Dish Network

Grey Ghost

I presently have Dish and I always have a huge problem finding a satellite and getting to lock in all green. I've worked with the local Dish distribiter and also Dish Network but still have a difficult time with it. I've had Direct in the past and never had a problem with it. Now I've got Dish, a new 500 Dish, the book from the distributor that give you the correct everything by zip code and a new receiver, but still have problems. I've got a portable tripod, a satellite finder on my phone, a level on my tripod and everything they have suggested. My wife is about to stop going out if we continue with this problem. Anyone out there have any suggestions to save both our marriage and our camping days? HELP!!!!:cool:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
a Winegard auto aiming Dish on the roof? That's what Santa is bringing us. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noofear

I've had mine for 9 months now and I've had pretty much zero problems with it, that would be my advice for a quick easy setup, find the satellite and have TV within 5 minutes while you are still setting up other things. Well worth the money for me as I'm alone and trying to see if the receiver was locked on was a huge pain while trying to aim.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Noofear

I'm sorry I have a dish auto aim system like travel Tigers getting for Christmas

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We bought a Winegard Carryout several years ago because of exactly the same problem that you have, and it's the best thing I have bought. Never be without one again.

Having said that, my Dish receiver died this afternoon and I'm told that they will send me a replacement but it takes 3-5 business days to get it. OTA television sucks!

MTPockets

We used our Dish Tailgater for nearly four years full time traveling and never had a problem with the auto alignment. Just sat it down and turned it on and let it do its thing.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Here's the issue you have to decide. If you want to be able to record multiple shows on multiple channels at the same time and playback on different sets, (Dish Hopper and Joey setup) you must use the Winegard rooftop mount unit. The portables do not support the Hopper/Joeys.

Chippendale

I have a Dish "cube style Tailgater" which may now be discontinued. It worked fine until last August and then it started working like I do, every now and then, if I have to. It has gotten to where most of the time now it can't find the satellites even if there is not a tree in view. I am thinking something is loose inside the cube that is preventing it from searching but then will sometimes let it find maybe one satellite. Does anyone know if there is a way to test the Tailgater to see if it is even searching?

LBR

I have a Dish "cube style Tailgater" which may now be discontinued. It worked fine until last August and then it started working like I do, every now and then, if I have to. It has gotten to where most of the time now it can't find the satellites even if there is not a tree in view. I am thinking something is loose inside the cube that is preventing it from searching but then will sometimes let it find maybe one satellite. Does anyone know if there is a way to test the Tailgater to see if it is even searching?
Ours is a bit finicky too...sometimes needs to recheck for satellites 3 to 4 times before locking onto them in a clear, unobstructed sky. A couple times can't find all satellites and we just run it and watch according.

We know the antenna inside the cube has got to be so very small, so we just strike up the lack of locking on as that.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Ours started doing the same thing. Bit the bullet and got a new model.

wdk450

I did a Google search and came up with a You Tube video about replacing a rubber drive wheel in the VuCube. Maybe this is a common problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUoXKWbxPzU

wdk450

I have been doing a triple Western Satellite Dish Network (110, 119, 129 degrees) tripod setup since 2009. I have learned a lot over the years about the Dish system and its quirks.

If you are having a lot of problems, eliminate as many of the cables and connections in your antenna to receiver feed (temporarily) until you have worked out the bugs. I recently had a weird problem with the 2nd tuner signal being low (1st tuner OK) which I tracked down to bad frequency bandwidth in the cable from the dish to the trailer. Swapping out that cable fixed things. At one point in that troubleshooting I ran the cable from the antenna through a window and directly connected it to the receiver separator device, bypassing all of the trailer wiring.

When I first set up, I get the tripod positioned, level, and weighted down. I check/set the skew on the dish. Since I don't travel far, elevation should be good enough from the last use to get satellites. I use a digital compass to figure the approximate aiming angle, and then set up the dish pointing about 20 degrees EAST of that azimuth. I have the receiver on the aiming screen, with it set to the 119 degree satellite, transponder 21 (21 is usually the strongest signal on all 3 satellites). I then connect a satellite meter at the dish in line with the coax to the receiver. I swing the dish West slowly watching the meter. You will see 1 large signal peak (the 110 satellite), then a 2nd smaller signal peak. That 2nd peak should be the 119 satellite. Try slightly pulling the dish up-down to see if you get a stronger signal with an elevation change. Adjust the elevation, if needed. I know it is extra work, but once I think I have the azimuth aim right, I remove the satellite meter from the cable, as it seems to prevent the LMB switching signals from the receiver from getting to the LMB switch. Go inside and see if you have a green bar on the 119 satellite. Wait at least 15 seconds between switching satellites, or any aiming changes before looking for a result on the aiming screen. Hopefully you have the correct satellite signal and good signal strength on all 3 satellites on the aiming screen. If you have the same satellite shown being received on all 3 LMB's, DO NOT MOVE THE DISH AIMING, but reboot the receiver. Many times the reboot will bring up the correct 3 signals from what was wrong before the reboot. Be sure to secure the aiming bolts before finishing up. If you have the 110 on the 119 LMB then you need to move the dish West to the next aiming peak. If you have the 129 satellite on the 119 LMB, then you need to swing the dish East to the next signal peak. Trying to do aiming with the dish aiming screen alone, is about impossible in my opinion due to the signal change response time lag. The inline meter gives immediate response.

