EVENT: Heartland Chapter Rally: GA, Pine Mountain - 9/8/2017 to 9/11/2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

plshilo

Well let me say this we live in N Florida and are already here at the campground waiting for everyone to Party ON....

so i have to be the elephant in the room. Thoughts: the weather looks like it will be nice but a bit breezy. do we still attend? will we be getting in line on the highway with all the other evacuees on Sunday and crawl home? would we be better off giving up our site so evacuees have a place to go to? I'm playing wait and see. being our first rally we are really looking forward to attending but the eagle scout in me is looking at the practical side. anyone else have any thoughts that might make this decision easier?

I've had the same concerns along with the possibility that Tampa family is likely headed this way. I am getting ready to head to Pine Mtn because the forecast is saying we should be in a god spot. Pine Mtn, being nestled in some pretty nice hills should be somewhat protected from bad wind, of which, if I have my info right, shouldn't get there until Monday eve or Tuesday. As far as traffic goes, if your only way home is I75 southbound, I would have to agree. It's gonna be a crawl. I'll be using all back roads to get home.

thevanhouts

I've had the same concerns along with the possibility that Tampa family is likely headed this way. I am getting ready to head to Pine Mtn because the forecast is saying we should be in a god spot. Pine Mtn, being nestled in some pretty nice hills should be somewhat protected from bad wind, of which, if I have my info right, shouldn't get there until Monday eve or Tuesday. As far as traffic goes, if your only way home is I75 southbound, I would have to agree. It's gonna be a crawl. I'll be using all back roads to get home.

Well, after careful consideration, unless something changes drastically between now and Friday we will be arriving on time for a 2 p.m. check in Friday. Funny, my son and his family are evacuating from Savannah. Told them they can stay in my house...were going camping. LOL.

marthamscott

Looks like we will have to cancel. If it were just us we would be there but since we have our sons and my mother in the house as well, we can't take the risk of not getting back if there is an evac order.

We'll miss seeing everyone!

thevanhouts

Looks like we will have to cancel. If it were just us we would be there but since we have our sons and my mother in the house as well, we can't take the risk of not getting back if there is an evac order.

We'll miss seeing everyone!

sorry to hear. my son is in Beaufort, actually on Lady's island. his wife and 2 daughters arrived here in atlanta last night. he will be coming once the base closes. last report is it will only be a category 1 when it hits there. good luck.

davebennington

We have several events happen at the Georgia Rally:

First: Randy and Santha Allen announced they would retire after 8 years of service as Georgia Chapter Leaders.

Second: Paul and Sue Alfano are the new Georgia Chapter Leaders effective 10/1/2017

IMG_7315-1.jpg
All of the Georgia Chapter members that were at the rally presented the retiring couple with a token of appreciation.

IMG_7320-1.jpg IMG_7333-1.jpg

A special thank you for your service from the Southeast Region Director.

dave

thevanhouts

made it home safe and sound. for those that wanted my smoked mac N cheese recipe here it is.

• 1 (16-ounce) package elbow macaroni
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 cups milk
  • 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, cut into large chunks
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 cups (8 ounces) extra sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 2 cups (8 ounces) Gouda cheese, shredded
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) Parmesan cheese, shredded
  • Optional: pulled pork, bacon, brisket, etc.

1. Load the wood tray with one small handful of wood chips and preheat the smoker to 225 degrees F.
  2. Cook pasta according to package directions. In a medium saucepan, melt butter, and whisk flour into the butter. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes, until sauce is bubbly and thick. Whisk in milk and bring to a boil. Cook 5 minutes until thickened. Stir in cream cheese until mixture is smooth. Add salt and pepper.
  3. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup Cheddar, 1 cup Gouda cheese, Parmesan cheese, pasta, cream sauce, and optional ingredients. Spoon mixture into an 11 x 9-1/2-inch aluminum roasting pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle top with remaining Cheddar cheese and Gouda cheese.
  4. Place in smoker and cook 1 hours at 225 degrees F, until brown, bubbly and delicious.

clayhud

We have several events happen at the Georgia Rally:

First: Randy and Santha Allen announced they would retire after 8 years of service as Georgia Chapter Leaders.

Second: Paul and Sue Alfano are the new Georgia Chapter Leaders effective 10/1/2017

View attachment 54458
All of the Georgia Chapter members that were at the rally presented the retiring couple with a token of appreciation.

View attachment 54460 View attachment 54461

A special thank you for your service from the Southeast Region Director.

dave

Randy & Santha, Thanks for another great rally and for all your years as Chapter Leaders!

