2017 Cyclone 425

IronJ

Ouch...I got a 21k superglide if you need a new puller clamp...great piece of 300lb hitch amazing ness!!...I'll never own anything but a B&W or superglide....EVER...

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

Cane.MBA

Mike, read the thread "Demco 21K hitch noisy when turning" by sarge. His hitch is destroying itself in 50 miles. Not the same problem as your's....BUT.

Thank you for pointing out that thread. My installer showed me specifically how to adjust the tension on the Autoglide as well as all the places to lube before each use. From reading some of the comments I don't think the thread op has adjusted the tension, nor applied any lube/grease/lithium to his Autoglide. However, thanks to you pointing that out to me, I re-read the manual three times and think I have a pretty good idea of all the adjustments I will need to make tomorrow when I go get my Cyclone!

- - - Updated - - -

I was able to take a much better look at the Pro Series 20k hitch tonight. The slider activation arm seems to have failed at the inner cotter pin hole. Also what surprised me most, is the amount of rust at the point of suspected failure. There shouldn't be any rust on the surface where the seperation occurred, and yet there is...

I'm not a metallurgist but here is my best guess as to what happened. The sliding arm sheared off at th inner cotter pin location. This allowed the hitch to move from a 'locked towing' position to a free sliding position. So while I was only moving at most 3mph, the sudden shift in weight of the hitch sliding to the rear and the the sudden stop when it hit the end of travel caused the hitch to release the pin. This release then dropped the trailer onto my truck, and fortunately with the tailgate up my truck managed to keep the trailer off the ground.

i took several more pictures tonight, but haven't had a chance to upload them. I probably need to dig out my digital camera and get some good macro shots of the arm failure. Not sure my phone camera will provide a high enough resolution to illustrate what I am explaining.

avvidclif

No matter what happens the hitch should not have released the kingpin. If the release arm wasn't tripped the kingpin shouldn't come loose.

My 2 cents worth. I'm guessing it was high hitched. When it came off the hitch and into the bed you hit the brakes and the pinbox went under the hitch and broke the slider release.

Cane.MBA

I thought that initially as well, however, if I had high hitched wouldn't it have pulled loose when I locked the trailer brakes and pulled forward in my truck?

- - - Updated - - -

I got a new Demco 21K Auto slider installed on Tuesday. That is seriously a beast of a hitch. Anyway, I was able to get the trailer home last night, so the ordeal is almost over.

avvidclif

I thought that initially as well, however, if I had high hitched wouldn't it have pulled loose when I locked the trailer brakes and pulled forward in my truck?

- - - Updated - - -

I got a new Demco 21K Auto slider installed on Tuesday. That is seriously a beast of a hitch. Anyway, I was able to get the trailer home last night, so the ordeal is almost over.

You would think so. Who knows???

alwaysbusy

Mike, I dug these up tonight for you out of my file. Since our unit is late model 16' and yours is early 17', they should be the same as line changes/updates are in the fall and have yet to occur this year. The paint codes are as follows:

Black: 696
Blue: 622D3
Silver: UX-2
Dark Gray: 755

Akzonoble Sikkens brand. DO NOT utilize these codes without calling Mike's and Heartland first to confirm. I called both to ensure both have the same numbers. If you do not use a custom paint shop that uses Sikkens, please ensure they have an EXACT cross reference code to their in shop brand automotive paint. If not, many shops use a photo/software system to obtain a match which I've heard doesn't always produce a transparent blend. Best wishes as I know and feel your repair frustrations.

Wk15

Something to look at:

Butch's Services 5th Wheel Latch Kit or a Blue OX bed saver

This is just an idea to save the truck and trailer.

I use the Butch's 5th wheel latch kit. It's cheap insurance.

Sarge

Something to look at:

Butch's Services 5th Wheel Latch Kit or a Blue OX bed saver

This is just an idea to save the truck and trailer.

I use the Butch's 5th wheel latch kit. It's cheap insurance.

Do you have a link for Butchs?

The one at ButchsServices.com states "Under Construction".....

Thanx, Sarge

Wk15

Here is the email:

info@butchsservices.com

Butch just makes them up a few at a time, so you will have to work it out with him when they are available. This device is extremely well built, top quality all the way.

jimandjean

Ugh. I opened this thread and first thing I said was, "sweet, that's our paint job!" Then I scrolled down and felt sick to my stomach. So sorry.

Our very first RV we used to smash a moose all over I95 in Maine. That was 15 years ago, never regretted having the RVs (yup there's been many). Get things fixed and go back on the road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk