Slide Out Rollers

Ofdmic

Has anyone had any problems with their slide out rollers? I have two rollers on my kitchen slide that have broken off on either side of the bracket (dog ears) causing the slide to sag down and tear the linoleum. The brackets are made from what appears to be cheap cast aluminum. Just curious.

Michael & Cindy Kerns
2015 Landmark Newport 365
2014 3500 Ram Dually Mega Cab

danemayer

Hi Ofdmic,

It's not a very common problem, but you're not the first to have a roller problem. There may be something wrong with the slideout adjustment.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Was it the brackets or the roller shaft that broke.
That stuff is replaceable and rollers cost about $20 each.
It can be a DIY project.

Peace
Dave

avvidclif

From what I've seen it might be DIY IF you can figure out how to remove the slide. Can't change them otherwise from what I can tell...

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
In many cases the slide does not have to be removed.
If it is the slide roller or bracket one option is to put a board on the top of the slide. When the slide is brought in the top will stop at the board and the bottom will come in and rise up.
IF the floor roller is in need of replacement, usually jacking the slide up will allow enough room to access the roller or bracket.
Many rollers are replaceable without removing the bracket. The shaft will come out to allow replacement of the roller.
I don't know if the above applies in all cases.

Peace
Dave

Ofdmic

Thanks to all who have responded so far. A little more info on the slide and brackets. The kitchen slide is 15' long and has 4 rollers- one on each end and 2 in the center. Both of the center rollers are now free floating due to both sides of the brackets breaking off ( cheap cast aluminum). The pins on both rollers are intact. More than I can say for the linoleum !!

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

If it is the slide roller or bracket one option is to put a board on the top of the slide. When the slide is brought in the top will stop at the board and the bottom will come in and rise up.
IF the floor roller is in need of replacement, usually jacking the slide up will allow enough room to access the roller or bracket.
Many rollers are replaceable without removing the bracket. The shaft will come out to allow replacement of the roller.

Peace
Dave

Good to know, the block of wood on top is a good idea. Hope I never need to try it.

avvidclif

Peace
Dave

If the roller is bad that may work but when the bracket is broken the slide comes out. The screws holding the bracket are put in from above. That or a right angle screwdriver

Garypowell

I am surprised no one has advised you to contact Heartland. From your information you should have plenty of warranty time left.

Fixing a cabinet pull is one thing but messing with slide rollers is something else. Plus this problem could have long term consequences.

wdk450

If I was going to all the trouble to remove and replace the rollers, I would buy a couple of new rollers then re-engineer the brackets with heavier metal. A look at the J 38 roller images in Google SEEMS to make them look like they are now beefier, though:
J38 Slide Roller.jpg

Piperflyer

I just found a broken roller bracket on my kitchen slide out. It caused a tare in my floor. I hope Heartland will honor fixing this because I am out of warranty by 3 weeks

Ofdmic

Definitely call Heartland warranty and talk to them. This seems to be a recurring problem with this style of roller. The brackets are made from a cheap cast aluminum. Hopefully they put a recall on these.

wdk450

Gang:
I just got my new J38 slide roller, that I ordered through Sears.com. I paid through the nose in able to use my Sears credit card for this. But the roller seems VERY strong. The frame is 1/8 inch powder coated steel (I checked with a magnet). The whole thing seems pretty beefy. I don't have the original roller right now to compare it against, though.

It is surprising how many specific auto and RV parts you can order through Sears.com. They have a large number of sub-vendors (like Amazon) though.

I have a couple of moves scheduled in the next two weeks, so i won't tackle this job for a while. I had a good sized piece of repair sheet metal in the storage area that I Gorilla Taped to the floor in the damaged area until I can get the roller repair done.

Piperflyer

Peace
Dave

Once the slide is raised how do you remove the screws holding the slide bracket in place? I need to install a complete new bracket and rolle.r

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Well I guess we all have our own skill set but me, I'd be removing that facia trim piece. Likely able to access the roller for replacement. then I'd reattach the wood trim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk