Electric Brakes

It was mentioned at the NM Rally earlier this month that you get a much better and cleaner disc brake install by crews that that is all they do, vs. from the factory where you never know who might be working that line the day your trailer rolls through.

With high employment turnover in the factory, this could be a major issue.

2017 Big Horn -- We had electric over hydraulic brakes and wet bolts installed after the NW Rally in Canyonville, OR. Didn't get to try them until just recently --- LOVE THEM. Best investment in safety I could have made.

BigGuy82

2017 Big Horn -- We had electric over hydraulic brakes and wet bolts installed after the NW Rally in Canyonville, OR. Didn't get to try them until just recently --- LOVE THEM. Best investment in safety I could have made.

I bought the disc brake upgrade kit and wet bolts from Ron Russell. I did the job myself - not difficult if you have the tools, the time and the mechanical ability. If you don't have all of these, pay the extra $1,000 to have Ron's install team come to you and install the brakes. Do they do a better job than the factory? Who knows, but given the level of talent working in these factories, I'd go with Ron's guys any day - I've read a lot of positive comments about them. If you need an indicator of the level of factory "craftsmanship" in your coach, just examine the wiring carefully.

Whichever way you go, there is absolutely no doubt that disc brakes are superior in every concievable way to electric drum brakes. The only area where drums prevail is price, and considering it could possibly mean your life ....

PS: Ron Russell - https://www.performancetrailerbraking.com

CoveredWagon

When we ordered our Bighorn in January of 2017, disc brakes were not an option. Stopping was marginal/sufficient I guess. IBC was set to 10 but would not lock the brakes. I had Mor/Ryde install disc brakes in Elkhart before we hit the road to FL through the hills. What a difference. 6.5 to 7 on the IBC now applies the brakes as it should. Nice thing about the install at Mor/Ryde is they that install the hydraulic pump in the generator compartment out of the elements, very clean installation.
I had the opportunity to test the brakes shortly after we left the factory. Someone decided to pull a panic stop in front of us on a two lane road. I’m not sure how well the drum brakes would have performed, the disc brakes saved the day.

TexasTraveler2017

When we ordered our Bighorn in January of 2017, disc brakes were not an option. Stopping was marginal/sufficient I guess. IBC was set to 10 but would not lock the brakes. I had Mor/Ryde install disc brakes in Elkhart before we hit the road to FL through the hills. What a difference. 6.5 to 7 on the IBC now applies the brakes as it should. Nice thing about the install at Mor/Ryde is they that install the hydraulic pump in the generator compartment out of the elements, very clean installation.
I had the opportunity to test the brakes shortly after we left the factory. Someone decided to pull a panic stop in front of us on a two lane road. I’m not sure how well the drum brakes would have performed, the disc brakes saved the day.

I had the same opportunity to test it out when I left MORryde on Friday afternoon. A car stopped right In front of me just a block or 2 from their facility and it definitely was nice feeling the trailer stopping me instead of pushing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk