Mud Flaps

BigGuy82

I've got a Ford F350 diesel dually pulling a 3010RE fiver. Just looking for recommendations on mud flaps - do you use the "behind the wheels" type or the huge ones that are suspended from the trailer hitch and go across the width of the truck? Any pluses/minuses to either?

Seems like to ones that span the rear would do the best job of keeping the coach clean.

Carleen

I heard the skirts along the bumper can actually pick up and throw rocks- kinda like a broom sweeping quickly just above the ground. My dad used the Husky or WeatherTech molded ones and liked them a lot on his F-350 dually. I have the Husky ones and like them on my srw.

Also- my dad has the big skirt one on his new motor home and pulls the Jeep behind it. After travel, the Jeep would have gravel on the hood and would be filthy. He took it off for this last trip and found its a bit better. Not finding gravel on the hood like he did before. The aerodynamics are far different than pulling the fiver, but it could be about the same regarding kicking up gravel.

Carleen
2011 Ford F-350 6.7
2011 Big Horn 3585RL

porthole

Retired
I use Duraflaps on the pickup and mounted them so they are only 4-5 inches off the ground.

The trailer hitch version seems to work for many, but it is not without it's drawbacks. The DRW version is very long.

This picture is a comparison of the factory versus Duraflaps

Mud_flaps_1.jpg

Mud_flaps_2.jpg

IronJ

Gators...WITH brackets!!..

And they look good too😎

dd3635b8a400530ee669e0a46f629802.jpg

15d347212d2d2ba60a9d4aac0fc43b40.jpg

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

IronJ

I also have a set of rock tamers,(the long hitch mounted ones)..they will block EVERYTHING and are wide the way I have em set up for my fat bottom girl....I used em once..realized the giant gators pretty much blocked everything...

IronJ

Nice!!

Carleen
2011 Ford F-350 6.7
2011 Big Horn 3585RL
Thanks, I've owned em all and these are my favorite so far...

As a side note, I have the long and wide version (as I have 12.5" tires x 6 and I'm lifted)

They are trim able to height and the also make a narrower version for narrower (stock size) tires that don't extend past the wheel well.

In the end if you really want good flaps it's dura or gator...and the bracket also make a huge difference especially on a Ford dually where the inner wheel well Is all plastic..the bracket bolts to the pinch weld and supports the entire weight of the HEAVY flap by itself....so the 2-3 solid bolts you can get into the flap itself are just to secure it from flapping...they don't hang all 45lb of mat from the flimsy structure..

MTPockets

Duraflap... Pre drilled and They are easy to mount, will last as long as the truck, stainless steel hardware, can be ordered with custom graphics, they look good... Www.duraflap.com.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 86

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Duraflap here as well and the put my custom art above the stainless weights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IronJ

Is the metal on your duras stainless or aluminim...

The ONE issue I had with my duraflap is I had custom inserts made of my company logo...

They got really pitted and tarnished quickly and really looked bad...I'm pretty sure they were aluminum but honestly don't know??

The flap itself was as good as a giant piece of super heavy rubber can be!!🖒🖒

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Mine appear to be stainless. Second set on as many trucks and no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IronJ

My gators are polished stainless as well and shine right up...

I'll never opt for polished aluminum inserts again that's for sure!!

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Great luck with Husky Mud Guards. Hardly any kick back in trailer. Last set was on truck for 6 years and looked as good as new. Molded perfect for truck.

av2c0h.jpg

MTPockets

Is the metal on your duras stainless or aluminim...

The ONE issue I had with my duraflap is I had custom inserts made of my company logo...

They got really pitted and tarnished quickly and really looked bad...I'm pretty sure they were aluminum but honestly don't know??

The flap itself was as good as a giant piece of super heavy rubber can be!!

. Mine are in fact Stainless Steel. They may offer a polished aluminum, I really don't know. I recall asking for Stainless and that's what I got.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I'm not a fan of mud flaps on the pickup. So I'm thinking of trying the hula skirt across the back, in the hitch. Then I'll put a receiver sleeve on the front of the RV to stick it in to when I unhook. So that way I'll never have it on the truck when I'm not towing the RV.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

IronJ

Texas fo sho!!..gotta have em...

Might as well look good...lol

Sniper

I've got a Ford F350 diesel dually pulling a 3010RE fiver. Just looking for recommendations on mud flaps - do you use the "behind the wheels" type or the huge ones that are suspended from the trailer hitch and go across the width of the truck? Any pluses/minuses to either?

Seems like to ones that span the rear would do the best job of keeping the coach clean.
I have WeatherTech molded flaps on mine. They're made in the USA, work good, and look like they came from the factory. Very easy to install. :)

BigGuy82

All right - I've decided on the DuraFlaps for the rear. Never one to be satisfied, I've got yet another mudflap question. Do any of you have a picture of a Ford Super Duty with flaps on the FRONT also? I'd like to see what that looks like before buying a set.

Thanks