ATF: Road Warrior - Possibly dangerous front door

tbrien

We just picked up our 427 a couple of weeks ago in Michigan. Love this beautiful beast. But the front door wont close unless its slammed really hard from the inside or the outside. Our 5 yr old grandson went out it the other day and tried to close it and by the time he slammed it the second time. our 2 yr old granddaughter had made her way over there. She got just a tiny part of the side of her finger in it. It could have been really bad. Had he been able to close it correctly the first time it would not have been an issue. What's going on with this door? The garage door works fine. Is there something we aren't doing? Does it need adjusting? Please advise.
Thanks!

danemayer

Hi tbrien,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Something with your door is probably out of adjustment, but things like this can be pretty difficult to figure out without having eyes on the problem area.

Maybe someone will have some ideas for you, but you may just need to take the trailer to a repair location so they can examine the door. If you want to use a mobile service person who can come to your location, get prior approval from Heartland by calling 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. You'll have to pay the travel charge, but often that's a good tradeoff compared to hauling the rig to a dealer.

Rhyph

If you are having to "slam" the door to get it to latch, the strike plate needs to be adjusted. We had to adjust ours a little bit as well a few weeks ago now for the same reason. Expect more small adjustments like this as necessary while things settle in during the first year of use.

Crumgater

We shut our door gently, using the handle in the open position, then letting go once the door is shut so it will latch.
Slamming a door is never a good idea in my book.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I'd also look at the strike plate position, especially if it wasn't that hard to close when you first got the rig.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

avvidclif

FWIW on mine when the sun is shining on the door it's hard to open and close. After the sun moves it's fine. A little heat expansion. All depending on the rv being leveled first of course.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Slamming the door over time will cause the tabs that hold the window glass in place to break, and the glass can slip down inside the frame. (This is on a standard RV door, not sure about toyhauler front doors as they are made differently.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solo

I just picked up a 2016 427 a couple of weeks ago and have been having the same problem. Any help would also be greatly appreciated

Jv75353

We had a similar issue with the garage side door on our Cyclone when we picked it up just over a year ago. The strike plate stuck out to far towards the door not allowing the door to close easily, it took quite a bit of force. We removed the screws holding the plate then flattened the plate alittle with a hammer and steel backer. After a couple of check fits and readjustments everything worked fine. The door closed easily, it did look like the strike plate was slightly bowed before it was "adjusted".