Door side storage door opening

fritzwell

Anyone ever changed something like this out to a magnetic full open latch or maybe even a hold open like used on the entry door ? The bedroom and hallway windows might be somewhat of a work around, but less than 90 deg open is a real pain.

Thanks,
Fritz

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Anyone ever changed something like this out to a magnetic full open latch or maybe even a hold open like used on the entry door ? The bedroom and hallway windows might be somewhat of a work around, but less than 90 deg open is a real pain.

Thanks,
Fritz

Are you the original owner and did the door come that way? That seems like they put the wrong kind of shock on there.

If you are still under warranty, send a pic to Heartland and ask if this is correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The shock is either defective or just too short of a stroke. From the photo, it looks too short. Unless you really like having gas struts, you could remove them and put a simple baggage door catch on the wall. Then you could open it 180 degrees. Like those of us have from the pre-slam door days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Maybe they installed two stage shocks by mistake. Intra stop ones?
Add to this if it has the little stop cable on them unloop that cable off the bottom and give the door a firm push upwards. If they are the two stage shock the door will open upwards a lot more with some force.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Bones

Your shocks are more than likely two stage struts. Push up on the outer edge of the door and the struts should go up more past 90 deg. if you don't like them you can change them out like I did for single stage. They are probably 20 inches extended.

fritzwell

I sent Heartland an email along with the picture, a service tech replied this a.m. they are the correct struts. After receiving Jesstalkn and Bones advice, I found them to bee two stage struts.

Boy is My Face RED!!

Thanks to all

SNOKING

I sent Heartland an email along with the picture, a service tech replied this a.m. they are the correct struts. After receiving Jesstalkn and Bones advice, I found them to bee two stage struts.

Boy is My Face RED!!

Thanks to all

Without a slide above the door you do not need the two stage ones. You can take one off and go to an auto parts house and get a single stage one like I am going to do. Chris

Bones

I bet your struts are 20 inches long and 40 lbs each. Most auto parts store are going to be difficult to find an exact match and load. At least that is what I found.

BusManRG

For our previous unit and the hatch on the suburban, we found the best source for replacement was Amazon. Much cheaper and a good selection!

Rich

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
For our previous unit and the hatch on the suburban, we found the best source for replacement was Amazon. Much cheaper and a good selection!

Rich

Yes . . .

But buying locally will let you do quick return and exchanges if they don't seem to work right.

A most often overlooked problem with internet purchases . . .

SNOKING

I found ours are 20" 60 lb struts. Ordered a pair to replace two stage ones. Chris

Last edited:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I found ours are 20" 60 lb struts. Order a pair to replace two stage ones. Chris

I wonder if one of those two stage struts would work on our entrance door.

Right now the door stays straight out when open (which is a big-time drag):

ProwlerRoyalGorge-P7020314.jpg

ProwlerDoorOpen-P1000069.jpg

I'd like to have it swing open about half the way to being open flat against the outside wall.

Right now, it doesn't allow for any air flow through the screen door, plus you can't see anything outside (except straight out), plus the wind catches the door and blows it shut, no matter which way the wind is blowing.

- - - Updated - - -

Guess I should have posted a shot of the strut as well . . .

ProwlerDoorFix-P1010568.jpg

ProwlerDoorFix-P1010565.jpg

ProwlerDoorStrut-1000316.jpg