6-Point Leveling Problem

rleetsc

I have a 2014 Cyclone 4000 with the 6-pont LCI auto-leveling system. The system was working fine just a couple of days ago but now it will not auto-level. Each time I attempt to auto-level the system starts by retracting the front jacks all the day and then it makes a few brief noises as if it's continuing the process but it never moves any of the other jacks. It the gives an error Jacks Timed Out and that's as far as it goes. All the jacks work fine manually. I installed a new battery and topped off the fluid.

Any ideas?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
There are a couple of things that I would try.
Unplug the "brain" from the 12 bolt system, re-zero the auto level, call Lippert.
Come back and let us know what you find.
You might also look in the "Tools" section located at the top of this page.
Here is a link to what you will want. [LINK]

Peace
Dave

danemayer

There's at least one sensor that the brain uses to determine when the rig is level. Sounds like the brain is not getting the right signal from the sensor.

Call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Ask where the sensor(s) are located on your model/floor plan. Perhaps a sensor has come loose and is out of place or unplugged.

nander

Texas North Chapter Leaders-retired
Check the levelup box (ours is in the front basement) and make sure it is secure. Ours was dangling and the level up did this. It is a black box that has an antenna on it. It is not the box you use to auto level, etc.

pegmikef

I have a 2014 Cyclone 4000 with the 6-pont LCI auto-leveling system. The system was working fine just a couple of days ago but now it will not auto-level. Each time I attempt to auto-level the system starts by retracting the front jacks all the day and then it makes a few brief noises as if it's continuing the process but it never moves any of the other jacks. It the gives an error Jacks Timed Out and that's as far as it goes. All the jacks work fine manually. I installed a new battery and topped off the fluid.

Any ideas?

I had that exact same problem and we (Lippert, HL and I) never really did find out the problem. I had found that the 20 Amp extension I was using had an erratic short in one of the connectors and thought that it was possibly causing the converter to output erratic voltages to the batteries causing the levelup system to receive the voltage anomalies. Anyway, I leveled the trailer manually and then re-zeroed the brain. I then hooked it up to my truck and used the auto-retract feature to raise all of the jacks. Then lowered the landing gear, unhooked the truck and used auto-level and it worked fine. I followed this procedure off and on for a few weeks and it continued to work. We just returned from a trip to Cortez, CO and everything worked fine.

avvidclif

I don't know about all of the 6 pt systems but mine has 2 sensors. One in the control box at the front and a remote at the rear. Mine does all sorts of weird stuff after the rv has been moved, says it's was way out of level (over 4 degrees off which causes system shutdown),etc. I have replaced the main control box at the front and Heartland told me where the rear one is but I haven't had time to dig it up (it's under the coroplast behind the rear axle). I thought about just unplugging the rear one and seeing what happens but but Lippert had a fit. They bought the control system (patents) from a private company and I don't think they even really understand it. My impression from the Lippert folks I have talked to.

As long as I can manually level it it's not a high priority.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I've had this issue twice now. So far I've found that after I re-hook to the truck then go to Auto retract and press enter, It will do it's thing (retracting all 6 jacks) then power off.
Then start over, Lower the front jacks, pull the truck out, and press Auto Level. I think it will work.
Let us know what you find.

rleetsc

There are a couple of things that I would try.
Unplug the "brain" from the 12 bolt system, re-zero the auto level, call Lippert.
Come back and let us know what you find.
You might also look in the "Tools" section located at the top of this page.
Here is a link to what you will want. [LINK]

Peace
Dave

Thanks Dave. I actually did all those things and Lippert basically blew me off on a couple of calls. Thanks for the link.

rleetsc

I don't know about all of the 6 pt systems but mine has 2 sensors. One in the control box at the front and a remote at the rear. Mine does all sorts of weird stuff after the rv has been moved, says it's was way out of level (over 4 degrees off which causes system shutdown),etc. I have replaced the main control box at the front and Heartland told me where the rear one is but I haven't had time to dig it up (it's under the coroplast behind the rear axle). I thought about just unplugging the rear one and seeing what happens but but Lippert had a fit. They bought the control system (patents) from a private company and I don't think they even really understand it. My impression from the Lippert folks I have talked to.

As long as I can manually level it it's not a high priority.

They suggested t me that I replace the control box at the front as well but I am hesitant to do so as it seems these things are somewhat flaky anyway. Do you recall the cost of replacing that unit? Did you get it from a dealer or directly from them?

- - - Updated - - -

Check the levelup box (ours is in the front basement) and make sure it is secure. Ours was dangling and the level up did this. It is a black box that has an antenna on it. It is not the box you use to auto level, etc.
I have a white box labeled "Front" with an arrow in the front where all of the harnesses for the leveling system seem to go to. Is that what you are referring to?

- - - Updated - - -

There's at least one sensor that the brain uses to determine when the rig is level. Sounds like the brain is not getting the right signal from the sensor.

Call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Ask where the sensor(s) are located on your model/floor plan. Perhaps a sensor has come loose and is out of place or unplugged.

