2017 Heartland Cyclone 3611JS HD

Pinoy

Hello,

We recently picked up a 2017 3611JS. WE ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. This is our first 5th wheel, but our 3rd new trailer in 10 months. Expensive lesson to learn! Being new to the TT game, we started off with a Heartland North Trail 24BHS Caliber Edition. For our first trailer it was great. It had everything we wanted and it was a great introduction to glamping and creating life long memories with my family.

My family is made up of 6 people, my wife and I plus our 4 kids, ages 15, 13, 11 and 10. All was well until it got cold and started raining. We were locked inside the trailer and quickly learned we needed more space as we were crammed in there like sardines. The pic below shows the last day we spent in that TT as we traded it in the next day.

We then stepped up to a 2016 Rockwood 8311WS Ultra Series Diamond Edition that was loaded to the hilt! It had all of the amenities our NT 24BHS Caliber had and then some. It added 2 more slides and WAY, WAY more room. We loved this trailer as well and enjoyed many trips with it.

And then we went on our Memorial Day trip to El Gulfo, Mexico. This place is awesome! It's about 1.5hrs south of Yuma, AZ. There are sand dunes to ride in and the warm waters of the Sea of Cortez are a blast to swim in. Everybody out there but us had quads, side by sides, motorcycles and buggies. We found ourselves wishing we too had dirt toys to play with. So on the return trip home speaking with the wife and kids, we knew we wanted to pick up some dirt toys and a toy hauler to bring them in. The problem was my wife did not want to lose any of the luxury that our Rockwood had priovided. So the search was on!

After a whole lot of research, walk throughs at the dealerships, browsing forums etc. We chose the Cyclone 3611JS. We looked at the Raptors, Voltage's and Grand Design's over and over and every single time kept coming back to the 3611JS. There simply is nothing out there at the moment that can touch it. We instantly fell in love with the layout and are so happy with choosing it.

Our TV is a 2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Diesel (short bed 6'4") that has a Pullrite SuperGlide 24K auto sliding hitch and ISR HD mounting kit. I also added air bags to level out the truck when loaded as well as a separate stand alone compressor to fill the tires on the TV back up after deflating them to ride through the sand. The 5th wheel hitch setup allows quick removal of it when not in use and leaves a much cleaner looking bed. We keep a 2017 Yamaha Raptor 700R, 2017 Polaris RZR 170 SXS, and a Yamaha 2011 Raptor 250 in the garage. The newest edition is a 2017 Yamaha Raptor 90 that we also bring in another trailer. (4 kids remember? Nobody likes to wait for their turn to ride! :D ) We are SOOOOO happy with choosing the Cyclone 3611JS. BEST DECISION EVER!!!!

danemayer

Hi Pinoy,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and congratulations on the new Cyclone. Looks like your family is set up for a lot of fun times.

LBR

Nice one....we sat in a 3611 a few times deciding which Cyclone to order ... congrats!

Sarge

Congrats on your family rig - Great choice !!

We also had a deal inked on a 3611JS that went down the drain -

So we grabbed a 362RW which is basically the exact same unit with very minor differences - ENJOY !!

Sarge

U2fletch

Great looking rig! We also looked at a 3611JS, but ended up ordering a 3110 from the factory. If our kids were still at home that extra bathroom would have been the deciding factor.

I need to ask what you guys do when boondocking. Looking at the published cargo capacity of just over 1600lbs, do you travel with your fresh water tank full, or is water available at your destination? The 3110 is quickly maxed out even with my lightweight track bike (CBR600RR) if I choose to carry water to the track. 50 gallons of fuel for the gen/bike and 100 gallons of water leaves 500lbs for motorcycle and everything in the trailer. Makes me wish I had 8k axles instead of 7k axles!

Also, at the time we looked at the 3611JS my available TV was an F250. Running the numbers of the pin weight made me quickly realize the RV would crush my poor truck exceeding the rear axle rating. I found a deal on a used F350 DRW that is much more comfortable with the weight.

Am sure the kids will love your new rig. Wish we had one when our boys rode dirt bikes.

Jeff

avvidclif

Great looking rig! We also looked at a 3611JS, but ended up ordering a 3110 from the factory. If our kids were still at home that extra bathroom would have been the deciding factor.