You may want to pay for Dish to send a technician out to check your set-up. Many, many RVers use dishes on tripods routinely, and the fact that they can be set down where trees and other obstacles are not in the way is a definite plus. At one RV park along I80 in Iowa that had an extensive total tree canopy, I was able to set up my dish 200 feet from the trailer outside the foliage and get a signal.

Good luck!!

pegmikef

I did a Google search and came up with a You Tube video about replacing a rubber drive wheel in the VuCube. Maybe this is a common problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUoXKWbxPzU

Thanks. After four years my cube style tailgater bit the bullet so I now have the new style which works well. I still have the old one so now I am going to take it apart and see if that wheel or drive belt (I thought I saw one in the video) are the problem. I looks like an easy fix. I would not mind having a backup or maybe I could just sell it.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
The new Dish receiver came in today and after about 45 minutes of setup time, we are back in business. The picture on this new receiver is better than the old one that died.

Cabindoc

If I may jump in and add to the broader conversation (Hijack) I have the only style Carryout, now called Pathway X2 and was using a VIP211Z but wasn't getting jack for channels. The tech rep talked me into upgrading to the wally for an extra $50. Haven't tried it yet, but my question is will this carryout only get 1 sat and therefore limit my channels just by that? should I invest in a triple LNB? or a carryout G2?

Sorry for the hijack to the OP

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We've been using the GM1518 automatic portable dish and the DISH ViP211k receiver for several seasons...until this past summer. The trees to the south of our seasonal site have reached a point that the line of sight to the satelites is blocked once the leaves appear. So, my question for you is your southern line of sight free of any trees? I had the local technician come out and check and even he couldn't find a clear sighting. So our equipment will remain at home until I decide to sell it. Wasn't all that much we wanted to watch live, anyways, and I can still pull up programs the day after broadcast on my laptop and send them to the TV.

In the past, when I couldn't get the system up and running, I would call DISH and they could send an activation code to our receiver that did the trick. Usually needed it after long periods of non-use.

pegmikef

Thanks. After four years my cube style tailgater bit the bullet so I now have the new style which works well. I still have the old one so now I am going to take it apart and see if that wheel or drive belt (I thought I saw one in the video) are the problem. I looks like an easy fix. I would not mind having a backup or maybe I could just sell it.

Sure enough, the wheel is the same a the one in the video and there was debris all over the case from where is was being stripped of the wheel. Called customer service at King Controls and they put it in the mail the same day. Should have it soon. About ten bucks.

mlpeloquin

I presently have Dish and I always have a huge problem finding a satellite and getting to lock in all green. I've worked with the local Dish distribiter and also Dish Network but still have a difficult time with it. I've had Direct in the past and never had a problem with it. Now I've got Dish, a new 500 Dish, the book from the distributor that give you the correct everything by zip code and a new receiver, but still have problems. I've got a portable tripod, a satellite finder on my phone, a level on my tripod and everything they have suggested. My wife is about to stop going out if we continue with this problem. Anyone out there have any suggestions to save both our marriage and our camping days? HELP!!!!:cool:

I have the Direct TV home dish. Built a PVC pipe stand that sits it about a foot off the ground. This is a high def dish. When I had the standard def dish, I used a cheep satellite meter which would find the DISH 101 easy. The DISH satellite has much more power than the Direct TV. I would then turn the dish and move it down and get the 101 for the Direct TV. With the stronger signal from the DISH satellite it is easier to locate. With the high def I use a Bird Dog Satellite meter. I just point toward the satellite direction and swing the dish left to right and up and down. Find it quickly and easy. The meter is satellite and signal specific so it will find your satellite quick and easy without having to rely on a mechanical setting. The meter displays signal strength so fine adjustments are quick and easy. You don't even have to be level. I would suggest getting a good meter or go to an automatic satellite dish. Sorry about the picture rotation. This stand withstood 50+ MPH gusts in Las Vegas last year without moving.

ANT ASSM 4.JPG ANT Meter 2.JPG