ATF: Gateway - rubber flap below kitchen slide out

Tweedy

We have a 2014 Gateway 3300ML. This is the rear kitchen model. There is a rubber flap along the floor below the fridge. Behind the rubber flap is located one of the slide out rollers. It seems when retracting the slide the roller runs up onto the rubber flap and consequently the flap is now torn apart. Questions: 1. Can this flap be easily replaced - there is only about a 1" space between floor and slide out to work with? 2. How critical is the flap - what purpose does it serve? 3. If replaced how can a reoccurrence be prevented?
Thanks,
Chuck

sengli

Ours did the same thing. There is a sheet metal "guard" that is supposed to keep the slide seal from getting caught up in the rollers. My sheet metal guard got bent, from the cable guides and let the seal get eaten by the roller. So I bought a replacement slide seal, but ended up repairing the damaged area only. As replacing the seal seemed like a big job. I used some 3M seal adhesive and glued the repair in place, and so far so good for over a year. The key to making the repair stick, is to lightly sand the area first, then make sure you clean the damaged area with MEK, or lacquer thinner before you glue it. Obviously you need to get in there and bend that sheet metal guard back in place so it wont happen again. Its not hard to do.

Attachments

• IMAG0187.jpg
    IMAG0187.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMAG0186.jpg
    IMAG0186.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 66

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have any pics of the area after the repair?
And for those that don't know. MEK is Methyl Ethyl Ketone.
Potent stuff.

Peace
Dave

Bones

We have a 2014 Gateway 3300ML. This is the rear kitchen model. There is a rubber flap along the floor below the fridge. Behind the rubber flap is located one of the slide out rollers. It seems when retracting the slide the roller runs up onto the rubber flap and consequently the flap is now torn apart. Questions: 1. Can this flap be easily replaced - there is only about a 1" space between floor and slide out to work with? 2. How critical is the flap - what purpose does it serve? 3. If replaced how can a reoccurrence be prevented?
Thanks,
Chuck
I had the same thing happen. I think it is meant to keep some dirt out. I just cut the broken area away and left it at that as to repair it would mean ripping off the front decorative area and replacing the rubber section.

Tweedy

As mentioned by 'Bones', I also had cut away the damaged portion of rubber flap in front of the roller leaving the remaining portions in place on both sides of the roller. Will now look underneath with slide extended to check on the sheet metal guard 'sengli' described. Whichever way this goes, I am reluctant to do a complete flap replacement. Either I will just leave it or repair with glue. Now await factory reply. Thanks to all for the feedback.

sengli

In my case it not only kept the dirt out, but just inside that slide seal, was my living room carpet. Plus if that seal is compromised, water flinging off tires, if towing in the rain, would be soaked up by the carpet. I will get a photo of that repair area, soon. I first tried to just glue the repair w/o sanding and cleaning the area....and it stuck for a period of time. Then came loose. I called the factory and they sent me the replacement seal, as at the time my coach was under warranty.

Bones

In my case it not only kept the dirt out, but just inside that slide seal, was my living room carpet. Plus if that seal is compromised, water flinging off tires, if towing in the rain, would be soaked up by the carpet. I will get a photo of that repair area, soon. I first tried to just glue the repair w/o sanding and cleaning the area....and it stuck for a period of time. Then came loose. I called the factory and they sent me the replacement seal, as at the time my coach was under warranty.
I think we are talking about two different things. Your talking about the outside seal where tweedy is talking about a rubber flap located on the interior that does not seal anything. If I am mistaken please correct.

Tweedy

You are correct Bones. The rubber flap is on the interior at floor level and goes in and out with the slide. It's when slide is being retracted that the roller rides up on the flap and 'eats' it.

Bones

You are correct Bones. The rubber flap is on the interior at floor level and goes in and out with the slide. It's when slide is being retracted that the roller rides up on the flap and 'eats' it.
Mine did the same thing. I just cut away the area and I'm not going to worry about it.