ATF: Landmark - King size mattress

TheWolfes

What is the warranty on the mattresses? We own a 2016 Newport with a king size bed.

Our mattress started out to be a dream to sleep on but now it's terrible. It has big indentions where each of us sleep. I am waking up with my hips hurting from sleeping on it.

We are fulltimers and our mattress is very important to us.

We appreciate your help.

rhodies1

What is the warranty on the mattresses? We own a 2016 Newport with a king size bed.

Our mattress started out to be a dream to sleep on but now it's terrible. It has big indentions where each of us sleep. I am waking up with my hips hurting from sleeping on it.

We appreciate your help.

our Bighorn mattress has a 5 yr warranty,I would have your vin number ready and contact Heartland customer service

Gaffer

Our mattress lasted about 7 nights before it did the same thing. Thankfully we ordered our new BH with a queen so replacement options sere not an issue. Love the extra space on the sides and easier to make the bed.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
My original post was lost in the changeover last night, so I am re posting it.

We had the same problem with our king mattress. We ended up buying a memory foam topper and flipping the mattress over and now have used it quite a bit that way and sleep great. The tricky part was turning the mattress over in a confined space. We actually flipped it upside down and use the bottom of the mattress as the surface for the memory foam. .

AlwaysOnLiberty

Here's the way I look at it regarding RV mattresses. They are like shoes; no 'one shoe' is going to fit every foot. Analogy aside, no RV manufacturer is going to be able to provide a quality mattress that serves every wish or demand of every owner. Like the 3 bears looking for their perfect beds to sleep in; one liked it soft, one liked it hard and the last found one just right. Personally, we didn't want to deal with going through the warranty process knowing even that the mattress provided was going to suffice our personal needs. So when shopping for our current Landmark, we knew right up front that the mattress wasn't an issue in the purchase. We spent our hard-earned money on a quality mattress that 'we' required (we bought a King iComfort brand at a mattress store). Is that the answer you were looking for? Probably not but it is an avenue worth pursuing if you're not happy with what, really, any RV manufacturer provides. Find one that fits you best on your own terms and pocketbook if the mattress provided isn't up to the quality or fit you require or want.

AZBarry

What problems have you had with getting IN & OUT of the King bed and making the bed in your Newport. We current just have a queen bed but are considering replacing it with a King?

TheWolfes

What problems have you had with getting IN & OUT of the King bed and making the bed in your Newport. We current just have a queen bed but are considering replacing it with a King?

It's doable. When you sit down to get in you are sitting at the very end of the marble side table. Its tight on the sides so you walk sideways to get into bed. We've discussed a queen but both agreed we'd rather have the king. It's worth the little inconvience to have the extra sleeping space.

AZBarry

It's doable. When you sit down to get in you are sitting at the very end of the marble side table. Its tight on the sides so you walk sideways to get into bed. We've discussed a queen but both agreed we'd rather have the king. It's worth the little inconvience to have the extra sleeping space.

Thanks for the comments. Can you add anything else regarding issues in making the bed or tucking the bedspread between the wall and mattress?

ksucats

Not sure about the Newport but on our Key West the King is only 72 inches wide - a standard king bed is 76 X 80. Looking at the California King - it also won't work as it is 72 by 84 inches. Our bedroom has the double slide and the bed goes in under the TV /cabinets on the opposing slide. So swapping it out for another mattress such as our Tempur-Pedic doesn't seem to be possible.

However, to answer your initial question - we much prefer the room of the king but, in retrospect, making the bed would be much easier if it were a Queen size. There is almost no room left to squeeze the bedspread in between the bed and the small table tops that are there. Forget about getting yourself around the closet side unless you are very small waisted (I am not :rolleyes:) so the wife and I actually pull the mattress down some so that we can tuck in the top, etc.

Last edited:

TxCowboy

We have the king size bed in the Key West and are looking to downsize it to the queen size. In addition to replacing the mattress, we'll need to trim about 4 inches of platform from the hinges down and around the foot of the bed so that the queen size will fit properly.

