Better quality fender skirts

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
We've owned our Landmark Augusta for 8 years now. In 2015, we had to have the off-door side fender skirt replaced because of a blown tire. We also had the door-side fender skirt replaced because of cracking around the screws. Both had to be painted to match the rig. This year I already see major cracks to the point I will have to replace them again. Winter has taken it's toll already and we haven't even taken the rig out yet. I also have talked to several others regarding this problem and have read posts on this forum about this problem. Can we get something done here? We need Heartland to talk with the manufacturer of these flimsy skirts to beef them up. Not sure the best foot forward to do this. Maybe better material, maybe thicker forms. One RV manufacturer used to foam fill the backside. I realize this makes them heavier so maybe not the best choice. Maybe they need to be reinforced with mesh instead of injection molded. I don't know that I care as long as we get better quality pieces. I realize there are costs involved but we owners shouldn't have to replace these do to poor material or workmanship. Please take some time to consider ways to make these better for the customer.

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I definitely agree with you on this. We've barely pulled our rig anywhere and are ready for the second set of fenders, especially on the door side.

rhodies1

We've owned our Landmark Augusta for 8 years now. In 2015, we had to have the off-door side fender skirt replaced because of a blown tire. We also had the door-side fender skirt replaced because of cracking around the screws. Both had to be painted to match the rig. This year I already see major cracks to the point I will have to replace them again. Winter has taken it's toll already and we haven't even taker the righ out yet. I also have talked to several others regarding this problem and have read posts on this forum about this problem. Can we get something done here? We need Heartland to talk with the manufacturer of these flimsy skirts to beef them up. Not sure the best foot forward to do this. Maybe better material, maybe thicker forms. One RV manufacturer used to foam fill the backside. I realize this makes them heavier so maybe not the best choice. Maybe they need to be reinforced with mesh instead of injection molded. I don't know that I care as long as we get better quality pieces. I realize there are costs involved but we owners shouldn't have to replace these do to poor material or workmanship. Please take some time to consider ways to make these better for the customer.

you might want to use the spray foam that is used to insulate house windows, spray foam.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We replaced our Landmark fender skirts with the textured ones used on the Bighorn. They are black and match very well with our paint scheme...they seem to be much sturdier.

MikeR

We replaced our Landmark fender skirts with the textured ones used on the Bighorn. They are black and match very well with our paint scheme...they seem to be much sturdier.

Do you have the part numbers and price for those? I have been looking at those and look like the way to go.

mlpeloquin

Looking at where most of you live, it seams to me that there may be two problems. One is strong brackets to prevent road shock from causing a crack. That caused mine. And the other is water getting into and behind the fastener, skirt, and mounting bracket then freezing. Silicone or Dicore between the mounting brackets and skirt will cure that problem. It may also help in dampening the road shock transmitted to the skirt. Where I live I do not have the freezing problem.

carl.swoyer

I use Rv silicone sealant just a small bead on the top edge of the skirt

Carl & Christine, 2012 Landmark Rushmore, 2005 Silverado crew cab lt 8 foot bed 6.6 lly /Allison -custom dual exhaust-198000 miles !

FordMan1966

Had to replace my painted skirt on the 2013 Landmark that I owned. During the first Winter it cracked in two places. Got tired of all of the little issues on the Landmark.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Didn't you know that the fender skirts on our Heartland Products are designed to be replaced with our first BlowMax blowout???

Usually 10 miles after our manufacturers warranty expired . . .

'Nuff said . . .

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Didn't you know that the fender skirts on our Heartland Products are designed to be replaced with our first BlowMax blowout???

Usually 10 miles after our manufacturers warranty expired . . .

'Nuff said . . .

Wrong! They're meant to be replaced on the odd years. That's when the National rally is held at Goshen and HL will repair two items on your rig for free. Had mine done 2011 and 2013, but missed 2015 and the DS one is ready again. Actually, it cracked at some of the screw holes on the way home from the 2013 rally. Gorilla tape on the backside is keeping it together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

I put a small clean bead of rv silicone along the edge of the fender skirts. This has been working for me since 2007

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ksucats

Two months after getting the coach, dealer had to order and replace both fender skirts. Both had cracks from the screws - my unprofessional feeling is that they were over tightened when initially installed. Given that my Landmark has full body paint the painting of these skirts resulted in additional time at the dealers.

Thinking about this, I'd better check this weekend - coach is going back to dealer this coming Wednesday for some other warranty work.

donmogey

Mine are cracked and on order. Noticed the cracking after 3 months. Too tight? Probably. Need small, flat washers to distribute stress ftom screw.

aRAYwego

I had the same problem of cracks around all screws on both fenders. I took the fenders off and flipped them over. Picked up a fiberglass repair kit from the local auto parts store, complete with woven glass fabric and resin. I roughed up all around the screw holes for better adhesion, then put a couple of layers of the glass fabric and resin and let it set up. Then pre-drilled all the holes before re-installing. Haven't had any problems with cracking since but still check the tightness of all screws before every trip. I have noticed that the fenders are warping in some areas enough that you can see the unpainted areas behind the fenders.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I check the screws n the fenders every couple of months during the camping season or before a long trip . . .

Guess I'd better check them again today as I'm getting the Prowler ready for the trip to Vegas this next Monday.

I haven't had any of them come loose so far on the Prowler, but our previous Heartland Trail Runner was dropping fender screws all the time.

I had never really noticed it as a problem until I pulled it into one of those do-it-yourself car washes, and as I was spraying down the trailer I saw a couple of screws laying on the ground near the tires, and when I picked them up I realized they were RV screws (the ones with the square hole on the top), and then noticed that several were missing from both fenders.

Domi

A drop of super glue where the head and the fender meet works well to secure the screws. Since it is in just one area it will work like locktite but be clear. I used that when I fixed mine ealier this year and have not had a screw lossen up yet.

John