Anderson Ultimate Fifth Wheel Hitch

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Anyone have any experience or opinions on this hitch.
2mn0ju9.jpg

This hitch attaches to a gooseneck ball which gives those with the factory fifth wheel prep a different option.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Last time I checked, only the Reese Goosebox was approved for warranty issues..
I know a few that have the Anderson hitch and they love it...If you are out of warranty, it's a non issue.

Perhaps someone on line here has an update if Anderson hitches are now approved by Heartland.

BandGun

I don't have the Andersen hitch however I do have the B&W turnover ball hitch companion. And I just sent the company an email because the shock absorber on the hitch was leaking and asked where I could buy the part and they told me they will send it to me for free! This hitch is over 10 years old and on its second truck. That is outstanding service!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Bohemian

Last time I checked, only the Reese Goosebox was approved for warranty issues..
I know a few that have the Anderson hitch and they love it...If you are out of warranty, it's a non issue.

Perhaps someone on line here has an update if Anderson hitches are now approved by Heartland.

The Anderson hitch is NOT a gooseneck hitch. Itbhas no gooseneck and therefor does not put tgevadditiinal stress on the 5th wheel frame that a goodeneck mount creates. It simply uses the gooseneck ball innthevtruck bed to attack the Anderdon hitfh tomthevtrufk (innone model)

Aandaar

I have one in the box sitting in the garage. Waiting on the unit to get out of service so I can install it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuck, Victoria, and Miss Callie

Aandaar

Yes you do. Complete setup is the hitch, ball for the bed, and the Safety Chain kit. Total cost was about 900.00

Dumboldles

My dealer set me up with the Andersen Ultimate system using the BW turnover ball... I like it mucho.
Easy to install and reinstall and pulls smoothly.

Dumboldles

Gaffer

It comes in aluminum so it weighs very little. The down side is that you can not see it to connect and you have to climb into the bed to attach the chains.

Aandaar

For weight reduction and easy removal I will deal with hooking chains up. Besides thats what kids and grandkids are for. Might as well get some use out of the little freeloaders.

Doublegranch

I just got off the phone with Lippert Support and the Anderson Hitch is not approved by them or Heartland.
Only the Reese Goosebox. While both hitches are not "Gooseneck Hitches" they are on a gooseneck version.
Not sure why the Resse Goosebox is approved and the Anderson is not...but they were very emphatic the Anderson
Hitch would void their warranty.

Rollin_Free

Do you have to buy a goose ball to drop into your bed along with the hitch?

The B&W turn-over ball comes with the in bed mounting kit s you don't have to buy an additional one but you have to use the correct one for B&W hitch.

i purchased my Ultimate last year in the aluminum version and will never go back to conventional hitches again. Where else can you find a 20K hitch with a 4500lb trailer hitch weight that only weighs 32lbs. It is a solid connection that makes the truck and trailer feel like they are one piece. If you haven't watched the utube on this you really should. It shows how it is used and what went into the design.

When I got my new truck last year I was looking into the B&W hitch system and planned to purchase the companion per a fellow veteran RV'er. While doing online research about the companion hitch I ran across the Anderson (Andersen) Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Hitch videos. After watching as many as I could find I was convinced this was for me. I got real tired of asking for help to remove the Curt Slider I had installed previously and was looking to the empty bed feature the B&W in-bed hitch provides when hauling a trailer isn't needed.

There is a side benefit shown in one of the videos that isn't discussed very often. When the hitch is not needed you can flip the hitch ball over on the Ultimate and slide it in the trailer storage. What a perfect idea and a great way of storing the hitch. Image not tripping over a hitch stored in your garage on the floor any longer.

- - - Updated - - -

I just got off the phone with Lippert Support and the Anderson Hitch is not approved by them or Heartland.
Only the Reese Goosebox. While both hitches are not "Gooseneck Hitches" they are on a gooseneck version.
Not sure why the Resse Goosebox is approved and the Anderson is not...but they were very emphatic the Anderson
Hitch would void their warranty.

Hum... First time I have heard this. I want to find out what issue Lippert has with the Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch.

I am also wondering what Lippert support is saying about gooseneck adapters?

Rollin_Free

I just searched Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel vs Reese Goosebox and found the following:

"I also have done a lot of research on the Andersen. I can find Zero negatives. I also need something light. Can't lift much at my age. They've got an Aluminum one coming out that weighs only 32lbs. I've seen some stuff on You Tube. Might check there.

Andersen on their site now has (I think) a $1 million or $10 million guarantee. Also, the Andersen is NOT a goose neck adaptor. The anderson ball connects right at the King Pin. There is Zero additional stress on the pin box."

I do believe the gooseneck adapter should not be approved for any 5th wheel because of different stresses on the trailer but the Anderson ultimate doesn't put any different stress on the hitch than a clam shell 5th wheel hitch does?? This is confusing so I'll contact Anderson to see what they say.

- - - Updated - - -

There is a version that doesn't use a gooseneck ball, uses
rail system.

https://www.andersenhitches.com/Products/3200--ultimate-5th-wheel-connection-rail-version.aspx

i don't this this is the issue. The B&W hitch is rated for 30K. Other than the ball instead of rails the hitch in this link is identical to the original 35lb. Metal hitch that uses the B&W turnover ball.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Does The Anderson hitch come with the Coupler that fits on the kingpin? C or do you have to order it separate?

Rollin_Free

Does The Anderson hitch come with the Coupler that fits on the kingpin? C or do you have to order it separate?

It is part of the kit. If you google Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch you'll see what's included. However you must already have the B&W hidden hitch with the turnover ball installed in your truck.

One thing not mentioned is the chains are purchased separately for about $68. They aren't required in all states but others have discovered it's better to have them on than to sit on the side of the road until the officer confirms the requirement.

Doublegranch

First let me express my interest in this thread.....I am taking delivery of a 2017 Sundance next month and with my ranch I do not want a 5th wheel hitch.
Nor do I want the heavy weight of it to move in and out of the truck. I was going with a Reese goosebox as that was the only approved hitch...but now
considering the Anderson hitch....as it will give me more vertical adjustment for the 2016 Ram with it's high bed rails.

So....I just got off the phone with Anderson District Mgr and then he sent me over to Archie at the factory...wow, what a super individual..
So here is the story from the "Cats mouth".....Lippert does not own Reese but has an agreement for Reese to use proprietary parts from Lippert.
So the inside parts of the goosebox and air bags are all from Lippert. Lippert made the same offer to Anderson however Anderson is a family owned
business for over 61 years and did not want to give up part of their business so declined the offer. Hence, Reese is the only approved "goose neck version"
hitch.
Archie said they have a 5 million dollar insurance policy on each hitch sold. They will completely fix any damage that lippert suggests was caused by the
Anderson hitch. Even up to buying you a brand new RV. He explained that the parts in the goosebox will over time wear out which is the same as any 5th wheel moving parts will
wear out. With the Anderson hitch, there are no moving parts. The ball in your bed rides on a Anderson ball adaptor with a pressed in silicon disc in which no metal
on metal is made...the disc is polishing the ball with any movement. The ball has 3 vertical adjustments. Archie is towing a 3 axle toy hauler on a Ram mega cab and puts over
10,000 miles a year on his RV. In 10 years he has never had an issue.

Hope this will be of assistance to anyone interested in this thread. I will be going with the Anderson hitch. Current price for the Anderson Ultimate aluminum frame greaseless hitch
is $729...Currently on a 3 day back order.