For those upsizing from a queen to a king, you won't have to trim anything but you will have a few inches of unsupported mattress on both sides of the bed and a the foot of the bed. That will probably be a good think as it will make installing and removing the sheets a lot easier.

HTH

TheWolfes

Thanks for the comments. Can you add anything else regarding issues in making the bed or tucking the bedspread between the wall and mattress?

We don't bother to put a bed spread on when we make it. We use a cozy hand sewn quilt. To change the sheets hubby and I pull the mattress down towards the foot of the bed, tuck in the corners and push mattress back in place. Our king mattress measures 76 x 80.

Covers do touch the sides of the end tables. We fold the covers down once and position our pillows at the head. We could put quilt down between mattress and side tables but it's tight.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
To make moving the mattress easier, some have laid a plastic tarp under it, or laid self-stick tiles on the plywood platform. I did the latter and the mattress moves easily. If you do go the tile route, apply a primer to the OSB plywood first for better adhesion. I also attached a structural foam (faux wood) corner trim to the edges of the platform to prevent slivers. Carpet tape works to hold it on.

SNOKING

Last night was our first night on our new mattress. We had a new foam mattress made by Slumber Ease Mattress Factory in Marysville, Wa, which is close by. It is 1.5" of softer foam on each side of a 4" firm foam. We went with just having the new foam put in the zippered fart sack that came with the cheap memory foam OEM mattress in our 2017 BH. Last night was the first night I was able to sleep on my side out of 30-40 nights that we have been in the trailer so far. We are now calling it home and the stupid cheap memory foam was not going to cut it. We paid a fairly steep price for high quality foam.

Chris

Last edited:

BillGott

Ours lasted 30 nights before I could no longer sleep on it. We installed a Sleep Number bed and love it. We just got the least expensive King size with no box spring and picked up a 3" memory foam cover from Costco. It also is much easier to make as my wife just reduces the pressure and the mattress can be pulled back and the sheets can be tucked in easy.

BigGuy82

We appreciate your help.

We've got the iSleep King in our Bighorn. Have 45 nights on it and it has been EXTREMELY comfortable. Going out for another 60 day, so I'll have a better idea then.

If we were to replace it, I'd go with a Sleep Number bed - had one at home and it was great.

- - - Updated - - -

There's no easy way to break this to you ... making a king bed in most fivers is a pain in the neck. If you switch to a king, you'll find little "tricks" to make it easier, but it's still a pain. If you can live with the size of a queen (we can't), I highly recommend it.

First, no one answered the warranty on the mattress question and I can't find any paperwork with the hundreds of other manuals. We have a 2017 Newport and have the same issue with permanent indents where we sleep. Since we sleep on our sides, the memory is extremely uncomfortable when you switch sides. We MUST replace this now. We are looking at airbeds like the sleep number. Personal Comfort, who will make a custom RV size.

danemayer

We appreciate your help.

Hi TheWolfes, and SteveAndPeggy,

From what I recall of the warranty statement in your trailer manual, your Newport came with a 2 year warranty on the coach itself. Appliances and some devices are warranted by their respective manufacturers, not by Heartland. Those devices could have a longer warranty, or a shorter one. Usually if you go to a dealer for service, as the warranty requires, the dealer will figure out who provides the warranty on anything needing repair and will shield you from the details.

If you decide to get into the details yourself, you may end up having to make arrangements with the manufacturer of the failed item. Whether the mattress falls into this category is unknown to me. It might be warranted by Heartland. It might be warranted by someone else. To find out, you'd have to call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.

Or you can let your dealer handle it.

Regardless of who warrants it, the remedy is very likely to only give you a direct replacement. So you'd just get to start over on a new mattress that will probably suit you no better. Most people don't want that, and that's why people are responding by telling you what kind of mattress they got to replace the original.