Thanks. I called Heartland as you suggested and they asked for my VIN and emailed me the manual. He basically said call LCI and if they couldn't help take it to the dealer.

pegmikef

Thanks Dave. I actually did all those things and Lippert basically blew me off on a couple of calls. Thanks for the link.

When I was trying to figure my problem out, I found that email with Lippert worked better. The tech would suggest things to try and when I reported back he would have me look at something else. As I said above, we never did find a specific problem. One thing about the sensors. Lippert does not know specifically where the rear sensor is as the trailer OEM installs them. Give Heartland your VIN and they should be able to get the info from engineering for each model. I have also found that email with HL CS also seems to get better results if you can succinctly explain what you need (i.e., rear sensor location for VIN ???).

nander

Texas North Chapter Leaders-retired
[Q

I have a white box labeled "Front" with an arrow in the front where all of the harnesses for the leveling system seem to go to. Is that what you are referring to?Q]

Yes, this is the box. We had changed ours to use the remote control and it had not been fastened.

rleetsc

I am at the coach now and decided to try manually leveling the camper. front to back was no problem however side to side is giving me a similar issue to the auto-level. Once I had front to back level, the left side of the coach needed to come up about 1.9 degrees according to the LCI panel. When I press left to bring those jacks down the pump initiates very briefly and you feel the coach just slightly move but nothing happens. This occurs each time I press the left button. Any further thoughts?

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired
I am sure you know how this works, but did you press and hold the button til it eliminates the1.9 degrees or just press it and release expecting it to resolve the 1.9 automagically. BTW welcome again to the forum from the SC Chaper Leaders

rleetsc

I am sure you know how this works, but did you press and hold the button til it eliminates the1.9 degrees or just press it and release expecting it to resolve the 1.9 automagically. BTW welcome again to the forum from the SC Chaper Leaders

Yeah, I held it down but when I did so I would literally hear the pump kick on for 1.5 seconds and stop even while I held the button down. I am new to this leveling system but I read the manual, watched videos and the guy I got the coach from walked me thru the entire process a couple of times and we had no problems. I pulled it 15 miles to my storage lot, backed it in place and began having these problems. I was finally able to manually level it tonight thru the use of larger leveling blocks. I plan to pull the coach out this weekend and try all of this again on as level of a concrete and/or asphalt pad as I can. Being that I am new to this I am open to any feedback any one wants to provide!

benmack1

I had the same problem a few weeks back as the OP. Couldn't get it to autolevel to save my life. Hooked up, moved it, unhooked, tried over and over. Called LCI and they gave me a case number and assured me they would work with me. I then took a trip with it (about 250 miles each way). I manual leveled at the campground which I actually have come to like better than the auto leveling. Did a manual retract and drove home. When I backed it in the barn after the trip I thought I'll give it a try to autolevel again.....worked perfectly. Never figured out what the issue was. Not really going to spend time worrying about it as the manual leveling is my preference now.

rleetsc

So I think the problem is beyond just auto-leveling maybe. I was closing my slides yesterday and two different times the slides would not completely close. It pump would kick on to pull it in but pauses part of the way through it. I had to wait 15 seconds and then complete it. I had the same thing occur when retracting the jacks. The jacks did auto-retract but it seemed to take it longer than usual. What really concerned me was when I was lifting the front so that I could hook it up to my truck. They would raise for say 10 seconds and then stop. I would wait 15 seconds and do it again. It took 4 or 5 different "breaks" to get the landing gears raised high enough for my truck. Any further ideas?

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Sounds like a weak auto resetting 50amp mini breaker. It should be in the battery box area on the buss bar. Sorry I don't have a picture on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

So I think the problem is beyond just auto-leveling maybe. I was closing my slides yesterday and two different times the slides would not completely close. It pump would kick on to pull it in but pauses part of the way through it. I had to wait 15 seconds and then complete it. I had the same thing occur when retracting the jacks. The jacks did auto-retract but it seemed to take it longer than usual. What really concerned me was when I was lifting the front so that I could hook it up to my truck. They would raise for say 10 seconds and then stop. I would wait 15 seconds and do it again. It took 4 or 5 different "breaks" to get the landing gears raised high enough for my truck. Any further ideas?

As Gus said, probably a weak 50 amp 12V DC mini-circuit breaker. There's a row of them near the battery. Easy to change out and they can usually be found at an RV or Marine parts store, or from Amazon.

I've attached a picture of the buss bar and breakers, with the red-rubber boot removed. Yours could look a little different and the order of the breakers will likely be different. Look for the thick wires. There are usually 2 breakers with thick wires attached. The breaker with thick wires on both sides is typically going to the Power Converter and Fuse Box. The other one typically goes to the hydraulic pump.

Attachments

• Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 37

IronJ

Yep...change the breaker...and carry spares...every time it resets it just gets weaker till nothing will retract correctly.

My fronts worked manually but the sides and slides reset 15 times trying to bring them up

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

rleetsc

Thanks guys. That makes sense to me-I had no idea those were actually breakers and not just some sort of distribution block. I went by Camping World and they did not have any nor did any of the local boat stores nearby. Of all places, Walmart had ONE so I picked it up. I'll order some additional ones on Amazon so I will have them if need be. I'll go by the storage lot shortly and install it. Thanks again!