Happijac-bunks-UtVs and modifications

Lynn1130

We leave for high country Sunday and I now have all the parts to do this job. I am going to do it where temps are 70 rather than 105. I have all of the instructions for install except one part of the lift system. There is nothing in the tools section for this one so I am hoping that someone has disassembled their HappiJac bed system and has some pointers. The one area that I am not sure of is the motor/shaft system. I can get the rails down and the new trolleys in but I am not sure of how to take the motor/shaft off without things falling into pieces. I have also searched on HappiJac's Web page and through the Internet but there is very limited info.

Help?

Lynn1130

Yes and it was not difficult other than it takes making sure that all chains and blocks are installed and lined up correctly. I had a do over on one side when I thought that I had it correct and found one side went up and the other went down when I raised the lift.

I got quotes to have this done and they all wanted about $500 so I saved that by doing it myself. A couple of times I got into a bind on how to disassemble the motor and rod but a call to HappiJac got me some instructions. They were helpful.

I like the results and one person can put the bunks up or take them down with little trouble.

Lynn1130

I don't. I was more motivated to get it done. Stopping for photos is for people who have more patience than me.

The instructions are pretty good and really it is removing the screw bolts that hold the rails, dropping the rails to the floor which is a two person job and replacing the trolleys with the slot trolleys. The instructions do show how to set up the chains. Then it is remounting the rails on the wall. Another two person job. The drive shaft has a set screw that locks it in place. That is loosened and the shaft slid in so that it can be removed from the opposite wall rails (I think. I am going by memory here). Then it is a repeat on the other side rails. You just have to make sure that you pay close attention to the chain guides and which way the come off. That is explained in the paperwork. I did not on the first one and when I got it up on the wall and checked the travel, it was going one way on one side and the opposite direction on the other. I had to take it down and redo it. There is not enough space between the bottom of the rails and floor of the garage to leave the rails on the wall to work on them.

One item that was not covered anywhere, and it took some thought to solve, was that the slot bracket that replaces the one that is on the rail and holding the bunk to the trolley pops out of the slots in the trolley when you lift the bunk to unlatch and drop it. Nowhere was there an explanation on how to prevent that because otherwise the entire bunk can come out and drop to the floor or on someone. There is a hole just above the slot in the trolley, where the bunk support arm is inserted. I had several screw bolts left over from where the rail attaches to the bottom of the bunk. I used one of those bolts in each of the holes on each trolley and it locked the bunk to the rails. I told the people at HappiJack about this and got an "oh, yeah, that's what we do." It is not mentioned anywhere in the instructions.

Oh, and the other two person job is that the top bunk has to come off to get the rails off of the wall. My wife is little but she is strong :)

PondSkum

I don't know if OP will reply soon with more info, but here's what he shared with me in the beginning. I don't know if these numbers are currently accurate, but will give you a starting point. I think the only way to order is directly from Happijac themselves. Also I don't know the rules about posting pricing, so I left those off, but total was less than $500 I believe. There are also some PDF files that show some of the parts and how to install them, not sure if I can attach them here or not.

Below is the listed parts needed to upgrade to the hinged sofa system.

Hinged Bracket Upgrade Kit:
2 of these:
364253 SOFA BRACKET - BLACK HINGED (Set of 2)
4 of these:
361008b SLOTTED TROLLEY (MAIN)
4 of these:
182712 CHAIN KEEPER (2 PIECES)
2 of these:
365881 SOFA LOCKS (Pair)

Happijac Company
Technical / Product Support
A Division of Lippert Components, Inc.
505 N. Kays Drive
Kaysville, UT 84037
(801) 544-2585
(800) 231-7440
www.happijac.com

Lynn1130

Any new news on this?

What news were you looking for? I have the parts list and the instructions that HappiJac sent me. It has been a year since I did the switch out so I too, cannot tell you if the parts prices are still the same. You would have to call them at their Utah shop to check. The install is pretty straight forward as mentioned in my post a couple of posts up. The only part that took some help was getting the rails down off of the wall and back up once the bolts are removed. It is a little on the wide side for one person to control without it falling apart.

By far this was the best mod I did to allow me to get the side X side in without having to remove bunks.