Tool Box

ash289

Looking at a new to me truck with 8 ft. bed - 2005 F250. Can I put a tool box in it and still have room for the 5th wheel hitch. Any turning concerns?
Sundance 2900rk (2008)

Forrest Fetherolf

Yes you can...........no problem. RDS combo fuel/tool box from Northern Freight. Box should not be higher than bed.

Forrest

Attachments

• TRAIL_AMERICA_TIRE_FAILURE06.JPG
    TRAIL_AMERICA_TIRE_FAILURE06.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 74

Clark

Agree with Forrest. Just make sure that the tool box top is level with or below the bed rails. I have seen a number of them out there so just pick and choose.
Clark

ash289

OK. make sure I'm reading this correct - the average tool box that sits on the top of the bed will not work with the 8 ft. bed. So how do you ever pull one with a 5'6" bed or even 6"?

Forrest Fetherolf

It won't work.....................when you make tight turns the RV nose can hit the tool box especially turning in and out of driveways. GM short beds are 6'6" long.
Just don't get a tool box higher than the bed and find out the hard way......crunch!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forrest

TRAVELER07

Founding New Mexico Chapter Leader
Hi ash; What they are trying to say I think is, it's easier to hook up the trailers pin box to the trucks 5th wheel with a low profile tool box than a taller tool box that sits above the trucks bed, the taller tool box will obstruck your vision hooking the trucks 5th wheel to the trailers pin box. But both style tool boxes will fit without interfiring with the trailer TRAVELER07

grizzlygiant

Hi ash; What they are trying to say I think is, it's easier to hook up the trailers pin box to the trucks 5th wheel with a low profile tool box than a taller tool box that sits above the trucks bed, the taller tool box will obstruck your vision hooking the trucks 5th wheel to the trailers pin box. But both style tool boxes will fit without interfiring with the trailer TRAVELER07

i DON'T THINK "THEY" ARE TALKING ABOUT VISUAL OBSTRUCTION. The problem is with physical contact when turning if the box sticks up above the bed rails.

Clark

I did have a tool box that sat on the rails of my long bed F250 and was 3 - 4 inches over them. My old 5W, Lakota, ended up with a chip out of each side of the gel coat where I inadvertantly turned too tightly. It can be avoided with care, but easier to just get a box that was below the bed rails and not worry about it. And yes, it did obstruct my view when backing up to the trailer to hitch up.
Clark

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have a 2006 F250 Long Bed. I had this one installed. American Tank . They will ship it to you and gives you good instructions on how to install the tank. They also have the parts to connect the OEM fuel guage in the truck so when you switch tanks the guage shows the amount of fuel in that tank.

jbeletti

Here's the below the rail tool chest I used in my long bed 2005 Dodge RAM:
truck_chest_lg.jpg

Here's a link to more info/mfr.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Go with a chest type box. Me I run a 91 gallon RDS aux tank (Northern tool) AND a full size Kobalt chest(Lowes)...... and much more. Both are 19" high and flush with the top of the bed sides.

On the tail behind the fifth wheel I use a Northern Tool over the rail type low profile box for stuff you actually use while in transit, whole lot easier to get into it than the main chest up front when hooked up to a fiver.

I find the small tool and fuel combo boxes worthless to put much in, try putting a gallon of Rotella 15w 40 or a couple gallons of windshield wash in the tool and fuel boxes standing up.

IMG00079.jpg

IMG00080.jpg

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
I like the box for the back bumper!

If the truck is mostly for towing the fiver, it's the way to go. If towing a lot you'll find a tailgate, even a Vgate, to be a PITA after a few trips.

K&W makes behind the fifth wheel toolboxes and can custom build a box for you too.

Behind the fifth wheel you can use the
- 200 series flat lid 12" tall in 57" or 60"
- 250 series V- Lid

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Contact info for K&W[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]555 W. Chicago Rd. P.O. Box #97
Bronson, MI 49028[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Toll Free 1-800-860-7185
Phone—517-369-9708[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fax—517-369-9781

Hours of operation:
Monday through Friday--7:00am to 3:30 pm. E.S.T.[/FONT]