EVENT: Heartland Chapter Rally: TX, Alpine - 3/17/2017 to 3/19/2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomMar

Retired Texas-South Chapter Leader
Erika - I was not able to talk to anyone at the park but I left a message. Plans are for us to arrive Wednesday 3/16 and depart Monday 3/20, We'll see y'all there.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Erika - I was not able to talk to anyone at the park but I left a message. Plans are for us to arrive Wednesday 3/16 and depart Monday 3/20, We'll see y'all there.

Great Tom, they will get back to you, I am sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrabelson

We would like to come to the rally in Alpine. I tried to call the campground but no answer. Please sign us up.
Vic & Diana Abelson, Minnesota

TravelTiger

We would like to come to the rally in Alpine. I tried to call the campground but no answer. Please sign us up.
Vic & Diana Abelson, Minnesota

Vic and Diana, glad to see you join us! This park has just a few park host residents that do it all, including guiding folks to their sites upon check-in. It could be they are around, but could not get to the phone. Please keep trying!

I will add you to my list (on post 1 of the thread), but please let me know when you get "official" reservations with the park.

Thank you!

Erika

- - - Updated - - -

Folks, I can't say enough great things about this part of Texas. Our first visit ever, even for us Texas Natives, and we were blown away at the beauty and how "other-world-like" it is.

Check out this link to see some great info and photos about Alpine and the Big Bend area.

If you haven't made reservations at the Lost Alaskan, please do so and report back to me your day of arrival and departure.

Can't wait to see you there!

SilverRhino

Just made our reservations with the Lost Alaskan ... We will be arriving on March 15 and departing on March 22nd. Looking forward to visiting this area of Texas!

TravelTiger

Erika, what's the better road to get to Alpine, US Hwy 67 or 385?

Rex, from Cisco we took I-20 to Monahans, down 18 to Fort Stockton, I-10 to 67 then 67 to 90 into Alpine. Took the same route going home.

Maybe longer than other routes but we prefer interstates when trying to get done where with limited time.

rxbristol

Have you traveled US Hwy 385? It also leads to Hwy 90--just wondering which road is in better condition.

TravelTiger

Have you traveled US Hwy 385? It also leads to Hwy 90--just wondering which road is in better condition.

We have not. 87 was a good road, as far as I can remember.

707d5a06613779013d8362545483c09b.jpg
hwy 67 (I think)

rxbristol

That does look like a nice road...thank you. I also assume 18 was OK? After my experience with US Hwy 285 from Pecos to Fort Stockton, I'm gun shy.

TravelTiger

That does look like a nice road...thank you. I also assume 18 was OK? After my experience with US Hwy 285 from Pecos to Fort Stockton, I'm gun shy.

I don't recall any bad road conditions, but I'll have to ask Tony in the AM!

Update:: Tony could not remember any bad roads. :)

Last edited:

TravelTiger

All,

If you've been wondering "What's to do in Alpine?" This "Day Tripper" article was in the latest issue of "Texas Highways" magazine!

380c71c8b67e0a411eec2f0261a35eb0.jpg

HornedToad

Rex, from Cisco we took I-20 to Monahans, down 18 to Fort Stockton, I-10 to 67 then 67 to 90 into Alpine. Took the same route going home.

Maybe longer than other routes but we prefer interstates when trying to get done where with limited time.

Tigers route is definitely to best way to go... 385 is not a good choice to get down to I10. The locals take FM1053 that cuts off before Monahans to get down to Ft Stockton, it's two lanes all the way but I drove it in April and it's in great shape.

Myself... I like the scenic route to Pecos and drop down on Hwy 17 thru Balmorhea to Ft Davis. The RV Park is on Hwy 118 from Ft Davis to Apline.

Status
Not open for further replies.