“What the heck is this”?

Mburtsvt

Time to play Americas new game -

So the set up. We returned from our last trip of 2016 and as I was putting out the slides in our garage, (yes - I can put out the slides out in my garage), my wife heard a metal piece hit the concrete floor.

Looking around I found the two below pieces of metal on the floor near the front passenger side of the RV. I looked all around under the RV to see if it was a part of the slide out, but did not see anything amiss. It could have been throw up from the road from driving, but I would think that getting two small pieces would be strange. They could have fell off of the slides when I was putting them out. I ran the slides in and out and they seem to be OK.

So “ What the heck is this”?

IMG_1420.jpgIMG_1421.jpg

TikiDawg

These brackets are attached to your slide topper awnings. Take a look at the top of your other slide.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Steve has a few extra ones.
Dometic slide topper stops. They are so the wind didn't catch and unroll your slide toppers going down the road.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mburtsvt

Team: You guys, (i’m assuming) nailed it. It is the Slide Topper anti-bellowing device. I did find the black replacement ones on line. Now I need to find out why it happened. Just by putting the slid out it pulled away and bend and broke the metal piece. Wow!

Of course I will let the warranty adviser at my dealership see if its a covered Heartland issue. I don’t know if it’s systematic of another problem.

TikiDawg

I was able to figure out why one mine failed. There was only one screw holding it on and that screw has started to back out. This exceeded the tolerance for the arm to spin without hitting the metal bar that's under the topper. When the arm rotated, it hit the bar and bent/broke the bracket. When I installed the new one, I put in multiple screws and all the others as they only had one screw in them.

TikiDawg

Warranty did cover mine and Jerrod gave me a couple of spares.

danemayer

The position of the anti-bellowing device, when the slide is closed, has to be such that the topper can make about 3/4 rotation without the device hitting the wall of the trailer. If it's positioned incorrectly, I believe it can rotate into the side wall.

Check for a mark on the wall which would indicate that it did hit. If you find one, that could explain the failure.

As for warranty, if the toppers were factory installed, Heartland would cover it. If locally installed, it would fall to the installer.

Mburtsvt

The position of the anti-bellowing device, when the slide is closed, has to be such that the topper can make about 3/4 rotation without the device hitting the wall of the trailer. If it's positioned incorrectly, I believe it can rotate into the side wall.

Check for a mark on the wall which would indicate that it did hit. If you find one, that could explain the failure.

As for warranty, if the toppers were factory installed, Heartland would cover it. If locally installed, it would fall to the installer.

I did order it with the toppers. I'll go back and check for the marks.

Thanks for the suggestion.