Looking to add aux fuel tank and tonneau covers

dwpkdavis

I'm looking for recommendations on adding an auxiliary fuel tank toolbox combo to my GMC 3500 Dually. What combinations work best for full-timing? I'm also considering adding a tonneau cover. Any recommendations?

"Hi-Viz" Bill

I recently installed a 50 gal "Transfer Flow" aux tank in my new '16 GMC Denali Dually & Love it!! It's a little pricey, ( $1500 installed ) but works great & am told it's the "Cadillac" of aux tanks !!

Also, put a roll-up tonneau cover on it and it covers the tank nicely when not towing !!

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Darren, I don't know if you have noticed my setup, but I have a DeeZee 40 gal tank in the bed. (no toolbox) I use a plastic toolbox in front of my tank that I lock with a padlock. I have the Access Rollup Tonneau. It works great and the tank height does not interfere with the cover.

I'm looking for recommendations on adding an auxiliary fuel tank toolbox combo to my GMC 3500 Dually. What combinations work best for full-timing? I'm also considering adding a tonneau cover. Any recommendations?

MTPockets

I have the 50 gal TransferFlo tank. Love it! It's totally automatic; I fill it and it automatically senses when to put fuel into the main tank. If you have a long bed truck like I do, I also have a DeeZee below rail tool box across the bed between the auxiliary tank and hitch. Not enough room if short bed. For a tonneau cover I chose the Bak Flip F1.

Jim.Allison

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We also added a 60 gallon RDS, gravity fed, with a tool box that fits under the stock Ram bed cover.

rjr6150

We put in a Transfer Flow with the Trax 3 system along with the Pace Edwards Bedlocker. Had both in the old TV and enjoy the ease.

dwpkdavis

Darren, I don't know if you have noticed my setup, but I have a DeeZee 40 gal tank in the bed. (no toolbox) I use a plastic toolbox in front of my tank that I lock with a padlock. I have the Access Rollup Tonneau. It works great and the tank height does not interfere with the cover.
I'll need to check your setup out. As we consider going full time sooner than planned I just now started research.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all the quick responses. I have some research to do now!

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Check this company out too. Made in the USA and very well made at that. I have the biggest tool chest they make and compared to the deezee and delta tool boxes I have had in the past there is no comparison in quality. My plan is to mount an aux fuel tank next to the tailgate so I can keep my tool chest. I plan to mount it with riv nuts so it is easily removable if I ever need the bed.

http://www.uwsta.com/c/storage-solu...series_aluminum_combo-l-shape-tank-and-chests

DougS

Doug S
I have a PaceEdwards cover and a Transfer Flow 37 gallon tank which gives me 600 miles towing range which is enough. The only time I think of the fuel tank is when I fuel up. I was able to install both the cover and tank myself with no problems.

meagle

I have a Blakfip f1 tonneau cover on my truck. Easy to use, clean installation, and works well towing a fifth wheel. On a previous truck I had a transfer flow aux. tank installed at their factory in Chico, California. They did an excellent job installing the tank and it worked perfectly for many thousands of miles. Both were great additions to enhance our RV experience.

JWONA

We put in a Transfer Flow with the Trax 3 system along with the Pace Edwards Bedlocker. Had both in the old TV and enjoy the ease.

I have looked into the Pace Edwards and the Truck Cover USA. I love on a culdesac and have to turn very sharp to get turned around. Have you had any problems with clearance when turning sharp? Thank you.

macjj

Like jnhobe I have a 50 gal custom tank with a 6 in tray for tools. Also have an Advanced Flip top cover (4 sections) that acts as the tool box/tank cover, and the other three sections fold to expose the hitch. Yes It toes make the hitch difficult to see while hitching, so I installed a rear camera on the cab above the light. Before that I used the magnetic tennis balls (used in towed trailer hookup), to guide me in. Once part is both section of the tonneau lock seperatly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

dwpkdavis

Hi all,

I ended up putting on a BakFlip F1 and added the trailer camera option to my '17 GMC. Snow was easy to push off on the BakFlip tonneau cover! I'm still doing research on the tank/tool combo. A few questions I have for those with aux tanks. Do you have an external fuel filter setup before it goes into the truck tank? Which pump setup works best? Any additional additives for the external tank?

A few tank setups I'm considering:
KSH Marine - http://kshmarine.com/45-gall.htm
UWS - http://www.uwsta.com/p/uws-aluminum-transfer-tank-45-gallon-combo-tank-black?pp=12

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have a 115 gallon tank from Dually Depot in Elkhart, IN. It has a pump to pull fuel into the OEM tank, and the pump and filter are mounted to the side rail of the truck. We don't use our big tank except for longer trips, so we usually change the filter 1-2 times a year, so it's fairly new each time we need to use the tank.

Last year, the pump was starting to fail, so we bought a new one. Same brand but better pump than the original. Here's a link to the pump:

Carter P4600HP In-Line Electric Fuel Pump https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CIQ5EA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_CQTTybF8XKJPJ

ddec647bf766dcda9077257ba5fe7e9b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldelmer1

I have the KSH 50 gallon with tool box.

I've had it installed in 3 different trucks so far, 2006 Ford, 2011 & 2016 RAM. Other 2 trucks I used a pump, this time I'm doing gravity feed.

When I installed it into the 2016 RAM, I needed a bigger Y pipe to cut into the factory fill neck. I called KSH and they said just use the 2.5 inch Y that I had, make the clamp tighter. But I need a 2.75 inch Y pipe.

So I called RDS and got their install kit and used it. Its the correct size Y pipe.

I have a NAPA Gold inline filter in the tubing from the tank to the Y pipe.

Good quality tank, its almost 10 years old and still working fine.

TxRoadWarrior362

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but a few have mentioned rear view cameras for ease of hook up. Are their threads that talk about the aftermarket cameras for the cab of the truck?