Pin weights 3055rl

deee2

We just came home with our new Bighorn 3055rl. Towed it with our 2004.5 Dodge 2500 HD, 4x4 with air bags. DH said towing was fine. He took more time to stop and also to 'go' than our old 5th wheel.
My question is this. We weighed in on the CAT scales and it showed our pin weight to be 2480 lbs! I guess our options got it up there. But the 3055 was basically coming home empty. Once we put food, clothing, pots and pans and the stuff in the underbelly, any idea what our pin weight will be then??? We're thinking we need a DRW. Sigh

Any advice or weights?

Donna :confused:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Donna, the pin weight will change depending on how you load the trailer and the options you have. We have a 3400RL and we are full time and our pin is 2600 to 2700 depending on many things. The 3400 and 3055 are very close in weight. There should be some 3055 owners out there who will respond but a DRW is a likely necessity. You mentioned one very important factor in your post. You noticed it took longer to stop. It's also a good idea to check the brakes on the trailer to insure they are correctly adjusted. Every little bit helps.

BobSue

new 3055rl

We just bought a 3055RL in April.

After my first weighing all loaded up with all our stuff I got a pin weight of 2640 and exceeded the GVWR by about 600#. Each axle loading was below allowable but total was over.

I am towing with 2006 F-250 super duty diesel.

It looks to me like I need a one ton truck.

If you search for weights you will find lots of threads.

gdog

gdog
We have a 2009 3055 and tow with a 2007 classic 2500 HD duramax. We have never weighed but tow comfortably with this set-up. I do try to limit the fresh water we travel with, and do think about how the trailer is loaded. One thing I am always playing with is the break controller (prodigy) since brakes on new trailers need adjustment when breaking in.
gdog