Cyclone loading ramp failure

porthole

Retired
Starting a new thread of my own.

One of the original ramp failure threads

Well - I guess I have bragged about the Cyclone giving us so few concerns over the years one too m any times that I finally jinxed myself.

When we got home from Mifflinberg several weeks ago I noticed a slight crack on the ramp by a hinge. I sealed the crack with tape to keep any water out and figured I would look to see what was up soon.
Didn't notice anything while at Luray when unloading, but after loading I noticed that the ramp felt spongy. Not wanting to take a chance I left the bike in the garage for Cherry Hill. This is what it looked like during and after taking the bike out last night when we got home.

The video is taking with the camera laying on the ground looking up, so you are seeing the bike roll out, rear wheel then front wheel.

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing like that on ours. But, I'll have to check my "sticker book". I removed almost every sticker on the rig.

So I do have a sticker, stored away in the sticker book :rolleyes:

Ramp tag.jpg

You need this info when you contact Lippert about the ramp

porthole

Retired
So after 14 days with no communication I just got a phone call from a shipping company to deliver the ramp tomorrow.

Not sure how much hardware is included, but from previous postings it would appear it will be almost complete, except for the seal-gasket.

I have been trying for over 2 weeks now to get heartland parts to follow through 'properly' with a request of parts I need to get this and another project completed.

I am not sure why sending a picture of the general area of the part, a detailed picture of the part and a description of the part and questions of how much and how long of a part can you ship get replies that are not relevant !

I guess I need to get all the 8x10 color glossy photos with a circles and arrows and brief description on the back and send it off to Obie to git-er-dun.

IronJ

Yuuuup...that's what mine looked like when unloading me on a 300lb Honda grom!!

Mine never cracked bit it was turning into a "bowl" shape by the time it got swapped out.

I'd be interested to see what failed on your door...

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

porthole

Retired
My ramp is a lot worse now. I had to try the golf cart to see if it was stable enough for that, and it is not.

We leave in two weeks for 5 weeks and 5 camps.
Plan B is already in the works. Figuring a piece of 1/2" or 3/4" plywood and just carriage through bolt it across the the bottom half of the ramp, sandwiching the lower 2 feet.

IronJ

Yeah. I didn't even try the cart or heavier bikes...it was just too soft for that. ...I will say that from when I dropped my trailer off to dealer till when it got fixed was 4 months. Luckily it all got done before I leave for glacier next week...it's night and day difference so far....no flex at all..

They had cut a section out of my old door and I could see the foam and most innards but I couldent see what the frame was made of or the spacing between the fame...

They cut a 16x16 section out and I tried to feel around for something/anything...and couldent..this was dead middle of the ramp???....I don't know about you, but that don't seem good to be rated for 1k per wheel?..

porthole

Retired
Well it seems we have a brand new ramp door sitting in my driveway - waiting for the siblings to show up now.

With any luck I may actually be able to order the weatherstrip and some other parts on Monday.

IronJ

Which weather strip?..the door has a piece on the edge...should come with that. Mine did

porthole

Retired
The seal that goes around the perimeter of the ramp.
Lippert does not supply it, says it is Heartland OEM

Heartland says they have to get it form the vendor, which would be - Lippert.

IronJ

Mine came out of a giant wood crate...straight from lippert...because I think the door came from lippert directly..unless I'm mistaken ..had new rails,and weather strip...same exact kind as my old bowl shaped door had...lol

porthole

Retired
Mine came out of a giant wood crate...straight from lippert...because I think the door came from lippert directly..unless I'm mistaken ..had new rails,and weather strip...same exact kind as my old bowl shaped door had...lol

My door delivered in a crate as well, labeled with my name, directly from Lippert. Although we could not get it out of the trailer in the crate, had to un-box in the trailer. Even the decal on the door is labeled with my name.
Yours was under your basic warranty I guess?
Our trailer is 7 years old last month. Slightly different in that it is 1/4" smaller all around and some of the hinges do not line up with the original hinges.

For the price I can deal with sourcing the weatherstrip, just frustrating dealing with someone who does not understand the logistics of shipping and "I want the part with arrowhead pointing to it in the picture"

- - - Updated - - -

Can you line your new ramp with diamond plate to help with load distribution?

Shouldn't have to. Besides, it would have to be at least 1/4" thicker or more.
Price and weight - 1/4" x 4' x 8' weighs about 120 pounds and is about $350.

IronJ

Yes mine shipped exactly the same...it was under warranty and APPEARS to be exactly same as original

d207de128c62fe75fcf3f5651cc578d1.jpg

Although once I got home the tags/stickers on rails said funtown rv??..and that's not even my dealer??

Everything lined up perfect...my dealer said biggest pain was lining up the sticker perfect.

Lol

IronJ

Mine had stickers on the rails themselves as well...said funtown rv?...I don't know...it's on my trailer now and looks good and is not bowed...so I'm happy...lol

bdb2047

Duane ,if you have not all ready,look up Steele Rubber Products.They have an RV weatherstripping catalog quite a few in it good pics. and description.

porthole

Retired
Thanks Dave, I'll email them a picture tomorrow.
I'll have the ramp off tomorrow and cut up, disposed off tomorrow as well.
Kids coming over Tuesday to lift the new door in while I bolt it down.

Hardest part is the door has to be set in the frame because of the spring load.

IronJ

Let me know what makes up the innards of yours...I realize it's older but inquiring minds want to know how much thought went into engineering these things

porthole

Retired
Well, the old ramp is off and separated into 3 piles.
Salvageable hardware, aluminum scrap and main piece cut up and stuffed in a trash can.

Cutting was easy, just a jig saw. Once the outer aluminum frame is off there is nothing to cut except a thin sheet of fiberglass skin, 2 pieces of what looks like less then 1/8" luan plywood and 1.5" of styrofoam.

There is absolutely no inner structural supports built into the door.
Seeing how it is made I'm surprised it lasted much past the first year.

I'll post pictures later. As well as the reason that seam shows up when the door is open and exposed to the sun.

a59084126896fcfa9a1d038bac221df6.jpg

IronJ

That's exactly how mine was...

It's an aluminum frame and a vacuum bonded panel just like the side wall , but with ZERO CROSS STUDS..

so yeah..basically a 1/8 piece of luan, 2 inches of foam , another piece of 1/8 inch ply and an outer layer of fiberglass/ gel coat ..they put a bunch of glue and then vaccume bond it all

The bow in mine came where the outer skin and gel coat unbonded from the foam...

It's pretty sturdy when it's all glued tight...but once that fails, it goes down hill quickly!!..

I questioned heartland and they said it had internal structure....I guess they meant foam and glue??.lol

porthole

Retired
If I was in charge - there would be high density wood across the whole bottom up maybe 8-12 inches. That way at least the hinges would have some solid backing.
The hinge area was the only area with rotten wood. Once that 1/8" luan is soaked and rotten the hinges rip though the door.