GlowStep installation

Lou_and_Bette

I placed my order for a set of GlowSteps on 3 November and it was acknowledged on 7 November. The message indicated they had received my order and the steps were "in production." I received the steps 10 November and installed them today. The install was straight forward and easy enough that this 70 y/o guy was able to do it by himself. The steps work very easily, are very stable, and are a big improvement over the steel steps installed by the factory. ONE WORD OF CAUTION - if you are planning to order some of these steps, I believe there has been a change in how they are made. All the previous posts mentioned the use of "shims" as it seemed the steps were manufactured in certain widths and.you received a set just under your measured width and thus required the use of the shim kits you ordered along with the steps. Now, I believe they are custom building the steps to your measurements and no shims are needed. My steps were the width, 27 1/4", I had reported but when I removed the OEM steps my width was slightly smaller. Luckily, with a little persuasion, I was able to expand the bracket and complete the install. So, measure twice and err on the smaller side. Unlike cutting a piece of wood where it is better to cut long since you can always remove some wood but can't put it back on, with these steps you can always do something to add to the width in several ways but you CANNOT MAKE THEM NARROWER.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Put mine on last weekend. Also had to put some slight pressure on the mounting brackets to get the steps between them.
f1a913a5d0c3b72e2b61634faafc9498.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
What do they look like when they are closed. Gus, it looks like there is a locking bar on the right side.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
7b74cfd728b39c6514c8c57ed20d7d1b.jpg

Here's mine closed. Yes there is a little lever that latches down to keep them in place. A lock can be added.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
As you can see in Erica's picture, there is also a locking D-Ring/Pin on the left side.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Thanks everyone for the reply. We just added the alumiThread steps last year at the National Rally which are good and definitely better than the lightweight metal steps that came on the coach but we both have thought about the flexing as you step on the bottom step. We have even thought about getting a small jack and putting it under the bottom step. Ah well - more $$ to spend.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I can tell you we REALLY NOTICED the difference between our Torklift steps and all others out there at the RV show. We went in and out of many many rigs, and every time, we said "man, I miss my steps!"

Because every rig had an issue-- even though they were in a convention center with level concrete floors, the step sizes would vary. Either too low or too high, the steps from ground to in the rig were not equal. All the metal steps creaked and flexed. Even the aluminum ones flexed.

Montana happens to be putting Torklift Revolution Steps on, STANDARD. We went in, and though I didn't like the Montana, I confirmed how much I love my steps!!

Skywrench

Full Timer
Those GlowSteps look awesome. We went with the porta-deck setup and love it. It isn't attached to the trailer so there is no movement or flex while walking up/down the steps. The steps and deck have a rock solid feel when you are on them. The railings on the stairs are a nice feature too. The downside to port-a-deck is that it takes up storage while traveling.

ncc1701e

Those GlowSteps look awesome. We went with the porta-deck setup and love it. It isn't attached to the trailer so there is no movement or flex while walking up/down the steps. The steps and deck have a rock solid feel when you are on them. The railings on the stairs are a nice feature too. The downside to port-a-deck is that it takes up storage while traveling.

Looking at the porta-deck setup. How are you liking the deck after as few months? Really curious about the amount of space required for storage and weight?

Tom

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
As you can see in Erica's picture, there is also a locking D-Ring/Pin on the left side.

I recently moved the locking pin to the right side of the steps as I kept skinning my knuckles on the yellow side light.

ProwlerGlowStep6-P3160590.jpg ProwlerGlowStep5-P3160596.jpg