Underbed "puck" mount system

MP_CS

Thinking about upgrading my TV as my local Ford dealer has some pretty good deals on there '16 leftover superdutys.. One in particular has really caught my eye and has everything i want except the ford factory fifth wheel pucks.. You guys out there that have the oem system or the reese underbed system, what are the pro's/con's of the system and is it worth spending the extra $ on or not?.. I can get the reese under bed "puck" custom kit for the truck (F350 SRW) from etrailer for under $500 but then I'll need the adapter so i can use my conventional reese slider wich is another $300 so all total to make my current hitch work with the "puck" system it will cost me pushing a grand, thats if i decide to install it. I can get the reese conventional custom kit with above the bed railes for under $400, so i guess i am wondering if its worth the extra$$$?

MP_CS

Oh I'm gonna bring that up. Looking for opinions on pro/cons if any or people's personal experience with them.. thanks

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Personally, the gooseneck application is the only benefit I would seen as a gain by adding the aftermarket under bed system. The puck system is great if you have a hitch that attaches directly. (No adapter). But if your paying $$ for the puck system and then paying $$ for the adapter, that's a lot of $$$$. If you like your hitch you currently have, save some money and just get the rail kit. I'm sure someone will chime in on other opinions of each set up.

My RAM came with the puck system and I purchased the Reese adapter.
53w6lg.jpg

Took quite awhile to adjust the tolerances to my liking. But it seems to work ok. Anytime you add another attachment point, you also get another place for movement. Sometimes I can hear some cluncking. I have about 3k miles on this set up.

Oregon_Camper

I love the puck setup on our 2016 F-350. I can take out our Reese hitch about 4 mins....really! Putting it back in take about 5 mins (extra minute to align connectors)

Makes recovering the area in the bed of the truck a snap.

MP_CS

I think about the biggest pro to the puck system is the space it free's up in your bed. The having the railsin the bed have never really been an issue in the past. I think for the significant price differance unless the dealer is willing to install the oem puck system I'll just install the reese custom brackets and above the bed rails like i currently have.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Also, if hitch height is an issue. The adapter will add an additional 2" of height. It is a concern of ours because the Flex Air pin pox hangs low.

MP_CS

Also, if hitch height is an issue. The adapter will add an additional 2" of height. It is a concern of ours because the Flex Air pin pox hangs low.

Hitch height might be an issue. I didn't think the adapter would take up quite that much room, i figured about the same as the traditional rails would. My current hitch is almost on the lowest setting and as the truck I'm looking at is going to be a F350 i assume I'm gonna have to drop it one more notch anyway and thats all thats left, guess my best bet is to just stick with a traditional setup.

ram_1955

I have Ford OEM and love it. When the hitch is removed you have a smooth bed. Now when I bought the truck I ordered it with the OEM pucks and I had to purchase a hitch anyways as I did not have a fifth wheel.
I don't think the OEM can be added after the truck is built as the bed has holes and sits on top of the rails under the bed.

Jim.Allison

Just took delivery on my 2017 Ram 3500 6.7. They threw in the OEM under bed mount adaptor. I love it.

But recently a member inquired about using the gooseneck portion of the OEM puck mount system utilizing the Goose Box. This has me thinking if I would have gone that way in the beginning if I had it to do over again.

I was impressed with the RAM system because the adaptor slipped right in and required no adjustment.

MP_CS

I have Ford OEM and love it. When the hitch is removed you have a smooth bed. Now when I bought the truck I ordered it with the OEM pucks and I had to purchase a hitch anyways as I did not have a fifth wheel.
I don't think the OEM can be added after the truck is built as the bed has holes and sits on top of the rails under the bed.

Correct the OEM system can't be added after the fact, the only other way to get the puck system is to buy the aftermarket reese underbed mount system which is essentially the same, but alot more $... I just dont think its worth the added expense the more i think about, yes it would be nice not having the rails in the bed but its never really been an issue in the past for me so why spend the extra $..

SNOKING

I added the factory puck to my 2015 3500 RAM. Took about 4 hours to raise the bed one side at a time, place the pucks in the frame brackets and bolt them down. This included installing an in bed 7 pin trailer outlet and cutting the four large holes in the bed. If I would have had a helper it would have gone much faster.

I am surprised that the same thing can not be done with a Ford, so a light googling turned up this.

https://accessories.ford.com/5th-wheel-gooseneck-hitch-prep-package.html

Looks like bed may have to be lifted to install, but doable.

More details.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1080542-5th-wheel-prep-and-5th-wheel-with-gooseneck.html

Chris

MP_CS

Thanks for that info snoking, I didn't think the factory kit could be added after the fact.. i think I'm going with a standard reese custom install kit as its under $300 shipped to me. Not having rails in the bed is of no real significance to me. First I've got to make the deal ans see if there will be any problems installing the hitch in a lease. If so i wont be taking it anyways.

farside291

We're taking delivery of our new 2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 and we're waiting for the dealer to install rails in the bed for my Reese Titan. Cost - $360.00. Dealer would not throw it in. Trust me I tried.

pday1213

We have the factory installed towing package with pucks in the bed of our Ford. Using a B&W OEM Ford hitch and it is a breeze to take in and out and be able to use the truck bed. The hitch is rated for up to 20k and 5k hitch weights.

Attachments

• IMG_0824.jpg
    IMG_0824.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0826.jpg
    IMG_0826.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 52

Aandaar

We have the factory installed towing package with pucks in the bed of our Ford. Using a B&W OEM Ford hitch and it is a breeze to take in and out and be able to use the truck bed. The hitch is rated for up to 20k and 5k hitch weights.

How heavy is that hitch. Can it be removed without a hoist?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuck, Victoria, and Miss Callie

MP_CS

How heavy is that hitch. Can it be removed without a hoist?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuck, Victoria, and Miss Callie

my understanding is the b&w hitch comes apart and is to be removed in two pieces, the plate then the base and is very manageable by yourself.

IronJ

X2 (×4??) On the B&W with ford pucks...my wife can even take it apart and out (but I wouldn't say it's "light")

I have the after market turnover on my srw and the factory pucks on my dually..

The factory assembly is way lighter than the turnover

I can literally have it out of the truck in 3min flat if not faster if I was in a hurry....lol

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish