Cyclone 4250 with Onan 5500 Generator

I am running generator. I turn on AC in either the den or master bedroom and then turn on garage, the ACs usually run fine. If the garage is already on and I turn on either the den or the bedroom, the generator circuits trip, and try to reset, but will not until I turn off the den or master bed AC. Another scenerio is the one of the two circuits will blow on the generator causing me to go to the generator and resetting the circuit. Getting very frustrating. Any ideas what the problem may be? Thank you in advance for your wisdom.
Hank Miller

richheck

Seasoned Member
Make sure both of the breakers on the generator are 30 amp, some of the 5500 gens came with a 20 amp and a 30 amp breaker and the 20 wants to blow. Easy to upgrade to 30/30 if yours is 20/30.

avvidclif

A couple of things to consider. The converter can draw up to 1300w(10.8A) when in boost mode. If you just pulled in and auto-leveled and the fridge was on propane most likely the converter is in boost mode. Add an AC unit and something has to give. Plus the fridge draws 420w(3.5A) on 120v. If the load is not balanced exactly right and you have the 30/20 Onan I think you can see a problem. Also consider the garage may be a 13.5k unit which draws less starting current than the main unit (15K). Start the big-un first and let it settle down.

Edit: Don't forget the water heater that on electric draws 1400w(12.7A).

Converter + water heater + fridge = 27A. There's one 30A breaker with no AC.

I've had the exact same issue with my '15 4200. Hope this might help. I have 2 30A breakers on genset.
1. Level entire trailer first, reason why is the generator is extremely retardedly sensitive to oil level. Make sure it's at the tip top of full mark when rig is fully self leveled
2. Start genset and let it run, I let it run for about 5 min, gives it time to settle down/warm up. Etc
3. Turn on living room ac first let it fire up and run. It draws a ton of amps on first start up of ac. Then after couple min I go to bedroom and fire that one up. And run the fridge and water heater off gas and I've had no issues. The whole system is very sensitive and have to find the right order your rig likes things to be fired up.

John & Kimberly
2015 cyclone 4200
2007.5 ram 3500 qclb dually 4x4 g56 6 speed. Not stock :)
2015 odes raider 800 not stock either. :)
1984 supra comp ts6m ski boat

Btw I super jealous of the 4250, I just found a smoking deal on this 4200 and couldn't pass it up, I had to have side patio so that's why I was deciding on 4250 till I ran across this 4200 for pennies on the dollar

John & Kimberly
2015 cyclone 4200
2007.5 ram 3500 qclb dually 4x4 g56 6 speed. Not stock :)
2015 odes raider 800 not stock either. :)
1984 supra comp ts6m ski boat

ksucats

Given the age I doubt this would be the problem BUT -- check the capacitor for the AC compressor start. On my past unit one unit had a bad capacitor and would take an inordinate amount of electricity to kick off. Same symptoms; if we started it first everything was fine, if second it would over draw from our generator and blow the circuit breakers. We don't have an Onan, this was with paralleled Honda 2000s. Once the capacitor was replaced no more problems.