Building a better bike rack

MP_CS

After failing to find many good options for carrying me and DW's bike around i decided i could make something better than i could buy, this is what i came up with... I got the short trays on ebay and the front fork clamps from rocky mounts website, biggest drawback is removing front wheels... You could adapt same idea using the full upright carriers to.. Used it a handful of times and it seems very stable..

image.jpg

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Looks good! Some bikes come with the spindle that has the lever for easily removing the front tire, some do not. Be sure to post another pic with the bikes attached!!

MP_CS

Looks good! Some bikes come with the spindle that has the lever for easily removing the front tire, some do not. Be sure to post another pic with the bikes attached!!

Thanks... Our bikes do have the quick disconnects on the front spindles, the only pain is taking them off, not really that bigga deal though.. I will post some pics of the bikes on asap..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 75

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Looks good.
Keep an eye on that bumper I had a bike rack that mounted to the bumper just like that. The bumper cracked and caved in at the frame rail's and was dragging the bikes down the freeway until somebody flagged me down. we were about ready to loose the whole thing.
It was 15 years ago and 2 adult and 1 kids bike. Bikes are a lot lighter these days.

MP_CS

Looks good.
Keep an eye on that bumper I had a bike rack that mounted to the bumper just like that. The bumper cracked and caved in at the frame rail's and was dragging the bikes down the freeway until somebody flagged me down. we were about ready to loose the whole thing.
It was 15 years ago and 2 adult and 1 kids bike. Bikes are a lot lighter these days.

That was a thought when i built it but i figured if heartland figured it would hold the spare tire that it should hold two bikes that arent as heavy.. I relocated spare to under the bed..

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

It should be fine just check for cracks every once in awhile where the bumper mounts to the frame rails. By the looks of your handy work you could always reinforce it if needed.
Happy trails

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Pirana

Seen plenty of bumpers damaged by bike racks...including my cousins...I went ahead and reinforced my old RV bumper....I wish I could get an answer to see if my new Oakmont bumper is already reinforced for a bike rack.

MP_CS

Seen plenty of bumpers damaged by bike racks...including my cousins...I went ahead and reinforced my old RV bumper....I wish I could get an answer to see if my new Oakmont bumper is already reinforced for a bike rack.

I definitely plan on keeping an eye on it for sure. Luckily i have the means to repair it myself if i ever find anything

Pirana

Cool, since I dont have a welder, I got two "L" metal brackets the same size as the bumper and sandwiched the bumper in "T" and used bolts to tie it all together...sounds weird but it worked for 7 years!

MP_CS

Nice setup you got there, someday i would like to get a fullsize 5er like that but first comes a new truck...haha

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I wish I could get an answer to see if my new Oakmont bumper is already reinforced for a bike rack.

Check your model on the Heartland website to see if one of the options is a rear bumper cargo rack.

If it is . . . your bumper should handle your rack and a couple of bikes.