ATF: Bighorn - Generator Installation

RenoJim

We recently purchased a 2017 3760EL which did not come Generator Prepped. I have 3 questions:
1. If we were to bring our Bighorn to the factory would you install an Onan Generator in it?
2. If the answer is yes, can you give me a cost?
3. If the answer is no, what size Onan Generator is required for our Bighorn model and is there anyone in the Reno, NV region that you would recommend?
Thank you in advance, we have been RVing for over 40-years and we love our new toy!!!

Garypowell

You will need to call the factory directly.....ask for service. They do not monitor this site reliably.

It it seems to me I hear a lot about the factory fixing units not modifying them......not saying they won't you just need to ask them directly.

RenoJim

You will need to call the factory directly.....ask for service. They do not monitor this site reliably.

It it seems to me I hear a lot about the factory fixing units not modifying them......not saying they won't you just need to ask them directly.

Thank you Gary I will follow-up with the Factory Service dept

BusManRG

We recently purchased a 2017 3760EL which did not come Generator Prepped. I have 3 questions:
1. If we were to bring our Bighorn to the factory would you install an Onan Generator in it?
2. If the answer is yes, can you give me a cost?
3. If the answer is no, what size Onan Generator is required for our Bighorn model and is there anyone in the Reno, NV region that you would recommend?
Thank you in advance, we have been RVing for over 40-years and we love our new toy!!!
Have you talked to your dealer about adding the generator? We ordered our BH with the gen, but I believe they can be added. We purchased from Happy Daze in Sacramento. Just a couple of hours from you. I'd get a quite from their service department.
Sandy

Alan_B

We are planning to do the same thing. Our Bighorn did not come with the factory gen prep. As we are close to Elkhart IN I was going to use the Onan Cummins dealer there. They have lots of experience putting generators in fifth wheels.

esscobra

I ordered the gen prep but installed the gen myself- a 7k onan efi model- the gen prep is a metal enclosure - riser mount and the transfer switch and the control panel inside -
I can tell you from experience that even in june in texas 95-100 direct sun inside nascar track - I can run both a/cs on hi - 2 tvs/sat rec, roof mounted sat , wireless routers, 2 laptops, microwave, crockpot w/o any issues- primarily the only reason I got gen prep was for the control panel to already be mounted and wired inside-

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 180
  • ex2.jpg
    ex2.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 169
  • ex1.jpg
    ex1.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_7928.jpg
    IMG_7928.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 158

Mark-Roberta 051995

I ordered the gen prep but installed the gen myself- a 7k onan efi model- the gen prep is a metal enclosure - riser mount and the transfer switch and the control panel inside -
I can tell you from experience that even in june in texas 95-100 direct sun inside nascar track - I can run both a/cs on hi - 2 tvs/sat rec, roof mounted sat , wireless routers, 2 laptops, microwave, crockpot w/o any issues- primarily the only reason I got gen prep was for the control panel to already be mounted and wired inside-

Very nice setup - I like the idea of the gas (EFI) vs. propane. More efficient I would say - yes? I know you have a BH - but where is the fuel tank located at?

Mark

esscobra

ultimately plan is to install large tank behind drop fram and in front of wheels- but for now I ordered from factory the 40lb propane option and only keep 1 propane tank and put fuel tank on door side in propane compartment- use at nascar and drag race event for 4-5 days constantly- I use oven and stove every trip and am still on 1st 40lb tank. we will see this winter how it goes but I also ordered the heat pump option on both a/c units- only used 1 time so far when I picked up trailer beginning of march and the heat pumps well and furnace worked also . but really only stove and oven and outside grill are only things that us propane and I have residential fridge with the 7k I can run both a/c units on high - microwave, lights , sat, tvs etc without any issues even in 100 direct sun in middle of texas motor speedway

Attachments

• nasapr4.jpg
    nasapr4.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 141
  • ex4.jpg
    ex4.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_7928.jpg
    IMG_7928.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 140

Paradise2

ultimately plan is to install large tank behind drop fram and in front of wheels- but for now I ordered from factory the 40lb propane option and only keep 1 propane tank and put fuel tank on door side in propane compartment- use at nascar and drag race event for 4-5 days constantly- I use oven and stove every trip and am still on 1st 40lb tank. we will see this winter how it goes but I also ordered the heat pump option on both a/c units- only used 1 time so far when I picked up trailer beginning of march and the heat pumps well and furnace worked also . but really only stove and oven and outside grill are only things that us propane and I have residential fridge with the 7k I can run both a/c units on high - microwave, lights , sat, tvs etc without any issues even in 100 direct sun in middle of texas motor speedway

How large is your fuel tank....which do you prefer....fuel or propane....right now we have two 40lb propanes in our Bighorn.

esscobra

it is a 14gal tank fit in place of propane tank no problem, can fill from 5 gal jugs easily and from gas pumps- so have not run from full to empty to see how long it runs on 14 gal - usually put 5gal in morning and 5 before going to bed- and never have issues - in june I know it ran at least 15hrs before running empty but I don't know how full tank was to begin with - have not installed the fuel gauge yet- will be among other projects once it cools off- running wires in belly to inside in 100 heat can wait. almost always running both a/cs.

as for preference- propane as less btu tan gasoline, and onan states that the propane units are 15-18% less power output in same models- and will use more propane vs gas for same load.
on top of that - gas is always easier get than propane -
we go to nascar/indy race 3 times a year, and lots of no prep dag races at smaller tracks in small towns an don't always know where a place to get propane filled-
can fill tank without shutting down - so no elec surge/restart o appliances and tv/sat receivers
easier to store and transport empty gas jugs-
I also have a small Honda for backup-emergency from previous trailer- and so the gas is good there too

right now gas is cheaper fill up than propane as well

and with gas you can get a 7kunit wit fuel injection- same set up they put in the commercial rigs- work trucks- and even with buying tank an fuel pump was only 400 more than propane or carbed unit- and have more than enough power

avvidclif

If anyone is in the market I saw this on rvnetwork FS ads.

Bought a diesel gen set for my truck and am selling my Onan 6500 LP generator as I no longer need it.

bought new with my 5er in 2015, has 131 hours on it, with exhaust pipe, runs my 5er with 3 A/C units no problem, just not my 220 dryer, so the reason for the new unit.

Price is $2,500.00 firm

Located in Wichita, Ks

Model 6.5HGJAB-904J

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader

Can you get the efi in propane? I have it on my race trailer. By efi you do mean it gears down once the gen is running. on mine it idles down a lot when you flip the switch.

TexasTraveler2017

If anyone is in the market I saw this on rvnetwork FS ads.

Bought a diesel gen set for my truck and am selling my Onan 6500 LP generator as I no longer need it.

bought new with my 5er in 2015, has 131 hours on it, with exhaust pipe, runs my 5er with 3 A/C units no problem, just not my 220 dryer, so the reason for the new unit.

Price is $2,500.00 firm

Located in Wichita, Ks

Model 6.5HGJAB-904J

I owe you a thank you! Thanks to you posting this I got a great deal on a generator that is in great shape. I was able to pick it up on my way from Indiana back to Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCooper

Does anyone have a few photos of the bottom side of an installed generator?? we want to install a 7000 Marquis in our unit that has no factory prep.
Thank you in advance for any help.

The Coopers

esscobra

the floor should have 2 rectangular cutouts in shape of L - this is for intake and exhaust - most I have seen have these semi-punched ready to be knocked out- also prep has risers and box along with transfer switch