Garmin RV660 Reviews??

Skywrench

Full Timer
Is anyone using the Garmin RV660? I'm looking to purchase a big truck or RV specific GPS and have decided on Garmin. Looking on Amazon for reviews and prices I see that the RV760 is still for sale and gets good reviews. I like the idea of a 7" screen too.

The RV660 does not get many good reviews on Amazon but there are only 19 reviews so far. Just looking for input from folks that have first hand experience with the RV660.

Piperflyer

Is anyone using the Garmin RV660? I'm looking to purchase a big truck or RV specific GPS and have decided on Garmin. Looking on Amazon for reviews and prices I see that the RV760 is still for sale and gets good reviews. I like the idea of a 7" screen too.

The RV660 does not get many good reviews on Amazon but there are only 19 reviews so far. Just looking for input from folks that have first hand experience with the RV660.

I have been using the 660 for the past 6 months and it has worked for me.
Pro's: We have been through 26 states and I found that its data base covers just about every road we have been on. It is really accurate when telling you speed limits, gas stations, etc. It's search options are good when you don't know an address. It works great when there is a traffic delay up a head, warning you to take another way. It will tell you well in advance if there is a clearance you will not make with your rv ahead.
Cons: It will try and put you on a road that isn't meant for RV's, e.g.. It was trying to turn me around to get back to a specific spot yesterday and it wanted me to take a old dirt road to get there. Sometimes you wonder after you miss a waypoint, why it takes you so much out of the way to get back to it and not a more direct route.
Would I buy it again after using it? Definitely, it has worked for me...

Skywrench

Full Timer
Thanks for the replays. As far as the weird routing that happens sometimes, I think all the GPS systems do this to some extent. My tow vehicle has built in GPS and it does just fine till you get to a town or city where it will suddenly want to take you off of the main route and through a bunch of side streets and subdivisions.

Lynn1130

I have had Garmin GPS's for driving and hunting for years and swear by them, HOWEVER you need to check your route on Google or a paper map before taking off with the GPS guiding you. They can and most likely will take you places you do not want to go. When I punch something into the GPS my wife is checking the route with an atlas. Trusting a GPS got us into a neighborhood in New Orleans that made me wish I had brought a gun with me.