Thread: ATF: Gateway - rubber flap below kitchen slide out

1. Print this Post   #1

ATF: Gateway - rubber flap below kitchen slide out

We have a 2014 Gateway 3300ML. This is the rear kitchen model. There is a rubber flap along the floor below the fridge. Behind the rubber flap is located one of the slide out rollers. It seems when retracting the slide the roller runs up onto the rubber flap and consequently the flap is now torn apart. Questions: 1. Can this flap be easily replaced - there is only about a 1" space between floor and slide out to work with? 2. How critical is the flap - what purpose does it serve? 3. If replaced how can a reoccurrence be prevented?
    Thanks,
    Chuck

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: ATF: Gateway - rubber flap below kitchen slide out

Ours did the same thing. There is a sheet metal "guard" that is supposed to keep the slide seal from getting caught up in the rollers. My sheet metal guard got bent, from the cable guides and let the seal get eaten by the roller. So I bought a replacement slide seal, but ended up repairing the damaged area only. As replacing the seal seemed like a big job. I used some 3M seal adhesive and glued the repair in place, and so far so good for over a year. The key to making the repair stick, is to lightly sand the area first, then make sure you clean the damaged area with MEK, or lacquer thinner before you glue it. Obviously you need to get in there and bend that sheet metal guard back in place so it wont happen again. Its not hard to do.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 Landmark Ashland 365
    2014 RAM 3500 Laramie Long Horn, HO diesel dually, 3.73, AISIN
    2013 Big Horn 3260RS (sold)
    2011 Elkridge 26RLSS(sold)

3. Print this Post   #3

Do you have any pics of the area after the repair?
    And for those that don't know. MEK is Methyl Ethyl Ketone.
    Potent stuff.

Peace
    Dave
    Dave and Mary
    and C. J.
    2011 Bighorn 3585RL

2013 RAM 3500, CC, DRW, Aisin
    Heartland Owners Club
    Member #1026

Owners Club Membership is now free! Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

4. Print this Post   #4

Quote Originally Posted by Tweedy View Post
    We have a 2014 Gateway 3300ML. This is the rear kitchen model. There is a rubber flap along the floor below the fridge. Behind the rubber flap is located one of the slide out rollers. It seems when retracting the slide the roller runs up onto the rubber flap and consequently the flap is now torn apart. Questions: 1. Can this flap be easily replaced - there is only about a 1" space between floor and slide out to work with? 2. How critical is the flap - what purpose does it serve? 3. If replaced how can a reoccurrence be prevented?
    Thanks,
    Chuck
    I had the same thing happen. I think it is meant to keep some dirt out. I just cut the broken area away and left it at that as to repair it would mean ripping off the front decorative area and replacing the rubber section.

2019 F450 6.7L Power Stroke 4x4, 450HP 935lb-ft Torque 4.30 gears
    2019 37MDQS Pinnacle
    Sold: 2015 3650BH Gateway
    Sold: 2014 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7l
    Sold: 2015 RAM 3500 4x4 DRW, 6.7 l /AISIN Trans (865 lb-ft) 4.10 gears / Auto Level

5. Print this Post   #5

As mentioned by 'Bones', I also had cut away the damaged portion of rubber flap in front of the roller leaving the remaining portions in place on both sides of the roller. Will now look underneath with slide extended to check on the sheet metal guard 'sengli' described. Whichever way this goes, I am reluctant to do a complete flap replacement. Either I will just leave it or repair with glue. Now await factory reply. Thanks to all for the feedback.
    Chuck & Elaine Tweedy
    Sherwood Park, Alberta, Can.
    2004 Silverado 6.6ltr. Duramax
    2011 Big Country 3250ts
    2014 Gateway 3300ML
    secureflite@shaw.ca

6. Print this Post   #6

In my case it not only kept the dirt out, but just inside that slide seal, was my living room carpet. Plus if that seal is compromised, water flinging off tires, if towing in the rain, would be soaked up by the carpet. I will get a photo of that repair area, soon. I first tried to just glue the repair w/o sanding and cleaning the area....and it stuck for a period of time. Then came loose. I called the factory and they sent me the replacement seal, as at the time my coach was under warranty.
    2015 Landmark Ashland 365
    2014 RAM 3500 Laramie Long Horn, HO diesel dually, 3.73, AISIN
    2013 Big Horn 3260RS (sold)
    2011 Elkridge 26RLSS(sold)

7. Print this Post   #7

Quote Originally Posted by sengli View Post
    In my case it not only kept the dirt out, but just inside that slide seal, was my living room carpet. Plus if that seal is compromised, water flinging off tires, if towing in the rain, would be soaked up by the carpet. I will get a photo of that repair area, soon. I first tried to just glue the repair w/o sanding and cleaning the area....and it stuck for a period of time. Then came loose. I called the factory and they sent me the replacement seal, as at the time my coach was under warranty.
    I think we are talking about two different things. Your talking about the outside seal where tweedy is talking about a rubber flap located on the interior that does not seal anything. If I am mistaken please correct.

2019 37MDQS Pinnacle
    Sold: 2015 RAM 3500 4x4 DRW, 6.7 l /AISIN Trans (865 lb-ft) 4.10 gears / Auto Level

8. Print this Post   #8

You are correct Bones. The rubber flap is on the interior at floor level and goes in and out with the slide. It's when slide is being retracted that the roller rides up on the flap and 'eats' it.
    Chuck & Elaine Tweedy
    Sherwood Park, Alberta, Can.
    2004 Silverado 6.6ltr. Duramax
    2011 Big Country 3250ts
    2014 Gateway 3300ML
    secureflite@shaw.ca

9. Print this Post   #9

Quote Originally Posted by Tweedy View Post
    You are correct Bones. The rubber flap is on the interior at floor level and goes in and out with the slide. It's when slide is being retracted that the roller rides up on the flap and 'eats' it.
    Mine did the same thing. I just cut away the area and I'm not going to worry about it.

2019 37MDQS Pinnacle