Need some assistance locating the water heater bypass valve for an Oakmont 392RD

I have looked everywhere and it is a mystery. Can anyone point me in the right direction. A picture of the location would help. Thanks.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Note where the water heater is located in relation to your interior. The bypass is probably either behind the water heater in the area behind your cargo bay (remove the cargo bay wall to see) OR it could be inside behind a semi-hidden panel (usually accessible via a few screws).

I found the valves. There is panel on the driver side basement access. The panel abuts to the UDC. About six screws to take off. You can see the valves behind the hotwater tank. It is not a user friendly location to access.

Well, guess I am going to the nearest camping store or Lowe's and get me a portable air compressor. It will be easier to blow the lines out than use gallons of anti-freeze. Thanks for the help.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Once you blow out the lines, it only takes 2-3 gallons of antifreeze to winterize. Even with two kitchens, two bathrooms and nearly 40 feet of plumbing to go through, it's still just takes 3 gallons for us.

Gary521

Use antifreeze. It only costs $2-$3 per gallon at Walmart. Just blowing out the line may leave some water in the pump filter and elsewhere. You also need to put antifreeze in the traps.

Rollin_Free

Once you blow out the lines, it only takes 2-3 gallons of antifreeze to winterize. Even with two kitchens, two bathrooms and nearly 40 feet of plumbing to go through, it's still just takes 3 gallons for us.

I assume you open the low drain as well when you blow out the lines. If you forget to close those you could go through 1-2 extra gallons before you realize they were left open. It's amazing how fast that pump can push water. Anyway not wanting to say it happened to me but unfortunately it did and I was glad nobody was looking.

I don't use a compressor I just open the low point drains and all the faucets. When water stops flowing from the low point drains close all the faucets and the low point drains then add antifreeze using the on-board pump. It should take approximately 2-3 gallons to fill all the lines, faucets, and toilet. BTW: Make sure you pull the water heater drain plug to remove the water from it as well but don't put antifreeze in it.

On somewhat of a side note does RV antifreeze have an expiration date. I usually buy it after the winterization rush ends and some of my stock has changed color. Instead of bright pink it has a kinda pale darker red color.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I assume you open the low drain as well when you blow out the lines. If you forget to close those you could go through 1-2 extra gallons before you realize they were left open. It's amazing how fast that pump can push water. Anyway not wanting to say it happened to me but unfortunately it did and I was glad nobody was looking.

I don't use a compressor I just open the low point drains and all the faucets. When water stops flowing from the low point drains close all the faucets and the low point drains then add antifreeze using the on-board pump. It should take approximately 2-3 gallons to fill all the lines, faucets, and toilet. BTW: Make sure you pull the water heater drain plug to remove the water from it as well but don't put antifreeze in it.

On somewhat of a side note does RV antifreeze have an expiration date. I usually buy it after the winterization rush ends and some of my stock has changed color. Instead of bright pink it has a kinda pale darker red color.

If no one saw a gallon of anti-freeze hit the ground, did it really happen???........

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I no longer use RV antifreeze in the whole system, bit blow out all of the lines with air, then run a little antifreeze into the water pump, then put some in all of the P-traps and some in the toilet bowl.

There is a little fitting you can buy at Camping World or in the RV section at Walmart for blowing out the water lines.

Oh yeah . . . don't forget about the outside shower!