Adding second AC to 31BHDD

skroesen

Hi all,
We recently purchased a 2014 Heartland 31BHDD. Quickly finding out that it is hard to cool it off in the direct FL sun. It is 50A and has the fireplace option. I pulled the front vent trim off and didn't see any wiring there. Should the wiring be obvious? It was just a metal frame for the vent there. Guessing the 50A service was just installed for the fireplace. How would one go about getting power up to that vent for a second AC?

jimtoo

Hi skroesen,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I suggest you call Heartland Customer Service, 574-262-8030 or 877-262-8032, have your VIN when you call. They can tell you if and where the wiring is for the A/C.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

skroesen

Thanks for the info.
Assuming it is not pre wired, what has been the method to get electricity to a second AC? Can wire be successfully pulled through the wall and ceiling or will have to go surface mount?

jimtoo

It looks according to specs it is probably wired for the fireplace. Options list 50amp service as. But you can call to make sure.
  • 50 Amp & 2nd A/C (some models)
  • 50 Amp & fireplace (some models)
Not likely you can pull wiring through the wall due to the way the walls are constructed, but maybe some other members will have suggestions for you.

Jim M

HornedToad

I added an AC in a toy hauler garage that was not pre wired and use raceway channel to run the Romex across the ceiling and down the corner. The beige raceway blended with the ceiling/wall panels and did not look too obvious.

I helped a friend add an AC to a front bedroom that was not pre wired and we were able to run the Romex through the ceiling the few feet to a built in entertainment cabinet and then go down through the cabinet.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Wiremold-CordMate-Channel-Kit-White-C110/100024732

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
It might be possible to run wiring through the ceiling if you have A/C ducts in the ceiling. Where is your circuit breaker panel located?? Sometimes its located in a false/empty inside wall so you can run wires up or down in that space. Check and make sure you have an empty spot on the breaker panel for a 15 or 20 amp breaker.

skroesen

It might be possible to run wiring through the ceiling if you have A/C ducts in the ceiling. Where is your circuit breaker panel located?? Sometimes its located in a false/empty inside wall so you can run wires up or down in that space. Check and make sure you have an empty spot on the breaker panel for a 15 or 20 amp breaker.

Good idea. My panel is located on the right side of my entertainment center. I am not sure of the access to that.

So, we are planning a trip in a week where we will be gone for a couple weeks. I am going to get a second unit this week to install prior to that. Anyone see any issue with just plugging into the outlet in the bedroom for the second AC as a temporary solution until I can do a permanent power install?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Your bedroom receptacle is most likely on a 15 amp circuit. It may or may not support the current needed for the AC.
As a temporary source of power for the AC you might consider using a good 12 gauge extension cord from the AC unit out through the slide or out a window and plugged into the pedestal. Most pedestals have a receptacle that could be used for that.

Peace
Dave

HornedToad

A 13.5 BTU Hi Efficiency AC will run on 15 amp circuit...

http://www.americanrvcompany.com/Dometi-B59530-Brisk-II-Air-Conditioner-High-Efficiency-Upper-Unit

To quote Ron White "I know, I've seen me do it."

You need to run it out the window to the pedestal as recommended. The issue with plugging it into the house circuit is you probably already have other items drawing power and even with a Hi Efficiency AC you'll need every bit of those 15 amps to start the compressor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob&Patty

One thing that you can consider. You have a 50 amp service......so how many times will you be using the A/C and the fireplace at the same time. Probably not many.

skroesen

Just a quick update. My dealer confirmed it is not pre-wired for second AC. It is currently at there shop getting a different issue resolved.

I do plan to purchase the AC anyway prior to our trip next week. I will just run it either off a bedroom receptacle or cord to the pedestal for now and do a permanent installation later (or possibly during our trip). Thanks for all the info.

skroesen

Hi everyone. I picked my HL up from the dealer this afternoon for a repair (another good story!). Looking at it and talking to them it would be very difficult to add a second AC due to two reasons. Wiring not being there and the track for the room separating curtain thing is too close to the vent (the way the camper is configured it can't be moved). So I went ahead and left, but stopped by camping world. I showed the service guy and he agreed about second AC. He did make the suggestion of replacing the current Coleman 13500 BTU with a Attwood 15K BTU (that they say is 18K BTU Equivalent). He said it would make a big difference and move more air. I am very limited on Time as we are leaving the 8th. He said he could have it there the 5th.

What are you opinions of how much more cold air this will move? Here is the AC he is talking about. I also have a 25% off coupon for the AC.
http://www.campingworld.com/shoppin...and-rv-air-conditioner-15k-white-ducted/71787

Bob&Patty

Colder is a subjective term. More air flow....yes and will help keep your coach cooler. We have a BH with only one 15K A/C unit. Had several days of 113* with high humidity and it kept the coach cool.

8amps

Colder is a subjective term. More air flow....yes and will help keep your coach cooler. We have a BH with only one 15K A/C unit. Had several days of 113* with high humidity and it kept the coach cool.
We have thus far managed in hot, humid Houston with only one AC. Following suggestions to keep it cooler in morning, evening so it can keep up. Put awning out when sun would be hitting door side and we're at camper (Don't like to leave awning unattended). Silver bubble wrap insulation in all windows is the biggest factor I think.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk