Water on floor after filling holding tank

My family and I bought our 2012 32' BUDS mostly for using at weekend horse shows. We always have electric hookups but usually we do not have water hookups. I've read you shouldn't haul with water if you don't have to but there is not always a convenient place to fill up the tanks when we arrive so I've been filling the tank before we leave for the weekend. There is seven of us so I am guilty of filling the holding tank completely and we usually haul 100 miles to where we set up. A couple of times we have had a little water on the floor between the fridge and the dining table after I fill but before we hit the road: nothing major but a bit concerning. This pat weekend we experienced the same thing but once we arrived at the show we had wet carpet in the rear bunk house. We did drive through an absolute downpour for about 10 miles so I am not sure if the water was from the full holding tank or not. Just curious if anyone else has experienced any of these problems and if there are any suggestions.

By the way, our trailer is a PERFECT for our large family and we love it! I just want to keep it perfect for a long time.

94a6d4f89d5090d0b590bc427e39bfef.jpg

mlpeloquin

Water does not flow up hill. A small amount of water maybe from a loose drain P trap. A lot of water would be a seal or roof leak. Had the seal around the antenna on my old class C crack. Went through a gully washer of a storm and one heck of a lot of water came down between the cabinets and onto the table and really soaked the carpet. It doesn't take much of a opening to get a lot of water in. With a full tank of water it may flow out the overflow tubes, but that just goes into the ground. My friends Big Country does that every time he takes off with a full tank. You might also want to check the seals around the AC. That is another place I have had a leak in the past that got a lot of water in.

jbeletti

On your trailer, is the fresh water tank below the floor? If it is, I doubt the tank leaked into the RV. Water from the rain/road is more likely - but I think you're saying this has happened before, without traveling in the rain. Is that right?

Where on the floor is the water? Especially in relation to the sink. Is it possible that some water came out of the kitchen sink faucet and dripped onto the floor.

By chance, was your water pump on while you were towing, prior to noticing the water on the floor?

Consider strategically placing/taping some toilet paper or paper towels under the sink, on the floor, counter etc. to see if you can capture, early on, the direction/source of the water.

What you both are saying makes sense. I am going to use it again this weekend, although without using the holding tank. I will keep an eye on it and hopefully get this figured out.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
When you have time, I would get on the roof and check all the caulking. Then inspect all the caulking around the windows. The make sure all the slide seals are sealing against the coach sides when in. We had a TT that every time we pulled in the rain, water from the tires was being thrown in at the bottom seal of the slide. Inspecting all the caulking should be done at least every 3-4 months. BTW, was the water dirty when you drove in the rain??

No. It was such a downpour that it was pure rain water. I'd say the water in the bunk house probably did come in from a slide seal. Your perception is different when the slide is out but the carpet was wet under the slide.

On the other issue, we've never had water on the flood after transporting with full holding tank. It's only been a little spot on the kitchen floor immediately after filling.

I will definitely check the roof. I've owned this TT since August and I feel foolish to say I've never been up there.

Bob&Patty

So, your trailer was parked during the heavy rain. If so, when you have time, open the slide/slides and look at the wiper seals. The top one should be curled out at the bottom and touching the top of the slide and the 2 side seals should be the same way. These are are not "D" seals on the slide....they are the ones on the body/outside wall. Make sure that the top one overlaps the side seals at the top ends. If they are not touching/sealing to the top and side of the slide. That may be where the water is coming in. One other note on this. The trailer needs to be as close to level side to side and front to rear so the water will run off the slides.

Bgthomas

Please do reply in this thread if you find the culprit. There are a bunch of us here with 32BUDS. :)

I was pulling the trailer while in the downpour. I don't think it came from the roof because the carpet was wet under the bunk house (rear) slide after we rolled it out. I'm going to do some investigating but I think that road water came in under the slide which is right behind the drivers side trailer axels.

As for the water on the floor after filling the holding tank, but before transport I am going to watch as I fill the holding tank. That won't be for a couple weeks.

Had another problem today. Carpet was wet in the bunkhouse again but along outdoor kitchen wall. Water pressure at the campground was extremely high and the fitting on the outdoor shower head were leaking. Tightened it up and have already bought a pressure regulator at the campground. Problem solved.

I'll get it all fixed I just hope it's before the floor in the trailer is ruined.

jbeletti

Be sure to use a Pressure Regulator at the hydrant (here's one for $9 delivered). Many of us don't run them as we have a series of filters and such that reduces the pressure "somewhat" - but really high campground campground water pressure can be detrimental to fittings and some fixtures/valves.

Be sure to dry (towels and fan), all areas that have gotten wet - as soon as possible in order to prevent damage. Of course, root cause(s) still need to be determined and you're working at that.

Thought I would update. I filled the holding tank Friday evening and we headed out for a horse show. Floor was dry after filling and dry after 130 miles of traveling. Everything seamed to work fine. Maybe it was a fluke before.
I will monitor and if there is ever a problem again I will update. Thanks all.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
A few areas to check on the NT BUDS.

1. check the connections on the fill tube, the vent hose. Depending on the exact location your NT, You should be able to do an inspection using a flashlight by removing the furnace cold air return, Location inside, under the refrigerator and also the heat duct panel under the stove.

2. While inside, Follow the tubing from the fill port on the outside wall down to where these tubes go through the floor. Make sure the vent tube is routed so that it cannot contain any water or it could cause problems when filling. I moved my vent tube so that any water that could possibly get into the vent when the tank is full has to either drain out the vent or back into the tank.

3. Although not directly related, You may want remove the lower refrigerator vent on the outside and fill any gap (level with the floor) between the OSB floor of the Refrigerator mount and the vent. There may be a seam that could leak into the interior through this gap. I discovered it when I had the vent cover removed and was working under the refrigerator and noticed light leaking into the darkened space. Be sure your refrigerator drain tube is draining to the outside when replacing the outside vent cover.

SNOKING

Did you use the black tank flush before finding the water? The vacuum breaks in the flush line and noted to leak. Chris

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Did you use the black tank flush before finding the water? The vacuum breaks in the flush line and noted to leak. Chris

Not sure that the Black tank flush would be an issue in this case.
The black tank flush on the BUDS is locate on the door side back further towards the outdoor kitchen and inside would be in the bathroom under the bathroom cabinet. Water leaks in this area would be apparent in the bathroom area before it would find its way to either kitchen area (inside or outside).

Bob&Patty

True but, putting too much water pressure to it.....it will leak. Never put more 60 psi to the trailer.