advice you get will be good.

lslade

Thanks very much Terry & June for sharing your insights from your past experiences.
Thank you very much for taking time to read and respond to my post.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you have power available and have a Fantastic Fan, leave it on and set to run at 80 - 85 degrees. That will help ventilate the interior and keep it from getting too hot inside. Better still if you have a MaxxAir cover for it, so you don't have to worry about rain shutting it down. Be sure to leave the fridge off and the doors open, too, after you clean the interior. Make sure you thoroughly flush and clean the holding tanks as much as possible before you button it up, or they will be nasty. Don't forget to drain the fresh water tank, too, if you use it.

Westwind

Lots of folks that camp with us leave their FW in Florida, many use large containers of Damp-Rid left throughout the trailer, along with plastic containers of Kittylitter and Charcoal (grille). Many pay a 12 month resident to check the trailer once a week to be sure there aren't any leaks. But most that I know do not use a dehumidifier or leave their AC on. Nor do they leave any of the vents open but I think I would leave one partially open to balance the temps. Most pull in slides also. You might have to bug bomb the trailer when you return. Hope I helped.

donr827

I live in the Miami area and keep my trailer at a paved storage lot. I just left two vents open all the time. They have vent covers on them. I left the fridge door open. Never had a mold problem. It would be a good idea to have someone check on the trailer every week if possible. With power you have a lot more options.
Don

lslade

Lots of folks that camp with us leave their FW in Florida, many use large containers of Damp-Rid left throughout the trailer, along with plastic containers of Kittylitter and Charcoal (grille). Many pay a 12 month resident to check the trailer once a week to be sure there aren't any leaks. But most that I know do not use a dehumidifier or leave their AC on. Nor do they leave any of the vents open but I think I would leave one partially open to balance the temps. Most pull in slides also. You might have to bug bomb the trailer when you return. Hope I helped.

Thanks Westwind for your input. We actually ended up doing most of what you've suggested.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for taking time to read and respond to my post. We are having a check done each week. Love your: "1 wife 1 dog and me". LOL!