Paul & Sue, Look forward to attending your GA rallys.

All the best,

davebennington

We in Stone Mountain RV park. All safe and sound, we will be here to try up a few loose ends and get ready for the Region Rally in April, 2018. Hope everyone has made it home OK.

dave

plshilo

Guys....It was Great seeing you all again. We want to Thank Randy & Santha for a Super Rally!!!! We are still here in the campground waiting to see what happens. Also looking forward to All the GA Rally's with Paul & Sue.... Hopefully we can see everyone in the Keys???? Travel Safe

We made it home safe and sound as well! Had to dodge a little shrapnel on the back roads from all the wind but it was uneventful! We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and we're still not hungry! Lol. Thanks everyone for making us feel so welcome as part of the Heartland family! You guys rock! Hope to see ya many more times in the future!

made it home safe and sound. for those that wanted my smoked mac N cheese recipe here it is.

• 1 (16-ounce) package elbow macaroni
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 cups milk
  • 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, cut into large chunks
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 cups (8 ounces) extra sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 2 cups (8 ounces) Gouda cheese, shredded
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) Parmesan cheese, shredded
  • Optional: pulled pork, bacon, brisket, etc.

1. Load the wood tray with one small handful of wood chips and preheat the smoker to 225 degrees F.
  2. Cook pasta according to package directions. In a medium saucepan, melt butter, and whisk flour into the butter. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes, until sauce is bubbly and thick. Whisk in milk and bring to a boil. Cook 5 minutes until thickened. Stir in cream cheese until mixture is smooth. Add salt and pepper.
  3. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup Cheddar, 1 cup Gouda cheese, Parmesan cheese, pasta, cream sauce, and optional ingredients. Spoon mixture into an 11 x 9-1/2-inch aluminum roasting pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle top with remaining Cheddar cheese and Gouda cheese.
  4. Place in smoker and cook 1 hours at 225 degrees F, until brown, bubbly and delicious.
Awesome stuff! Already shared with the family!

Toccoatravelers

Thanks Randy and Santha for a great final rally, we so appreciate all you have done for the Georgia Chapter! Congratulations to Paul and Sue, we have no doubt you will do a great job!

just a quick update, heard from Linda and Walter West, they did suffer some damage, trees and fence down, solar panels blown off roof, but the good news is they and their family are all fine! Cleanup starts today.

Randy

Founding Georgia Chapter Leader (Ret)
Santha and I want to thank all of you for joining us at the rally. We appreciate all the help
we had in cleaning the activity center for the rally. The rally would not have been a success
without all of the participation. Thank you Steve & Patty Lester, Paul & Sue Alfono, Joe &
Linda Shejbal, Tommy & Linda Sexton. Thank you for the help in cleaning the building and
also for the help putting the rally on. Thanks to Joe, Paul and Steve for smoking our dinner
Saturday evening. It had to be good, there was none left.

I also want to say that the 8 years we have been chapter leaders has only been successful
because of the support from club members and we thank you.

We also want to thank the Georgia chapter members for the framed thank you document
and water fountain which is on the counter in the kitchen and making noise.
Randy, Santha and the Poodles

Last edited:

ALF

Former Georgia Chapter Leaders
Thank you to Randy and Santha (let's not forget the poodles!) for a great time. We appreciate all your hard work over the years and for taking in a poor lost soul and giving him nourishment. We look forward to hosting our first rally! We hope that everyone made it through the storms safely!

ljsexton

Thank you Randy and Santha for another great rally. We enjoyed meeting all the newbies. Ya'll have done a fabulous job as chapter leaders. Now sit back and relax. We returned home with the usual storm cleanup and thankfully no damage. See you down the road.

c1andc2

Thank you Santha and Randy for a great weekend and introduction to our first rally. We had a fun time meeting everyone and we look forward to seeing everyone again soon!

Randy

Founding Georgia Chapter Leader (Ret)
We want to thank all of the people that attended. That is what makes a rally. It is not only
meeting old friends but making new ones. New friends thank you for coming. Make Paul &
Sue Alfonos first rally a great success as we look to the future.
Randy, Santha and the Poodles

lindaw

Florida Chapter Leader - Retired
Thank you to Randy and Santha (let's not forget the poodles!) for a great time. We appreciate all your hard work over the years and for taking in a poor lost soul and giving him nourishment. We look forward to hosting our first rally! We hope that everyone made it through the storms safely!
Congratulations Paul and Sue

Status
Not open for further replies.