ATF: Prowler - Placement of awning . . . design flaw!

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Re: ATF: Prowler - Placement of awning . . . design flaw?

Like I said before, you just need to have some brackets made with a bigger foot print, with a couple more holes in them to hold the bracket tight, and backing plates and the problem will be a mute issue. That coupled with going all the way through the door and wall with the screws. I made my own years ago on a previous rig we had and never had an issue after.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Re: ATF: Prowler - Placement of awning . . . design flaw?

Like I said before, you just need to have some brackets made with a bigger foot print, with a couple more holes in them to hold the bracket tight, and backing plates and the problem will be a mute issue. That coupled with going all the way through the door and wall with the screws. I made my own years ago on a previous rig we had and never had an issue after.

I want to do away with the strut altogether.

Hi John,
it's Ron,
I have my P292 at the dealership for the strut issue. They don't know what to do, they have been in contact with Heartland, but no response? It has been almost a week! I got a call last night, now the awning will not open or close?? Imagine that! Glad it was there anyhow.
keep you posted,
Ron Hawkins

JohnD

Hi John,
it's Ron,
I have my P292 at the dealership for the strut issue. They don't know what to do, they have been in contact with Heartland, but no response? It has been almost a week! I got a call last night, now the awning will not open or close?? Imagine that! Glad it was there anyhow.
keep you posted,
Ron Hawkins

I drilled through the door and put some bolts with lock nuts instead of screws and so far it is holding.

I still need to do something where it is attached to the outside wall above the door . . .

However, I eventually want to get rid of the strut so the door can be opened further!

Here is the fix . . .

ProwlerDoorFix-P1010568.jpg

ProwlerDoorFix-P1010567.jpg

ProwlerDoorFix-P1010565.jpg

Hi John,
Thanks much, the mechanics at the dealership want to put a hook and latch on my door. We looked at another model that has one; it looks, and works great. He is waiting on Heartland to approve it. Then last night he called me about the awning, it will not retract! What would I do if I were out somewhere? I wouldn't have any idea.
Ron

JohnD

Not sure why your awning isn't working . . . unless maybe there is a blown fuse or a bad wire somewhere.

Hopefully they'll figure it out!

I am going to get one of those thingies (door latches) like some have pictured earlier in this thread to see how that works.

My goal is to get rid of that strut . . .

I am also thinking about replacing the window in the entrance door with one that can be opened so that we can get more air flow.