Exterior restoration

uncledon

Her chauffeur
So my 2009 BH 3055RL that I purchased a couple years back had been cleaned at some point with something that appears to have etched the clearcoat. You can see what looks like brush marks and drip runs in portions of the gelcoat. The decals are also faded and curling. I have tried 3M Marine cleaner/wax which makes it shine and takes away some chalking, but doesn't really touch the etching.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion I may need to have it professionally restored. I have a couple of "requests for quotes" out. Does anyone have any suggestions/advice on the subject?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
TXBobcat did some exterior work on his 2008 Bighorn. I've seen it several times and I think it looks great.
Here is a link to a recent update on the job. The link will also provide a link in his post that will take you to the original post. [LINK]

Peace
Dave

uncledon

Her chauffeur
So I've thrown a bunch of ideas around in my head on what to do about the condition of the exterior of my BH. There are two professional outfits in Elkhart, IN that are a matter of a block apart. One is Pro Custom, and the other is Master Tech. They both specialize in all manner of RV restoration/paint. Has anyone out there dealt with either of them?

We live about 2-1/2 hrs. north of Elkhart so making a trip down for an inspection and quote is certainly a possibility. We just about own the trailer, so it seems to me that throwing $10k into the exterior and keeping it a few more years might just be worth it. Thoughts?

jbeletti

So I've thrown a bunch of ideas around in my head on what to do about the condition of the exterior of my BH. There are two professional outfits in Elkhart, IN that are a matter of a block apart. One is Pro Custom, and the other is Master Tech. They both specialize in all manner of RV restoration/paint. Has anyone out there dealt with either of them?

We live about 2-1/2 hrs. north of Elkhart so making a trip down for an inspection and quote is certainly a possibility. We just about own the trailer, so it seems to me that throwing $10k into the exterior and keeping it a few more years might just be worth it. Thoughts?
If by "exterior restoration" and "$10k of cost", if you're not already talking about removal of all decals and going with full body paint - you may want to consider it. Cost wise, you might be close.

uncledon

Her chauffeur
If by "exterior restoration" and "$10k of cost", if you're not already talking about removal of all decals and going with full body paint - you may want to consider it. Cost wise, you might be close.

Yes Jim I am talking about removal of all decals and going with either full or partial body paint depending on the cost. The $10k is just a guess. Thx. I have been telling the DW that the next RV WILL be paint, no decals.

carl.swoyer

Mine is a 2012 Landmark Rushmore with full body paint. People think it's brand new. So spend the money.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

Mine is a 2012 Landmark Rushmore with full body paint. People think it's brand new. So spend the money.

8beb177eb2f317e9a2d83196643c5d02.jpg

uncledon

Her chauffeur
Maybe my math is wrong, but seems to me that looking at prices of other BH's of the same model/year, I could sink $10-12K into the exterior and still come out ahead in a year. If by then we decide the floorplan doesn't fit our new "snowbird fulltime wannabe" life that we are going to begin this fall, then I'll have a nice looking, well kept trailer to market for a handsome price. No?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I'd consider full paint. The white fiberglass does yellow slightly over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MCTalley

When we were preparing to go full-time, I stumbled across the RV Dreams website. They've been full-timing for quite a while now. Almost three years ago now (how time flies), they had their older RV painted at Mike's Custom Painting in Bremen, Indiana. Here's their blog article after going to pick up the coach: [LINK].

Based on their recommendation and the results they got (if I remember, their job was just north of $10k), I bookmarked Mike's site for much later down the road. Though our plans of keeping our RV long enough to consider a paint job has fallen through twice now, we think we might have a keeper now. Hopefully, Mike's will still be around in another 6-8 years. :)

uncledon

Her chauffeur
Thanks MCTalley! I have Mike's bookmarked along with the others, so when we get close to pulling the trigger we can have them price it out too. Appreciate the links!

carl.swoyer

If you like your floor plan and your rig is otherwise sound, full body paint is an extremely smart move. You can continue to modify and update without the retail price of a new rig.