What to see in Colorado for three weeks?

NHCelt

Starting to put together a fall 2017 trip to Colorado from NH. Planning about 3 weeks in Colorado itself after a time in the Great lakes area. So far we figure stop #1 will be Estes Park....we will be coming in on I-80.

After that we could use some recommendations on what not to miss and where not to go. Suggested routes and attractions for a grand tour of Colorado would be much appreciated!!!!.

So far we thought Mesa Verde, Durango, Four Corners and Great Sand dunes areas....but not sure what order or what else we are missing. Our last Western trip missed Colorado so we are going to stay mostly in Colorado but are open to anything else at this point. We will not be dong Grand Canyon, Zion etc. as we did that route last time.

Any suggestions on what to see and what to avoid are much appreciated. We will be there pretty much all of September, 2017 and will be planning on full hookup camping with the Bighorn.....thanks again!

danemayer

Mid-September in Breckenridge (Tiger Run Resort) is beautiful. The Aspens are turning color and there are a number of scenic drives. The weather is usually excellent in September with comfortable days and cool evenings.

Mrsfish

Estes park - Breckenridge- down the middle to pagosa springs, Durango, Mesa verde- would be a fantastic trip

MTPockets

Three weeks, you gotta see Rocky Mountain National Park... One time before retiring, we bought a book "Colorado Ghost Towns" and visited many of these, well off the beaten path and several accessible with only 4wd, which we did in a pickup truck. Our best vacation ever.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
We are having our 2017 CO Chapter Rally at Mancos, CO from Sept. 14-17. The park is right across from Mesa Verde. We would love to have you join us. This is also a great time for the fall colors.

Domi

If your out in western Colorado look to Grand Junction (wine country), and Colorado National Monument, and Dinosaur National Monument. Also The Royal Gorge (train trip if your interested). Glenwood Springs for the hot springs and a zip line. Hoven Weep national monument down by Cortez. Chama-Toltec, or Durango-Silverton trains if you like them. There are also some others trains if you are interested let me know (we like trains). Air Force Academy is also a nice stop, and the Pro Rodeo Hall of fame In Colorado Springs. Fall Colors usually start in the north about the middle to the 20th of the month. Any mountain drives at that time should be good.

Going to or from plan on using I-76 and take a run up to the Pawnee National Grasslands (dry camp ground up there). See the wide open prairie as it was before it was settled.

Personally we would skip 4 corners, it costs to get into it and it really was not impressive, but that is just us. Garden of the Gods had a big fire a few years ago and I do not know if it has recovered.

Good luck, hope you have a great trip.

John and Domi

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Garden of the Gods is ok. The fire did not get into the park but was above it.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We've been over here at Blue Mesa of the Gunnison since Thursday . . . we love this area!

So much to see and do!

Went 4-wheelin' yesterday up some nice scenic mountain roads . . .

And this is what we did today (double click to make larger):

BlueMesaBoat-P1010814.jpg

It was a perfect day!

dlw930

We've been over here at Blue Mesa of the Gunnison since Thursday . . . we love this area!

So much to see and do!

Went 4-wheelin' yesterday up some nice scenic mountain roads . . .

And this is what we did today (double click to make larger):

View attachment 47147

It was a perfect day!

John,

Is that your boat or did you rent it?

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

John,

Is that your boat or did you rent it?

Dave

We rented it . . . part of our Blue Mesa Ranch RV Resort package.

If you go to the Elk Grove boat launch just west of the Blue Mesa Ranch RV Resort (where we just got home from) . . . that is where the marina is, and they've got several boats to rent.

Wish we could have stayed a few more days as we just missed you guys!

What campground are you staying at?

brianlajoie

We were at Rifle Gap State Park. Depending on how early in September, the fruit and wine season is wonderful. I am eating a tree ripened peach right now from Palisade and it is awesome. The Grand Mesa is also a good place to go. We came up through Durango through Ouray to Grand Junction and Rifle. The fall colors start a little earlier in Silverton.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Did anyone mention the drive to Ouray from Lake City over engineers pass?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EswMho1frCI

4x4 high profile vehicles recommended! We rented a jeep in Silverton and did this route. Amazing scenery!!!! Average 10mph!

f9076880b4b2ba7c9880cda2d945dd12.jpg

JohnD

Did anyone mention the drive to Ouray from Lake City over engineers pass?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EswMho1frCI

We went to Lake City last fall . . . nice little town!

They were already closed for the summer season (mid-October, although snowmobiles all over town getting ready for the winter season) and had lunch at the only restaurant/pub in town that was still open.

We just drove down the road to Lake City this weekend, although turned off on a dirt road (Blue Mesa Cutoff Road) about 20 miles before Lake City to do some 4-wheelin'!

- - - Updated - - -

How about the Sand Dunes . . . great place to visit!

SandDunes-IMGP1114.jpg

SandDunesCampsite-P8167070.jpg

Or the Black Canyon . . . one of the most awesome places in the world!

BlackCanyon-IMGP1754.jpg

If you go to the Black Canyon, you'll need two or three days,

And make sure you go to both the south and north rims!

We've done both.

dlw930

We rented it . . . part of our Blue Mesa Ranch RV Resort package.

If you go to the Elk Grove boat launch just west of the Blue Mesa Ranch RV Resort (where we just got home from) . . . that is where the marina is, and they've got several boats to rent.

Wish we could have stayed a few more days as we just missed you guys!

What campground are you staying at?

Blue Mesa RV Ranch. We can stay 14 nights at $10 per as part of our RPI membership. Will pay for our annual membership 2-3 times over. If it's as nice as it sounds, I'm sure we'll return in the future.

JohnD

Blue Mesa RV Ranch. We can stay 14 nights at $10 per as part of our RPI membership. Will pay for our annual membership 2-3 times over. If it's as nice as it sounds, I'm sure we'll return in the future.

Enjoy your stay there . . . it is now our favorite destination with our camper!

We were in site #97 this weekend (in my sig shot, the tree over the hood of my truck in the background is that site).

You'll love that place . . . we do!

The sites up the hill have a good view of the mesa, but the lower sites (where we usually stay) have more trees and shade.

The cable TV is not very good, however, and no OTA stations that deep in the mountains.

The wifi is not free anymore, but it is a lot better now than it was last year!

As for the boat rental, you can inquire about it in the office of Blue Mesa Ranch as they also own the marina.

- - - Updated - - -

Now I know where not to go! Yikes!

Where is that?

Jim.Allison

I did it in a 55 Willys Jeep, and then I did it again in a 94 Suburban. Both were quite the trip. Once I took a trip out of Lake City up into some mountains around there in a 83 Pontiac Bonneville. I got high centered up near a ghost town before I decided to come down out of there. Since that trip my quality of camping has improved each time I have visited there. No tents and cars for me anymore.

4x4 high profile vehicles recommended! We rented a jeep in Silverton and did this route. Amazing scenery!!!! Average 10mph!

f9076880b4b2ba7c9880cda2d945dd12.jpg

Toy1Ton

Toy 1 Ton
Good morning I'm sitting here in Estes Park Colorado and want to tall my 41 for Big Horn down to Golden Colorado can anybody so just a route

- - - Updated - - -

Hills mountains curves does not bother me