ATF: ElkRidge - Scare Light Switch

Buford

How do I turn my scare lights on and off? Where is the switch. They are off now. Bulbs are good. Ground is good. Not receiving power. Works when directly connected to battery. 2011 Elk Ridge 27RLSS.

Last edited:

danemayer

Hi Buford,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. I'm sure another Elkridge owner will chime in with an answer. It would be helpful to know what year and floor plan you have.

Buford

My rig is an Elkridge 27 RLSS (Rear Lounge Super Slide). I do not have a remote. As far as I know everything works from a switch and I do not believe I am missing a remote. There are two toggle switches near exit door jam mounted to kitchen cabinet that operate a step light and the aisle light. Also two toggle switches behind access door in same location that operates interior lights and porch light. Also behind the access door is a switch (regular household toggle light witch) that turns on an exterior receptacle under the awning.

olcoon

We have the same rig & year you've got. In 2011 they didn't have a remote. The switch for the scare light is located in the panel behind the door near your front door. There are 3 stitches located above the indicators for your tank level's, etc. The one you are looking for is the middle switch & labeled "D/S Security". If you turn it on & the light still isn't working you probably need a new switch. Easy replacement.

Buford

Thanks, that is good input; however, I only have two switches there. One for porch light and one for a set of interior lights. Hopefully the scare light wires are behind the panel somewhere and I can install a separate switch. By the way one of the scare lights was working during our first camping trip. I don't know what turned it on nor what turned it off. It will still work when hot wired but haven't been able to turn either light on or off.

olcoon

That's pretty weird! Possibly a mid year change, ours was built on 02-23-10. If you bought your rig used, possibly the previous owner moved the switch, or Heartland changed things around.

olcoon

Feb of 2010, is what is on the sticker. I know that is true, as we were at the factory the last day it was on the line & saw it. With that in mind, possibly they did some changes during the yearly build. I'd start looking for a switch that you haven't used, or don't know what it's for. However I'd think it should be somewhere in the area behind the door where the tank levels are, or somewhere around the front door.

If all else fails you could call the factory @
(574) 262-8030. Have your VIN (on a yellow sticker on the door frame of the front door by the hinge) handy, as they'll ask for it.

Hope this helps...and GOOD LUCK!

Buford

Factory says it was built with a remote. My understanding is the scare lights operate from the remote only. Other functions work from either remote or a switch. So I will work with that. Thanks for all your input. Happy Camping.

Buford

OKAY, we have established the scare lights operate off of a remote that I don't have. Pleasantly surprised to find that the unit has slide, awning, power jacks, stablizers and maybe more operating off the remote. I have been trying to price a remote but don't know what I am buying. Apparently there are different generations and revisions within the generations. I see various remotes that range in price from $60 or so up to $250. Some are digital and some are analog. Some are like a key fob, some are like a cell phone with LCD screen, and some are like a TV remote. I assume remote needs to match receiver. I have located receiver behind a panel in the kitchen cabinets but it is hard to get to for service or to even see it very well.

Factory parts department wasn't sure which remote I needed. They promised to call me back, but haven't yet. Today their phone has a busy tone and has been that way all day.My phone is 912-288-0980