2011 Bighorn 3585RL TV Access

Carleen

I recently tried to watch the TV in the living area and found the sound out from the TV isn't going to the Jensen audio system. My last trailer had a swing arm so you could swing the TV out and manage the cables. I felt all around this TV and didn't see one. Also- the component and HDMI cables are up against the cabinet where I can't see or get to them. Is that really how they set it up? Do you have to remove the TV to check the cables? In my experience, they shake loose and just need a good wiggle to re-connect them- but I can't get to these ones. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Bighorn TV.JPG

Thanks,

danemayer

Hi Carleen,

They've changed things up over the past 3 or 4 years. On your 2011, there's likely a strip of wood running along the top of the TV that holds it in place vertically. I think there are 3 screws holding that wood strip.

Once it's removed, the next step would be to pull the bottom of the TV toward you slightly to disengage it from the lower rail. You may have to loosen a setscrew for this to work.

Once the bottom can be moved a little, grasp the TV and lift up and off the mounting rails on which it's hanging. It's possible to do it by yourself, but can be a bit tricky, especially with cables attached.

Before taking it down, you might look for the sound system and TV manuals to see what type of inputs and outputs are available. Our RV Audio Connections Illustrated User Guide will help you figure out what type of connecting cable (and maybe other gear) you need to make the audio connection.

Carleen

Thank you for the info! I will take a closer look at it. It appears the inputs are on the left side of the TV and I wasn't sure if it tilted at all. Based on what you are saying, it doesn't tilt so I would need to remove the TV for any cable work. I will post pictures of what I find after the weekend when I have had a chance to work on it.

The only other thing I am thinking is the TV doesn't have an audio output cable to the Jensen DVD/Radio system, so if you are watching TV from the antenna, surround through the Jensen isn't possible. I haven't tried a DVD yet, but would think there is a video/sound cable (HDMI or Composite) from the Jensen to the TV. Just an issue with audio going the other way.

Am I correct in stating the only way to access the back of the Jensen is to remove it from the cabinet also?

danemayer

It's usually the case with Jensen surround sound that the bezel has to be removed first, I think, and then 4 screws holding the unit. The screws are probably the #2 Square head, not Phillips. Depending on how tight they are, you may need to get a #2 Square Bit driver.

If you add an audio cable from TV to Jensen, depending on inputs and outputs, you may be able to watch antenna TV and get sound through the surround sound. A lot depends on the specific components.

Carleen

Thanks again! We don't have satellite or cable at home because we stream all of our TV for the most part. Makes it difficult to justify service for the RV when we don't even have it at home. When we do watch news or programs- it is all through the house surround sound. The TV sounds is quite terrible. I will tear it apart this weekend and let you know how it goes!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
You'll need to run a cable from the headphone jack of the TV to the aux input on the front of the Jensen to get TV sound through the stereo.

You'll loose the sound from the TV speakers when you plug in to the headphone jack.

Carleen

You'll need to run a cable from the headphone jack of the TV to the aux input on the front of the Jensen to get TV sound through the stereo.

You'll loose the sound from the TV speakers when you plug in to the headphone jack.

Good to know- that's too bad they didn't do anything with the back inputs for a TV out --> surround sound. I still need to play with it a little. I am trying to remember how our last trailer was hooked up and I can't remember for the life of me. Maybe we didn't have TV audio through the stereo?? It was the same Jensen unit, so I am familiar with it.

Thanks again for your help!

danemayer

Many TVs have audio outputs other than the headphone jack. If it's the original TV from 2010-2011, it may have RCA stereo connectors, or perhaps Optical TOS or Digital Audio connections. Or maybe just a headphone out. It varies.