ATF: Edge - what is this stuff that seems to be coming out of the ceiling on the bed and into the holds

tybecca

Hello. We have discovered a weird white substance that appears to be coming from the ceiling above the bed and in the closets and in the corners of the cargo holds. It looks like a very tiny, Styrofoam like stuff, kinda .... well, we don't know what it is, but we are concerned that someone or something is eating away at the ceiling and walls. We see no insects and there are no visible holes around where it coming out. But there is a roof vent and there is a closet rod. In the corners of the holds, there is only floor and structure beams. I'm adding a couple of photos. Has anyone had this and any idea what it is and how to make it stop? Thanks in advance.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello. We have discovered a weird white substance that appears to be coming from the ceiling above the bed and in the closets and in the corners of the cargo holds. It looks like a very tiny, Styrofoam like stuff, kinda .... well, we don't know what it is, but we are concerned that someone or something is eating away at the ceiling and walls. We see no insects and there are no visible holes around where it coming out. But there is a roof vent and there is a closet rod. In the corners of the holds, there is only floor and structure beams. I'm adding a couple of photos. Has anyone had this and any idea what it is and how to make it stop? Thanks in advance.

here are a couple of photos. The red basket is in the bottom of the closet and some of it on the mattress cover.

Attachments

• 2016-10-04 16.41.30.jpg
    2016-10-04 16.41.30.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 2016-10-04 16.42.54.jpg
    2016-10-04 16.42.54.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 64

tybecca

It does look like styrofoam, I bet ants are nesting in it and chewing it up.

Thanks for responding. That crossed my mind...but next question might be how to eradicate them if they are in the walls? Any ideas? I was hoping it might be something else that could explain it...lol. Thanks again.

Crumgater

Cinnamon is the ant's worst enemy!
It messes with their ability to communicate with each other.

We acquired some sugar ants last year... not sure where.
We thought they were gone after the winter (no food in the RV), but after leaving some sugary syrup on the counter... we found out they were back.

I use a small (2oz) spray bottle filled with filtered water and 10-15 drops of cinnamon leaf essential oil. Shake it up, spray all over - in/under/over cabinets and anywhere you see signs of them. You can also shake cinnamon powder all over, but that might get messy. :)

Since doing that, our ants have been absent...
I also plan on putting out some sugar water mixed with borax powder, as a backup. The ants will eat the mix and take it back to feed to the queen. The borax will then kill them there.

Here's some interesting info on the borax methods: http://thegardeningcook.com/testing-borax-ant-killer-remedies/

sengli

Our coach is going on four years old, and everytime we move it or turn on the air...we get a shower of foam balls, and saw dust. As for the dark stuff, guess it might be ants. Luckily we havent had that issue. We get the foam balls just about from every air outlet from front to back.