Changing Tires & 6 pt Level Up System

Tundra2084

First of all I would like ya all to know that I know that according to the owners manual for the Level Up system it does NOT recommend using it to do any work on the Fifth Wheel....BUT..... I know it is done, so here it goes. I am in the process of replacing my tires in the fifth wheel. For those of you that have changed the tires using the Level up system to raise them off the ground to take them off I have a couple of questions.

1. Do you leave the trailer attached to the tow vehicle or totally dis-connect?

2. Do you raise the entire trailer off the ground and take off all four tires at the same time or do the rights and then the left?

BTW the tires are being installed at a tire store. Balanced, metal valve stems(Planning on adding a TPMS), Sailun S637's

Looking forward to your replies
biggrin.png

danemayer

Re: Changing Tires & 6pt Level Up System

For safety, I would 1) stay hitched up, 2) raise the rear just enough to remove the wheels. (If you go too high you can flip the equalizer links and that will be a problem.) 3) remove one wheel at a time. 4) don't get under the rig.

In the unlikely event of a jack failure, the trailer will be supported by the hitch and 3 wheels.

That what I did when we changed the wheels/tires on our rig and again when the bearings were repacked.

jnbhobe

I pull all 4 at one time, unhooked but never get underneath. I block it up if I am going to leave it for any length of time

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

I would recommend you unhitch as it could cause damage to the hitch if lifted too much. I changed mine after I unhitched on side at a time.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

We just had our tires balanced at Discount tire. We used the same concept we did with our previous trailer, staying hitched and only lifting one side at a time.

We put blocks under the side to be raised. I first lifted "left" to raise the side, then lifted "rear" to get the tires about and inch off the ground. Reversed the commands to lower it back to normal, then did the same for "right". It did not put any excess stress on the hitch that I could see.

The tire techs appreciated the ease of this technique, made their lives easier, and probably safer than the next fiver they did following us, where they used floor jacks on the axles!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

macjj

I lifted the trailer unhitched all four off the ground, not only removed the tires, but replaced the axels as well. We did put jack stands under for safety. I have jacked one side off the pavement while hitched to remove and replace a blown tire. Manufacture has to protect their liability aka their recommendation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Piperflyer

If you go too high lifting the wheels off the ground you can flip the equalizer links which will drop the axles. and that will be a problem you don't want. You can not travel with the links reversed and it is a pain getting them back to normal. Make sure this doesn't happen when jacking with the level up system.

NHCelt

Re: Changing Tires & 6 pt Level Up System

Piperflyer...can you better explain this?
If you go too high lifting the wheels off the ground you can flip the equalizer links which will drop the axles. and that will be a problem you don't want. You can not travel with the links reversed and it is a pain getting them back to normal. Make sure this doesn't happen when jacking with the level up system.

- - - Updated - - -

avvidclif

5/20/2015 getting new Sailuns put on at the local dealer. Trailer was almost 3 months old.

Attachments

• IMG_0513[1].jpg
    IMG_0513[1].jpg
    84 KB · Views: 70

Sniper

First of all I would like ya all to know that I know that according to the owners manual for the Level Up system it does NOT recommend using it to do any work on the Fifth Wheel....BUT..... I know it is done, so here it goes. I am in the process of replacing my tires in the fifth wheel. For those of you that have changed the tires using the Level up system to raise them off the ground to take them off I have a couple of questions.

1. Do you leave the trailer attached to the tow vehicle or totally dis-connect?

2. Do you raise the entire trailer off the ground and take off all four tires at the same time or do the rights and then the left?

BTW the tires are being installed at a tire store. Balanced, metal valve stems(Planning on adding a TPMS), Sailun S637's

Looking forward to your replies
biggrin.png
I just replaced tires a month ago. I raised the whole trailer just enough to take them off, but did one side at a time. I put jack stands under that side in case of the highly unlikely event that something went south with our Big Foot system, or the trailer shifted for reason known only to God. I was not hooked to the truck, but was on a solid level concrete pad. :)

danemayer

Leaf Links are normal in the top photo, Links have fallen and done almost a 180* turn by jacking to far in bottom picture.

As you lift, the links begin straightening out. When you lift too far, they may flip. And they're surprisingly difficult to flip back.

And if you tow with the links flipped, you'll have a serious misalignment of the axles.

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired

Here is our experience. All 4 tires removed and replaced at one time at the GoodYear dealer. I did stay hooked up, and our Big Country has the MorRyde IS, so no concern about axle flip.

Attachments

• IMG_0896.jpg
    IMG_0896.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 54