Picking up my new Sundance XLT 291QB

MissileMech

Hello All - I am new to TT's (former houseboater) and am driving a long way from CO to OH to pick up our new Sundance. The destination is RV Wholesalers. Can anyone give me some advice on specific issues with Sundance XLTs and general advice is also welcome. I'm really getting excited about this trip because my 17yo son will be traveling with me. Any info to help me keep this trip running smooth will be appreciated.

Thx!
Dave

franks1

Retired Alabama Chapter Leaders
Hi Dave,I am thinking about buying from RV Wholesalers also.They seem to have a good reputation on the different forums I follow.Please let us know about your experience with them from buying thru your pdi and final signing .Thanks Frank

'Lil Guy'

Congrats on your new purchase. Since you're driving a long way to pick it up, it's a long way to have it serviced so do a good, thorough PDI before acceptance. make sure they open it up and operate everything for you before you leave. The one thing they won't do is check your tire pressure before you pull out. Make sure they're aired up properly. Again, congrats and enjoy and hope to meet you down the road.

MissileMech

@franks1, I will provide a purchase/trip report when I get back.

@baker, Thanks for the info. I have downloaded a PDI checklist for the occasion. RV Wholesalers markets their assistance to get me setup with a local RV shop if I need warranty work. We will see how that goes. ;-)

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Also, if it has Towmax tires (known online as 'BlowMax') . . . get rid of them before you hit the road.

And when you get back to Colorado think about joining the Colorado Chapter of the Heartland Owner's Club!

We have an HOC rally coming up in two months in Buena Vista and there are still a few sites left.

We have a blast at each and every rally!

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Hello All - I am new to TT's (former houseboater) and am driving a long way from CO to OH to pick up our new Sundance. The destination is RV Wholesalers. Can anyone give me some advice on specific issues with Sundance XLTs and general advice is also welcome. I'm really getting excited about this trip because my 17yo son will be traveling with me. Any info to help me keep this trip running smooth will be appreciated.

Thx!
Dave

I would highly recommend that you stay locally a night or two and use it before coming back. That gives you a chance to use everything before you return home. Run the slides in and out a couple of times, awning the same, use every switch etc.

Congratulations on your new rig!

MissileMech

Also, if it has Towmax tires (known online as 'BlowMax') . . . get rid of them before you hit the road.

And when you get back to Colorado think about joining the Colorado Chapter of the Heartland Owner's Club!

We have an HOC rally coming up in two months in Buena Vista and there are still a few sites left.

We have a blast at each and every rally!

It has Vail Sport tires. Are there any issues with that brand?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, any suggestions on insurance companies?

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Dave have a safe trip with your son. Ask lots of questions and check everything twice. If you have any questions or problems when you get back you can contact me.

MissileMech

Thanks for all the help. On the road east and I'll update when I can.

The tires are mfg in Vail Colorado for lions head specialty tire. It looks like they had a recall a couple years back.

MissileMech

As promised I am following up with a trip report. The trip out to Ohio started on Monday afternoon with 20 mph winds gusting to 40 throughout the entire route from Colorado Springs to Lakeview OH. We arrived at RV Wholesalers at 9:30 am on Wednesday. My name was on the welcome board and it took only a few minutes before we were walking through the TT. I was shown every feature and system and their operation was explained. They had already installed a deep cycle battery before I had arrived. The staff assured me they do a thorough inspection and they operate all the equipment and appliances. A nine volt battery was removed from the fire alarm due to the fumes when they operate the heater for the first time and burn off the coatings on the components. They check out all the pluming and after that they winterize the systems with compressed air. We checked what we could and had the tanks filled with propane. A winter storm was raging in Colorado and the forecast was for another storm to start Friday night. Given our weather constraints I decided to take the dealer at their word and get on the road. The winds were still raging and I was warned by a professional driver in the lobby that the conditions were going to be potentially dangerous for transporting a travel trailer. Fortunately, I have a lifted 2004 Ford Expedition with new adjustable struts, 2" spacers, and 35" load D tires. In addition, we had a brand new Equal-I-zer hitch. The wider stance and struts at about 80% dampening combined with the hitch made the trailer behave very well in the 40 mph gusts. We were having less trouble than the semi trailers in winds that ranged from head-on to 90 deg cross-winds. I found that 30 mph winds on the nose was a challenge to maintain any speeds above 55 mph. I got good at using the semi trucks as rolling wind blocks. My son and I stopped on the west side of St. Louis for an overnight in a very nice RV park in St. Charles MO. The forecast that evening was for thunderstorms so we were going to see if there were any leaks and if the heater worked. We had several hours of drenching rain and no leaks. The heater worked flawlessly and there was no smell when it operated. We also turned on the fridge and it was nice and cold the next day. We bucked heavy winds the next day until the winds moderated in western Kansas. We made it home at 10:30pm on Thursday night. I am looking at a snow storm outside my window now and thinking I am glad I got home during good weather and I'm lucky that Heartland provided a quality trailer with zero issues, so far. We have not been able to run water through the systems so when it warms up again I can test the gray and black water tanks and the fresh water systems. However, I believe RV Wholesalers have already done that. I am sure we will run into a issues at some point so I bought an extended warranty and expect Heartland with be there for us as we get experience with her.

Would I suggest buying a TT at RVW. Yes, but don't expect to be doted on. They are a volume dealer and they do not provide a lot of customer/dealer interaction. They execute the sale, perform the walk-through, and let you inspect what you want. After that you are provided a tour through the parts department and its time to depart. If it is a kit glove experience you are looking for I would expect to pay a lot more.

I really like this trailer and am very excited to get her out this summer for some great family time. The trip with my son was challenging due to the weather and schedule but is turned out to be a very special experience we both shared and one we will remember with fondness.

Dave

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Glad you had a safe trip and made it here between storms. You were lucky to be gone for the first one.

Gregg