ATF: Landmark - Hand rail

tee4

Need to put a hand rail on the inside right side wall. Going up to Bath/Bed room.
Wife can't use her Left Arm.
Can I screw it to the wall? (small screws about 1")

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Unless you can find the studs in the wall.....there will not be anything but thin plywood to screw into. Get a stud finder and see whats behind the plywood. You could call HL service, with your VIN# handy and ask what is in the wall and is it possible to install a handrail.

tee4

Bob & Patty:
Thanks for your input, great information BUT the studs are Aluminum Tubing.
A stud finder won't work.
I have the construction pdf. BUT it don't show how far between center is the studs.
I need to know around windows (top of steps) and door.
Looking at pictures looks like the door is about 4" But can't see the window.
Need to call Service. Thanks again.
tee4

MTPockets

You could put on an under board long enough to reach from one aluminum stud to the other, screw that to the studs, then place the handrail onto the board at the exact location you need it. The paneling is thin enough to feel the aluminum stud support under by pushing on the paneling.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I'm not so sure that the interior walls have aluminum studs. We have the same wall going up into the BR and the studs are 2"X 2" wood. I am sure the end of the wall starting up the stairs has a stud at the bottom....not sure where next one up the stairs is. There will be a stud at any door way/opening. You really don't need a stud finder...just push on the wall and you will find the studs.