ATF: North Trail - Hot Wire for Backup/Observation Camera

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
Is there a hot wire for a camera system wired into the back wall of the 2016 30RKDDD? I have read where other trailers have one, but not sure if it is a factory option or if it is a capped pigtail?

richheck

Seasoned Member
I tapped into my rear overhead clearance/running lights. I know you need to have your headlights on to use this power source but that's how I run anyways, I feel it is safer for me and my family. This also eliminates the issue of turning the camera on and off SMS leaving the camera on when not being used.

Apropdoc

I tapped into my rear overhead clearance/running lights. I know you need to have your headlights on to use this power source but that's how I run anyways, I feel it is safer for me and my family. This also eliminates the issue of turning the camera on and off SMS leaving the camera on when not being used.

Were you able to readily distinguish between the + and - wires between the running lamps, or did you need to shoot the wires?

wdk450

I tried the clearance light method, but found that on my rig the lights at the rear of the trailer were only getting about 8 volts, and the camera wouldn't work on this. I changed out the stop/tail lights to LED versions along with all of the clearance lights, and even the license plate light bulb. I then had 12 volts at the top rear clearance lights for the camera, but ended up putting in a wired camera system, with the camera getting power with the rest of the system from the 12 volt accessory power outlet in the center console of the truck.

LEDs use about 1/10th the current of incandescent lamps.

Gaffer

I tried the clearance light method, but found that on my rig the lights at the rear of the trailer were only getting about 8 volts, and the camera wouldn't work on this. I changed out the stop/tail lights to LED versions along with all of the clearance lights, and even the license plate light bulb. I then had 12 volts at the top rear clearance lights for the camera, but ended up putting in a wired camera system, with the camera getting power with the rest of the system from the 12 volt accessory power outlet in the center console of the truck.

LEDs use about 1/10th the current of incandescent lamps.
Hey Bill, what did you use for a camera?

richheck

Seasoned Member
Hey Bill, what did you use for a camera?

My coach came with LED lights so the power was not an issue, I ordered the

"Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL Wireless High-Speed RV Observation System with Mounting Bracket" from Amazon for around $300.00. My coach was prewired from the factory for this system but it was a constant hot wire and I didn't want the camera always on as I mentioned above, so that is why I tapped into the overhead clearance lighting.

Rich

Apropdoc

My coach came with LED lights so the power was not an issue, I ordered the

"Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL Wireless High-Speed RV Observation System with Mounting Bracket" from Amazon for around $300.00.

Rich

That is the system that I have coming (also from Amazon). How do you like it? I got it just to have a good idea of lane change clearance and if there are any parasites "drafting" the trailer...is it adequate for that?

SNOKING

Our 2017 BH3575el was pre-wired with a hot 12V lead from the off door side sconce light on rear wall. I installed a switch in the light to control the camera power. Chris

richheck

Seasoned Member
That is the system that I have coming (also from Amazon). How do you like it? I got it just to have a good idea of lane change clearance and if there are any parasites "drafting" the trailer...is it adequate for that?

I have been very pleased with this unit. Picture is very clear, have had no dropouts or interference issues. Super easy install, basically plug and play. Hardest issue was finding where to place receiver in truck cab that allowed easy visibility without blocking driving vision.

Rich

Apropdoc

I have been very pleased with this unit. Picture is very clear, have had no dropouts or interference issues. Super easy install, basically plug and play. Hardest issue was finding where to place receiver in truck cab that allowed easy visibility without blocking driving vision.

Rich

Thanks Rich

Apropdoc

This is kind of late, but camera install went without any problems. I picked up power from the center marker light and mounted the camera above it. After replacing all incandescent bulbs with LEDs, I had a safe amount of juice to power the camera. I only had one instance of signal degradation and that was when I passed the runway end of the local airport.

Attachments

• 30RKDD Furrion Camera.jpg
    30RKDD Furrion Camera.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 56

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Rory:

Nice job! The camera looks great, Are you able to flip it on when driving down the road or just in the reverse mode?
My 16 Ram has two camera's and they both work when driving, but obviously it doesn't do me any good when towing..I am considering a back up camera for the Sundance.

Apropdoc

Rory:

Nice job! The camera looks great, Are you able to flip it on when driving down the road or just in the reverse mode?
My 16 Ram has two camera's and they both work when driving, but obviously it doesn't do me any good when towing..I am considering a back up camera for the Sundance.

Garry, since I plumbed into the marker lights, the camera is on whenever the lights are on. I have the lights on when I tow anyway, so it works out perfectly. This system is Wi-Fi, and if your trailer is mostly fiberglass construction (not aluminum skin) then it would work good for you. I like knowing when it is clear to change lanes or if someone is drafting my trailer (slows me down).

I just added a Furion FOS48TAPK-BL rear observation camera system to my new Trail Runner 27RKS and the installation and set-up took maybe 10 minutes. It came pre-wired and the power was tied to the running light system so it only has power when the running lights are on. I installed the camera, plugged in my truck, plugged in the monitor and when it powered up it was already paired to the camera. Easiest install of any electrical item I've ever experienced. Can't wait to get it on the road to try it out!

[h=1][/h]

Apropdoc

I just added a Furion FOS48TAPK-BL rear observation camera system to my new Trail Runner 27RKS and the installation and set-up took maybe 10 minutes. It came pre-wired and the power was tied to the running light system so it only has power when the running lights are on. I installed the camera, plugged in my truck, plugged in the monitor and when it powered up it was already paired to the camera. Easiest install of any electrical item I've ever experienced. Can't wait to get it on the road to try it out!

It is the next best thing to sliced bread!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
It is the next best thing to sliced bread!

It really is! Should be standard equipment for buying a trailer, it makes lane changes and highway merges so much easier, and of course backing, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kdepu

Hello fellow Heartland Northtrail owners ..

Were currently out on our first trip in our new rig a 33BKSS that came with the bracket mounted and pre wired so I bought the furrion back up camera but didnt have time to install at home .. So i brought it out and got it installed the other day. Easy install except for a good bit of extra cable i had to wind up inside and under the camera.

My problem is how is it powered? .. It did work off but not on the trailer ... Thinking it was wired into the 12v line of the truck and i know that works so there must be a problem on the trailer.

After reading this post i decided to plug it in and try it with the lights on and low and behold .. Works like a champ!

Thank you for mentioning tying it into the lights .. Worth a try!

KDEPU

2015 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 6.2l. 8 speed 4x4
2018 Northtrail 33BKSS