CheapHeat Installation - 2011 Landmark Rushmore

terribruce

retired Oregon Chapter Leaders
What a job!! Good for you. Will be watching to see how much you enjoy it.:)
Thanks for sharing.

Terri

danemayer

What a job!! Good for you. Will be watching to see how much you enjoy it.:)
Thanks for sharing.

Terri
As I mentioned earlier, I used it last summer in the mountains because overnight lows were in the high 30s to low 40s. Went all summer like that. Then at home over the winter, I set the thermostat at 44 and ran it all winter to keep the rig above freezing.

It worked flawlessly.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Oregon_Camper

As I mentioned earlier, I used it last summer in the mountains because overnight lows were in the high 30s. Went all summer like that. Then at home over the winter, I set the thermostat at 44 and ran it all winter to keep the rig above freezing.

It worked flawlessly.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Dan... While at home, do you run the heater with slides in or out? Any idea how much electricity you're using for this on a monthly consumption?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

danemayer

Dan... While at home, do you run the heater with slides in or out? Any idea how much electricity you're using for this on a monthly consumption?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Jim,

I had the slides closed and I'd guess I might have been adding about $1/day to keep the rig at 44 (F). But that's just a guess. We don't yet have a good baseline on cost of electric at the house. And of course, we're in SW Colorado with quite a few overnights with temps around 0 (F).

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I just wish HL would make it an option on new trailers. At least on Landmark, Big Horn and Big Country. All built in plant 2.

travel5r

I heard today that Twin Lakes RV is partnering with RV Comfort Systems and HL to install the Cheap Heat systems for the OEM's before they ship to the dealers.

danemayer

I heard today that Twin Lakes RV is partnering with RV Comfort Systems and HL to install the Cheap Heat systems for the OEM's before they ship to the dealers.
Both Larry from RV Comfort Systems and Jay from Twin Lakes were at yesterday's presentation. I spoke with both yesterday and I think they can do this on a limited basis right now and are hoping to get a more complete process set up with Heartland.

CDN

B and B
Nice informative thread. When I was in my basement I saw we have enough room for the Cheap Heat in our Bighorn. Might be something to look at for should season camping when it is 0 C or 32 F.

porthole

Retired
I missed that seminar - I mentioned to JB about letting vendors do at least two presentations. Sometimes you just can't make it or have to leave because the service team just showed up for example.

Really nice to see the Cheap Heat being offered now to the end users. When I first inquired it was a dealer install only.

The $500 price was really nice to see as well, so there is Cheap Heat sitting on the upper bunk of the Cyclone right now.

- - - Updated - - -

I just found out that RV Comfort Systems has arranged for CheapHeat units to be installed at Twin Lakes RV Repair in LaGrange, IN near Elkhart. If this had been available last fall, I would have let them install it while I was in the area.

For 900-1000 bucks?

danemayer

For 900-1000 bucks?

Not all installations are equal. Mine was particularly difficult. If I had known ahead of time that it would take nearly $75 in materials and 15 hours of labor, mostly crawling around behind the UDC, I would have paid to have it installed.

I suspect Jay's $900-1000 is a worst case price. It might be worth asking how much he'd charge for the best case.

porthole

Retired
$1000 was what I was told, then discount the $100 coupon that was at the rally. Larry (Cheap Heat) also said it is about a days work. So your 15 hour install for a non installer seems about right.
For someone not handy I suppose the $1000 would be a bargain. Along the same lines of the disc brake installs.

I'll use your 15 hours as a guide and figure it will be about the same for me on any trailer with some room to work with.

I got the install manual and a bunch of tips from Larry for our Cyclone, and it will be a challenge in that rig, if I can squeeze out another inch of side clearance.

I will wait until the fall, it may not be going in the Cyclone at all.

davebennington

We just had cheap Heat install in Lagrange after the rally, it took the installer 8 hours to complete the job. It works great we got a chance to try it out last night when the temps got down to 57 degrees.

dave