Black tank valve leaking

Cds3100

I'm sure this has been brought up before, I have a 2014 cyclone 3100 , and got the poo shower when I went to go dump. I cleaned the tank and pipe really good and opened / closed the valve to free any debris. What else is there to do to get it to seal right . Also I'm the second owner is the factory warranty is good on something like this if the valve is bad, any tips would be great

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Get one of these from Camping World ($25):

valterratwistoncover-.jpg

Fits right where the cap on your drain goes and the cap then goes on this.

danemayer

Hi Cds3100,

You have the right idea cleaning everything. But it's possible that the previous owner closed the valve while there was paper lying across the opening, jamming it into the slot where the blade closes. As this gets packed down, it can be very hard to clean out. A brush may help if you can find one long enough. The alternative is to take down the coroplast and open the valve to clean it and possibly replace. If you decide to work on the valve, drain the tank completely, then tilt the rig side to side toward the drain a little to drain it some more. Then tilt it slightly away from the drain so anything left in the tank is away from the valve when you open it.

As for warranty, that's for the original owner.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
X2 on the gate valve. No more poop showers or on the feet wearing flip-flops. Don't ask.

mlpeloquin

The valve will leak sooner or later on every coach. Ditto on these. Also known as the oh-oh valve.

I have one. Actually it is the second one. It can spin while going down the road. It does not come off it locks on, but the section with the handle spins. The handle spun and was ground off. Some glue it so it cannot spin. i used lap joint seal. It keeps it from spinning around.

JohnD

I wonder if running some hot water into an empty black tank, letting it soak for a few minutes, then working the gate valve might loosen up some of the grit?

- - - Updated - - -

I have one. Actually it is the second one. It can spin while going down the road. It does not come off it locks on, but the section with the handle spins. The handle spun and was ground off. Some glue it so it cannot spin. i used lap joint seal. It keeps it from spinning around.

I put mine with the gate handle facing up.

It does spin a little when I am taking the cap off, but it can only move a few inches and it hits the pipe hangers in either direction so it can't go full circle.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Had a piece of road debris knock our 1 st one off. We left our DNA on the road for 200 miles. Next one was "blue glued" on.

ParkIt

Yeah but I think you and I know to stand back... ;)
Haven't had a problem but have always been super picky before and after emptying the tanks. Could be the valve flap is brittle and not closing all the way though the thingie John posted would most likely take care of whatever issue is causing it to not open and close properly.
I have used a twist on valve for years with no problems with it coming loose.

mlpeloquin

I wonder if running some hot water into an empty black tank, letting it soak for a few minutes, then working the gate valve might loosen up some of the grit?

- - - Updated - - -

I put mine with the gate handle facing up.

It does spin a little when I am taking the cap off, but it can only move a few inches and it hits the pipe hangers in either direction so it can't go full circle.

For some reason the first one was a little tighter that the second. I did have the handle up, but it still spun up side down.

JohnD

I guess I misspoke earlier . . . it is the gate valves that the Valterra gets stopped on . . . not the hangers.

Just took this photo a couple of minutes ago (and bashed my head on the bedroom slideout while getting up :p ):

ProwlerDrainCap-P3290012.jpg

While mine will spin between the two valves . . . the base is on so tight that I have to really put in some effort to take it off.