ATF: Cyclone - Energy Management System Upgrade

tmitch333

I was wondering if there is an energy management system upgrade available for Cyclone toy haulers manufactured prior to the 2017 model year? If so, I would be interested in receiving information and what is involved when performing this upgrade.

danemayer

Hi tmitch333, '

On Landmark 365, when the PCS controller sheds power to one of the air conditioners, it turns off the compressor but leaves the blower running. I'd assume Cyclones have the same arrangement. That implies some wiring differences that might be hard to do after initial build. Whether it would be possible to use existing wiring is unknown and I doubt the factory would be willing to give you engineering advice on how to do so.

Also I think the circuit breaker panel is different, so that would have to be changed along with adding the small controller.

You might be able to buy the circuit breaker panel and parts from Heartland Parts Dep't, but I'm pretty sure you'd be on your own to figure out how to make it all work in your rig.

LBR

Here is a pic of our breaker panel and PCS..a later 2017 Cyclone build...hope it helps.

a714f3558877a4e0004932102772f1af.jpg

b08ad6b8ef29c01fb1c94a30a1c0c604.jpg

danemayer

Here's a picture with the covers off. I believe behind the buss bars at the bottom are relays and control circuitry.

Attachments

• Power Control System notated.jpg
    Power Control System notated.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 103

tmitch333

Thanks for providing the pics, I hope the upgrade is available where all 3 AC's can run on shore power without worrying about tripping the breakers.

LBR

Thanks for providing the pics, I hope the upgrade is available where all 3 AC's can run on shore power without worrying about tripping the breakers.
That is how this one is set up, so says the booklet....all 3 ACs can run until a user defined heavy load is applied (electric heater, microwave, hair dryer, etc) The PCS will sense that, then shut down an AC until user's load is shut off, then will pick up that AC again automatically.

When on 50A shore power, the PCS calls out 50A on the display....when 5.5K gen set is operating, PCS calls out 45A ( I believe only 2ACs can operate?)...when plugged into 15A, it looks like I can manually select 15A or 20A....I haven't been on 30A to see how it reacts yet.

danemayer

I wouldn't expect that Heartland will provide an upgrade kit. You'd have to buy the piece parts and figure it all out, and run any necessary additional wiring.

Jwells

LBR i have a 2017 4113 with this same setup my breaker box ix a exact match and the digital monitor is on the side of the fire place but there is also a orange switch that when down is off and when on is lit up orange. Is this related? i tried asking the tech when i picked up the unit but he didn't know. I want to know if its ok to run all 3 a/c when on 50amp shore power any insite would be greatly appreciated. I tried a search but this was as close as a thread as i could find that was related.

LBR

LBR i have a 2017 4113 with this same setup my breaker box ix a exact match and the digital monitor is on the side of the fire place but there is also a orange switch that when down is off and when on is lit up orange. Is this related? i tried asking the tech when i picked up the unit but he didn't know. I want to know if its ok to run all 3 a/c when on 50amp shore power any insite would be greatly appreciated. I tried a search but this was as close as a thread as i could find that was related.
If it is a 120V flip up/down toggle switch, we have one too that is unknown what it does yet as well....It doesn't do what we were told during our walk thru.

Jwells

If it is a 120V flip up/down toggle switch, we have one too that is unknown what it does yet as well....It doesn't do what we were told during our walk thru.

Talk to a tech at heartland that's the tank heaters that are 120V the other switch marked yeti is the 12v water line heaters

DirtyMax88

If running all 3 A/C's is your primary goal, then I think there is another alternative. A good buddy of mine has a 16 cyclone, he had a separate 30 amp breaker/service ran so he could use all three at the same time, it might be easier, I'm not sure. Maybe others on the forum have tried this as well. Hopefully he will chime in.

avvidclif

I don't have the Power Management System but eliminated the switch that only allowed 2 AC's. On 50A service I can run all 3 with no problems.

Todster

Here is a pic of our breaker panel and PCS..a later 2017 Cyclone build...hope it helps.

a714f3558877a4e0004932102772f1af.jpg

b08ad6b8ef29c01fb1c94a30a1c0c604.jpg

My apologies for the interruption, but I have a quick question. Our new cyclone 3513 came with this display in our control center. But it doesn't power up or do anything. Is it supposed to be connected to something? Service group at the dealership doesn't know. Go figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBR

It doesn't display at all when plugged into shore power or the generator is running?

Todster

Nothing at all. Shore or genny or battery. If you don't mind my asking, what is it? Power monitor or controller in some way?

jbeletti

My apologies for the interruption, but I have a quick question. Our new cyclone 3513 came with this display in our control center. But it doesn't power up or do anything. Is it supposed to be connected to something? Service group at the dealership doesn't know. Go figure.

I suggest you remove it from the wall to ensure the cord is plugged into it. If yes, then follow that cord to the Power Control System (PCS) board which is likely part of your breaker panel or very close to it.

This wall item looks like the display for the PCS. I'm not familiar with this version but it looks like a more compact version of what's in my coach. Via the display, it's likely that you can learn the current draw of controlled loads and on each leg of power etc.

LBR

Nothing at all. Shore or genny or battery. If you don't mind my asking, what is it? Power monitor or controller in some way?

It is a monitor that shows amp draws, service amps available, and air conditioner load sheds. I've had my panel it's mounted in off 5-6 times working on the backside wiring, but couldn't tell you for sure if it is hooked up with a wire harness or separate wires to pins as I wasn't paying attention to that particular item. It may have a wire unpluged or the harness was never plugged it....may be an easy fix if you went investigationg!

danemayer

The PCS device in Landmark 365 manages power consumption to fit within available power to the coach. So if you are trying to run 3 A/C units, dryer, microwave/convection, water heater, it will shed loads in a priority order to keep the most important stuff running during peak usage.

I would assume the Cyclone version is similar, but might not be as comprehensive. I think it allowed Heartland to get rid of the switch for running 2 of 3 A/C units, so it should be at least managing the A/C units to available power.

The PCS documentation describes a "limp home" mode (in the Landmark 365 model) so if there's a controller failure, you can still operate manually. I think when the cable is disconnected at the monitor end, it's in "limp home" mode. Details are sketchy, so that's partly guesswork.

Anyway, if your monitor is dark, but all the 120V appliances work, it might just be unplugged. If you find a connector that's disconnected, and plug it in, and stuff stops working, you'll want to unplug it again, call Heartland and get to your dealer to get the PCS equipment replaced.