Tire Question

Dry Heat

Hi All,
I have a 07 2700RL. Although the trailer has less than 3000 miles on it and the tires look perfect, the "Made in China" tire s scare the heck out of me. I welcome any suggestions or recommendations regarding what replacements to get. Thanks for your help.

vangoes

Bill,
I am still running my "made in China tires" and I now have about 10,000 miles on them. They still look very good and they have never leaked any air since I bought the coach over a year and a half ago. I do now run a tire pressure monitor, so I feel a little more comfortable with running these tires a little longer. I think as long as they still look like they are holding up (no bubbles, cracks, etc.) I will run them for a while longer. Me, like you and others, have been very paranoid about these tires but I believe with the proper maintenance (air pressure, slower driving on hot roads, not scuffing sidewalls, etc.) they will hold up for a reasonable length of time. JMHO.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Bill
I have been running my China Bombs since we bought the unit. At least 12000 miles on them so far. No problems yet... I check the air pressure everytime we haed out and while on the road. Also I check the 3 sides that I can see, for cracks, checks, blisters and bulges . [outside wall, inside wall and the tread]
Just about every tire out there these days are made in China. Even the "good" ones.
Check the manufacture date to see how old your tires are and if they are 5 years old think about replacing them, if they are 7 years old replace then now.

cjbearden

Visitor
We had an '06 BH 3400RL we purchased in 04/2006 and ran original tires until October 2007 when bubbles started appearing. DH was vigilant in maintaining proper tire pressure and making frequent walk around checks whenever we were traveling. Make sure your spare actually does fit your hubs (ours did not). We were blessed in that DH saw a bubble on one tire after we made a brief pit stop and Good Sam's found a local tire man to change it out for us. About a week later, two more tires developed bubbles and that's when we decided to switch to the Goodyear tires. Much has been posted on the forum about the tires and if you will do a search on "tires" "china bombs", etc., I think you will find enough information to help you decide whether or not to change now or wait.

Good luck and may you have safe and happy travels.

nhunter

I'm with vangoes and sailorand. I have 10-11000miles on my and they have given me no problems. I run 80psi. So far so good

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Here's a good story. We have a friend with 2006 SOB fifth. He tows way too fast, never checks his tire pressure or gives a thought to his tires. Last outing I happened to look over at his tires and noticed they were Mission brand,:eek: the original chinese tires that everyone had so many problems with. Go figure. The guy must be lucky I guess. As for us, the only two blowouts we've had in 25 years of RV'ing were with Michelin XPS tires on the class A. Doesn't make them bad tires, just that we probably ran over some road debris. We're not so lucky I suppose. :)
Still running the chinese tires on ours, about 3,000 miles now. We check pressure and visually inspect before and during every trip. We don't tow so fast and we're not overloaded. I'm sure we'll have a blowout long before the neglected Mission tires go.

Jimmyt5

Picked up a nail and called roadside service,while I was talking to the guy who by the way knew his job, I asked if he saw a lot of bad Chinese tires, he said not anymore then American made!!!:confused:

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
I am glad you are having good luck with your "chinese tires". Some of us have not been so lucky. My first set, that came with the trailer, had less than 800 miles of them and developed bubbles in the sidewalls. Stopped at a tire store in Dodge City, Kansas and bought 4 new tires. When I looked at the sidewalls and saw "Made in China" on them, I told the owner that I was not comfortable replacing bad Chinese tires with more Chinese tires. He told me that he had sold hundreds of these tires with no problems. Well, in less than 1200 miles, I had a blow out of one of the tires that resulted in $2500 worth of damage to my trailer. The very next day, a tire on the other side had complete tread seperation. Luckily, no damage to the trailer, other than a bit of bending to the knee braces on the frame. I immediately went out and bought Goodyear tires, to the tune of $1300 dollars. So, with less than 2500 miles on the trailer, I have been through $2000+ in tires and $2500 dollars worth of damage to my trailer, all attributed to Chinese made tires. I believe I was as conscientous as anyone about the maintenance and tire pressure checks. I even went out and bought a new Dewalt air compressor, to the tune of $275, and the trailer never moved so much as a foot without all tires being checked and brought up to the proper pressure. Whenever I stopped the tires were checked and never allowed to run at less than the optimum pressure. And still I ended up with problems. Best of luck with yours, I was not so lucky.
Fred

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
We're nearing 10,000 miles on our original China tires and so far so good. We did have a buldge on the spare that we noticed and our dealer had iot replaced (never used). We have the Pressure Pro monitor and check tires before each travel day. I have never had to add air to these tires...../Doug

fishn2dmax

Noticed a buldge in on one of my factory OEM china made tire at 1300 miles ( 4 months old). After getting it replaced at no-charge ( but with some hassle), I noticed yet another tire beginning to do the same thing. I purchased new Maxxis tires and no problems to date. I agree not all China tires are "bombs", but the odd's are higher of having a problem with a mainland chinese tire than with a quality tire like the Michelin Rib or Maxxis ST tires. I personally didn't like the odds or wish to take the saftey risk. My Family's safety and that of other familys on the road is just not something I'm willing to gamble with!

Dry Heat

Thanks to all for the posts... Although these Milestars looked fine (so far), my conscience got the better of me this weekend. Our local tire store carried Maxxis, so I had them put on a set of E rated ST225/75/15's. I'll feel better the next time we head out across this AZ desert. Happy travels.

Bill

geeman53

We just made our first long trip w/ our new Maxxis and couldn't be happier.Our neighbor @ Pirateland in their new Zinger had one blowout and another tire go flat overnight ,BEFORE they had reached Myrtle Beach.He had all four bombs under his Zinger to take them back to his dealer.He bought four Carlisles in Columbia,SC which he wasn't crazy about.The first thing he noticed on our Sundance was our Maxxis.Go Figure.
Garry

TRAVELER07

Founding New Mexico Chapter Leader
hello all. Does anyone know the tire load cap.of Goodyear,Marathon size ST 235/80/16 235/80/16 load range D ? I was wondering if the tires a load cap. that I could go fulltiming with without worring if the tires are over there load limit?YRAVELER07