Looking for Napa Valley area campground ideas

jbeletti

Hi all - depending on how our house hunting in Colorado is going, we may elect to stick around in California after the Jackson rally and head south to Bob and Patty's rally in Temecula. During the week in between, we're considering Napa Valley as a place to revisit - this time with the RV.

So far, I'm looking at Napa Valley Expo RV Park (site link - review link). They have 28 sites and it's during grape harvest/crush - so not sure if I can get a site there or not. Before I try, I thought I'd toss this out there to the group...

If you wanted to spend a week in the Napa Valley area to tour Napa (and possibly Sonoma) wine country, where would you stay?

Thanks!

richheck

Seasoned Member
Jim:

I am the wagon master for a large group that goes to the Calistoga RV Park in Calistoga CA. We will be in Calistoga from Oct 10th till the 21st. Very handy location that is walking distance to downtown and some great places to eat. This park is a member of the Passport America, don't know if you belong but if so you know it cuts your rate by 50%. I suggest that you make your reservations now as the premium sites fill fast that time of year. PM me and we will discuss the particulars (site numbers, etc.) if you want.

Rich

wdk450

JIm:
The Expo park is nice, in town, near all of the fancy shopping and restaurants. The Calistoga Fairgrounds is about 25 miles North of the City of Napa, but out in the vineyard country, with more of a vineyard feel. Calisotga has lots of sights and stuff to do nearby, including the famous Calistoga Geyser, hot springs baths, and mud baths. St. Helena, 5 miles South of Calistoga is my idea of the quintessential Napa Valley town. If everything is full, another option is Skyline Wilderness Park, on the South East corner of the city of Napa. My NorLows group has had a few campouts there.
http://www.skylinepark.org/?utm_source=RVParkReviews.com . Ignore the "BottleRock" rates cited on the website - That is a big 1 weeekend rock concert/festival at the the Expo fairgrounds.

There is a nice ferry service from nearby Vallejo that takes you to Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco. Also see the Petrified Forest West of Calistoga to see full sized pine trees turned to stone by the ash from nearby Mt. St. Helena.

Have fun!! I will probably be in So. Ca. until after Thanksgiving.