I need to ask what you guys do when boondocking. Looking at the published cargo capacity of just over 1600lbs, do you travel with your fresh water tank full, or is water available at your destination? The 3110 is quickly maxed out even with my lightweight track bike (CBR600RR) if I choose to carry water to the track. 50 gallons of fuel for the gen/bike and 100 gallons of water leaves 500lbs for motorcycle and everything in the trailer. Makes me wish I had 8k axles instead of 7k axles!

Also, at the time we looked at the 3611JS my available TV was an F250. Running the numbers of the pin weight made me quickly realize the RV would crush my poor truck exceeding the rear axle rating. I found a deal on a used F350 DRW that is much more comfortable with the weight.

Am sure the kids will love your new rig. Wish we had one when our boys rode dirt bikes.

Jeff

I don't know about yours but on mine it shows 1696 lbs carrying capacity WITH THE WATER TANK FULL.

It also shows the weight of the full tank at 905 lbs. Add 1696 and 905 for carrying capacity.

U2fletch

Gotcha,
I was looking at published GVWR (17,000) - Dry weight (15,305) for rig. Comes up with 1695 for capacity. On mine, the sticker gives numbers for how much the water weighs, warning what little that leaves for cargo. Maybe I read it wrong. To me, dry weight means without fluids.

Would be nice if there was a little more wiggle room in there. Hate the idea of cruising around right at the maximum all the time.

Sitting in my garage is my next project for peace of mind.... Disc brake upgrade from www.PerformanceTrailerBraking.com! Saw several of these conversions at the Canton, TX Rally and was sold.

Safe travels!

Jeff

Pinoy

Thank you all for the warm welcome. We absolutely love the new rig and look forward to making life long memories with it. We're gonna play in the dirt this wknd and will finally get a chance to use the fuel station.

I don't know about yours but on mine it shows 1696 lbs carrying capacity WITH THE WATER TANK FULL.

It also shows the weight of the full tank at 905 lbs. Add 1696 and 905 for carrying capacity.

Thank you. This is how I read it as well. Not sure if I'm correct or not. Please advise if otherwise.

Jeff

The 2nd bathroom was a huge bonus for us. With 6 of us total (sometimes 8) in the rig, it comes in really handy. I love the convenience of it and how my kids won't drag dirt all through the coach to get to a bathroom. We're learning so many things along the way. Bringing a blower to clean up the garage being one of them. :)

Congrats on your family rig - Great choice !!

We also had a deal inked on a 3611JS that went down the drain -

So we grabbed a 362RW which is basically the exact same unit with very minor differences - ENJOY !!

Sarge

Thanks Sarge. I didn't know about the Road Warrior line. Our dealer only sells Cyclones and North Trails from the Heartland lineup. But as you said, your 362RW is basically the same thing. GREAT CHOICE!!! The slide within a slide is the best feature IMHO and is what ultimately sold us (read my wife) to upgrade. The extra room is a huge plus and welcomed.

Nice one....we sat in a 3611 a few times deciding which Cyclone to order ... congrats!
Thank you!
Nice!! Congrats!!
Thank You
Hi Pinoy,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and congratulations on the new Cyclone. Looks like your family is set up for a lot of fun times.
Thanks danemayer! We most definitely are and look forward to doing so.

U2fletch

Rats! I thought maybe I had misread my sticker. Nope. My 2017 Cyclone 3110 clearly states that the cargo capacity as 936lbs with the water tanks full. That matches the numbers for the published GVWR minus the actual dry weight of the rig.

Cyclone_Ratings.jpg

Jeff

Pinoy

Jeff

All of the places we've gone, go, or plan to are full hookups or have available water to fill the fresh water tank when arriving. The toys are actually only in the garage when going to a destination specifically for playing in the dirt and even then only if it's for an overnight trip. Otherwise I will load 3 toys in my ATV trailer and throw the 4th one in the bed of the truck. If we're just going out to camp, they stay at home. So, I'm aware of the weight but not really too concerned as I tow dry.

Nice bike btw! We currently have 4 in the garage at this moment, '13 Triumph Street Triple R (me bike) My favorite bike of all time. It's used purely for pleasure riding the many Canyons we have here in SoCal, '15 BMW R1200RT (we bike), '16 BMW R1200R and '17 BMW R1200GS. I'm lusting after the new '17 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory, but the wife says I have to either build another garage or get rid of a bike. :( LOL. So I guess I'll be needing a contractor. :)

Pic of my pops posing with the R and GS.

