Tow Mirrors

BobHinSC

6/3/2015
Good evening everyone,
I may have asked this question before but I could not find the response. Here is the question:
I have a 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4x5, on the drivers side mirror I have a built in blind spot mirror, do I still need extra towing mirrors? If so what is the best brand?
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

sengli

Well, GM makes standard mirrors and then there is the towing mirrors which slide out farther, and are larger. The key is that the farther out the mirrors are, the more you can see behind you. Do you need them? Well I guess thats your call. But every time I hook to my coach...I extend the mirrors or I cant see very far back.

As I remember the GM mirrors could be had after market, but were big bucks. And I am not sure they wire right up to all the different models perfectly.

Rollin_Free

It depends on what model mirrors you have but I purchased CIPA 10950 to slip over mine. My mirrors are the ones that fold in with a push of the button. I also purchased the same manufacturer for my Tundra mirrors so my Duramax slip on mirrors are my second time around purchase. They slide on easily, hold tight, don't whistle with air flow, and are easily removed when not needed. I personally think when mirrors are needed these are a real good option at a reasonable price.

I think any time you a pulling a trailer that is wider than the TV you need some type of larger towing mirror.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, GM makes standard mirrors and then there is the towing mirrors which slide out farther, and are larger. The key is that the farther out the mirrors are, the more you can see behind you. Do you need them? Well I guess thats your call. But every time I hook to my coach...I extend the mirrors or I cant see very far back.

As I remember the GM mirrors could be had after market, but were big bucks. And I am not sure they wire right up to all the different models perfectly.

I looked into factory tow mirror replacements and they are extremely expensive. One issue is that I didn't know is the remote adjustments in my 2015 Duramax are by wire and the computer in the vehicle must be updated with the replacement mirrors to make them work so again more $$$.

My CIPA aftermarket were $62 for the pair and I have standard mirrors when I'm not towing. I'll provide close-up pics shortly for the Duramax.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    260.5 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    241.9 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    277 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 56

kowAlski631

Hi, Bob. Get the mirrors. It'll give you peace of mind and the view you need for safe lane changes.

Martha

callowaykid

Fit system 3891 universal tow mirrors, best investment I have ever made
ee75ea965cfb2dd2eedac338baf32ac2.jpg
b14e4ac16e0e1b85ec9a9cf537e21512.jpg

GO DAWGS!

callowaykid

These mirrors will fit any truck/car because of there cool ratchet system. I bought these from Amazon for $30.00 for the set.

GO DAWGS!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Yes . . . you need more mirror than what the truck came with.

For lane changes . . . backing up . . . and keeping an eye on the tires when turning!

And that little blind spot mirror on the drivers door . . . it is so small that I can't say that I've ever used it once since I got my new truck almost two years ago.

I have the same clamp-on mirrors that callowaykid has . . . and I hate them!

SunCityRV-RVPark-IMG_20150122_075627618.jpg ProwlerNextToHouse-P1010690.jpg

Have been using them for 15 years and while they are great for viewing, they have been a major pita to put on all three trucks I've used them on over the years.

I got my 2015 very early in the model year (August of 2014), and according to the dealership, the GM towing mirrors were not yet available.

Now that they are available as an $800 add-on . . . I've decided not to get them.

There are some aftermarket mirrors that are just like the GM towing mirrors at around $400 for the pair . . .

I've been eyeballing the CIPA mirrors and will probably buy a set of them soon!

Rollin_Free

I got my 2015 very early in the model year (August of 2014), and according to the dealership, the GM towing mirrors were not yet available.

Now that they are available as an $800 add-on . . . I've decided not to get them.

There are some aftermarket mirrors that are just like the GM towing mirrors at around $400 for the pair . . .

I've been eyeballing the CIPA mirrors and will probably buy a set of them soon!

If you're planning to purchase a GM lookalike just be aware that if you have electric remote adjustments now you probably won't after replacing them because the vehicle computer probably needs to be updated with the model you're putting on. If you want to keep all the convienence options then you'll probably have to pay to update the software as well.

As far as the aftermarket mirrors I tried the strap on style and as you said I hated them as well. There was a weird whistle when I was at highway speed and I didn't like the bracket/straps at all. I sent them back at a shipping loss but knew they were destined for dust bag storage.

The CIPA mirrors are perfect for my purposes and give you the best of both worlds. Since they slide right over your OEM mirrors they are very easy to install when towing or remove for normal driving. The knob you see in one of the pictures is holding a padded bracket on the back side that is keeping the tow mirrors snuggly attached to the OEM mirrors without hampering any of the remote features or damaging the OEM mirrors.

The only thing I caution you about is to make absolutely sure you purchase the correct CIPA mirrors for the OEM mirrors you have on your TV. They are a custom fit for OEM specific makes, models, and years of most vehicles. I'm confident you'll like them.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I just installed a set of replacement towing mirrors on my daughters Silverado.
They look exactly like the GM mirrors. They are heated and the mirror position is still electronically controlled.
The only thing they don't have over the ones they replaced is the option to electronically fold.
They were $130 for the pair. About an hour to install, and no software to update.

Peace
Dave

JohnD

I just installed a set of replacement towing mirrors on my daughters Silverado.
They look exactly like the GM mirrors. They are heated and the mirror position is still electronically controlled.
The only thing they don't have over the ones they replaced is the option to electronically fold.
They were $130 for the pair. About an hour to install, and no software to update.

Peace
Dave

Where did you get them?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Got em off Ebay. Here is a link to the seller. [LINK]
You will have to contact them as I do not see a listing for a 2015 at this time.

Peace
Dave

Lynn1130

I looked at the replacement telescoping GM mirrors for my Duramax but installing them would have meant that I give up my folding mirrors and I need them to get into the garage and leave enough room for the car. I have detachable CIPA mirrors that work great and I would not be without them for hauling and backing.

rahewett

eBay is a good starting point. Also look a e-trailer.com as a choice. I bought clamp on mirrors for my truck and Tahoe from them.

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
X2 on the CIPA Mirrors. The ones I had for my Silverado were also rock steady when driving down the road. The less expensive ones shook and made everything look like you were driving in an earthquake. Not to mention the annoying, constantly whistling noise.

Rollin_Free

Yep, forgot about the shaking of the strap ons. If you want to maintain the OEM look of a non-towing truck when you're just cruising around and still have the ability to tow with quality ad-on towing type mirrors CIPA is the way to go. I've tried a lot of different types and styles of the strap on kind and none of them match up to quality of the CIPA mirrors.

JohnD

My main issue with the strap-ons is the clips that attach to the front (mirror side) of the truck mirror . . .

The clips are too thick to fit between the edge of the mirror housing and the actual mirror, so they have to be forced in, which then does not allow the truck mirror to be electrically adjusted . . . if at all!

They are just a major PITA to install every time you need them.

callowaykid

I really must have lucked out with my strap on mirrors, I have never had a problem with them. They Fit my truck mirrors perfect and strap down tight, I have never heard any kind of whistling. I do not have automatic retracting mirrors I can see where that would be a problem but I like still having the full use of my stock mirrors plus my mirrors defrost which the strap on's do not effect. Not to mention they were only $30.00 for the pair.

GO DAWGS!