- - - Updated - - -

Rats! I thought maybe I had misread my sticker. Nope. My 2017 Cyclone 3110 clearly states that the cargo capacity as 936lbs with the water tanks full. That matches the numbers for the published GVWR minus the actual dry weight of the rig.

View attachment 48027

Jeff

Good to know. Thanks for the heads up. I'll check mine when I get home.

rocrider50

Did a final walk around on a 3611 days before purchasing and my payload remaining dry was 1492. My 2 Harleys weigh 1800. Passed on it and bought a 3800 which had 4560 of available payload. Love the 3611 but payload is too low.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Ken, the only issue you might have is the pin weight. A rough figure is 20% of 17K is 3400#'s and that can vary depending on people, fuel, and stuff in the bed of the truck. You might check your owners manual and see what it says for the rear axle weight rating.

alwaysbusy

Pinoy, congrats on your new rig. It will bring you many days of happiness with fond memories. As a family of atv'ers ourselves, clearly you do not suffer from a hernia with a RZR in sideways like that. LOL It begs the question, how do you do dat?

Sarge

Pinoy, congrats on your new rig. It will bring you many days of happiness with fond memories. As a family of atv'ers ourselves, clearly you do not suffer from a hernia with a RZR in sideways like that. LOL It begs the question, how do you do dat?

I use a compact floor jack to move my wife's CanAm Spyder over so my Indian will fit....

Sarge

Pinoy

Thanks so much. We're really looking forward to building those memories. The trick is sliding the SXS, vs lifting it. It still requires effort, but not as much. A small floor jack is a great idea!

Hogladyrider

Congratulations on your 3611JS!

We also have a 3611JS and we live fulltime in it. We carry our Goldwing in the garage when traveling otherwise the garage is extra living space.

Prior to owning this toy hauler we had two 5th wheels, both Big Horns by Heartland. We loved them but we had no means to legally tow our motorcycle.

Our 3611JS is not the HD edition, basic, which is what we wanted. We do enjoy the rear patio when the air conditioner is not being used.

Best of luck with your new RV and hoping you will have MANY years of family memories with your Cyclone.

Susan

Sarge

Thanks so much. We're really looking forward to building those memories. The trick is sliding the SXS, vs lifting it. It still requires effort, but not as much. A small floor jack is a great idea!

Found the smaller compact floor jack on sale at Harbor Freight for $29....

Sarge

Pinoy

Congratulations on your 3611JS!

We also have a 3611JS and we live fulltime in it. We carry our Goldwing in the garage when traveling otherwise the garage is extra living space.

Prior to owning this toy hauler we had two 5th wheels, both Big Horns by Heartland. We loved them but we had no means to legally tow our motorcycle.

Our 3611JS is not the HD edition, basic, which is what we wanted. We do enjoy the rear patio when the air conditioner is not being used.

Best of luck with your new RV and hoping you will have MANY years of family memories with your Cyclone.

Susan

Thank You Susan! We appreciate it. We love this TH so much. My family and I did our first Off road ATV trip this wknd and had the greatest time! We setup the BBQ grill on the patio and had shade for most of the grilling. So convenient, so awesome. We learned so many things this wknd. 1) 100 gallons of water is PLENTY for 8 people on a wknd trip. 2) 20 Gal of fuel for the generator will run 2 A/C's non stop for 30+ hrs 3) 30 gallons of fuel for the toys will last us a wk. These quads and SXS are so efficient! 4) The rear bathroom is a god send. Tracking in dirt into the garage vs the coach is the way to go. It makes cleanup so much easier. 5) EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE and their dogs will want a tour of the coach! :)

We too like to ride and my wife and I plan to take our "WE" bike ('15 BMW R1200RT) on trips as well. I've done searches on the web and found several great examples on how to load/secure the bikes. My concern is drilling through the floor. The deck in the garage of our 3611 is heated. Any ideas on where the heat strips are and where to and not to drill? Could you post some pics of your setup? Thanks in advance for your help and thanks again for the warm welcome.

Below is a pic of our adventure this wknd.

Thanks!

Ken